JL Rubicon 35's on stock rims?

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cj5, Jeep Jl Rubicon
Hi Fellow Rubi owners. I ordered a 18 Rubicon and wanted to get my plan together. I want to put 315x70x17 or 35x12.5x17 BFG A/T or equivalent on my stock rims, and use a Teraflex level kit (2" front 1"rear) https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-leveling-kit-jk-1155200.html.

I want to keep it as close to stock as possible to not scare the wife, and since 90% is pavement use and about 4-8 times a year it will be off road. but when off road I will want to release the sway bar. I'm guessing I will lose some articulation but thought I'd see if anyone has any real world feedback? Tires rub? Wheel spacers needed? Bump stops spacer? Once the aftermarket catches up I'll look at a real 2" lift. rims etc. Thanks!
Sponsored

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi Fellow Rubi owners. I ordered a 18 Rubicon and wanted to get my plan together. I want to put 315x70x17 or 35x12.5x17 BFG A/T or equivalent on my stock rims, and use a Teraflex level kit (2" front 1"rear) https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-leveling-kit-jk-1155200.html.

I want to keep it as close to stock as possible to not scare the wife, and since 90% is pavement use and about 4-8 times a year it will be off road. but when off road I will want to release the sway bar. I'm guessing I will lose some articulation but thought I'd see if anyone has any real world feedback? Tires rub? Wheel spacers needed? Bump stops spacer? Once the aftermarket catches up I'll look at a real 2" lift. rims etc. Thanks!

Tires definitely don't rub so you won't need wheel spacers. I had the same plan, just wanted to make sure the 315's clear and compensate for the extra weight up front. I decided if I'm adding spacers, might as well do it right with bump stop extensions and sway bar drop. I went with the RE 2" kit and love it.

OP
OP
Tom k

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Ken! Good feedback. Who is RE?

OP
OP
Tom k

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ps. If you have a side pic of yours easy to post that would be great. What actual tire size did you go with and brand?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tom k

Tom k

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! It looks great!

lsp408

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
35 x 12.5 x 17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock Rubicon JL wheels with no lift or spacers. Runs absolutely fine. No rub and good clearance for city driving.

FullSizeRender.jpeg
No rub even when off-roading with suspension fully flex?

Sponsored

BearCounter

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU rubicon

Here is mine with BFG KM3 315/70/17 on stock wheels with rubicon express 2.5” lift

D71265A1-8CA0-4D13-B5CD-2B765B8D85C1.jpeg

9F3A5F6A-0437-4C37-A15C-A884EADACC83.jpeg

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
TL;DR you will need a 1/4” to 1/2” spacer to put a 12.5” wide tire on the stock rims on the spare tire mount.

Posting this for anyone else looking to put 35s on their stock rubicon wheels. It might already be posted somewhere but I did a lot of browsing the forum and did not see mention of needing a spacer for mounting the spare tire but I did.

Went to the tire shop today and like others they were skeptical I could just mount 35s. Happily I proved them wrong until it was time to throw the spare on.

Long story less long, ultimately I needed a 1/4” spacer and needed to take a dremel cutoff wheel and cut my bump stops about 1/4” shorter. I could have done two spacers and left the bump stops, but wanted to make sure I had enough thread on the lugs and also to keep the weight of the tire as close to the back as possible.

If you run an aftermarket rim you won’t have this issue but the stock Rubi wheels have a +44 offset

Last edited:

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Here's my contribution to the thread: 2 inch mopar lift, 35' STT Pros and 1.75' spidertrax spacers..............for a wider stance. No rubbing at all.

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_E1564.JPG

Rausch.PNG

Rausch1.png

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
TL;DR you will need a 1/4” to 1/2” spacer to put a 12.5” wide tire on the stock rims on the spare tire mount.

Posting this for anyone else looking to put 35s on their stock rubicon wheels. It might already be posted somewhere but I did a lot of browsing the forum and did not see mention of needing a spacer for mounting the spare tire but I did.

Went to the tire shop today and like others they were skeptical I could just mount 35s. Happily I proved them wrong until it was time to throw the spare on.

Long story less long, ultimately I needed a 1/4” spacer and needed to take a dremel cutoff wheel and cut my bump stops about 1/4” shorter. I could have done two spacers and left the bump stops, but wanted to make sure I had enough thread on the lugs and also to keep the weight of the tire as close to the back as possible.

If you run an aftermarket rim you won’t have this issue but the stock Rubi wheels have a +44 offset

Strange mine just mounted up fine to the spare carrier, no problems, it’s flush against the bump stops.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running a Mopar 2" lift, and 315 KO2's (Identical in size to 35x12.5 KM2's). I get no rub at all, at full flex, sway bar disconnected, and turned full lock.
l2Q3oQK.jpg
4SpLIdV.jpg
lO0np2j.jpg
Sponsored