Rubicon Steering & Tire Pressure?

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
I picked up a JLUR on Friday and almost immediately noticed the steering issues that others have posted about on here. Seem to recall there being recommendations to air down the tires a bit from their original factory settings as a first step. Currently the dash shows them ranging between 42-40 psi. What is the recommended psi for mostly highway driving? Thanks much.
Sponsored

Deleted member 18624

I picked up a JLUR on Friday and almost immediately noticed the steering issues that others have posted about on here. Seem to recall there being recommendations to air down the tires a bit from their original factory settings as a first step. Currently the dash shows them ranging between 42-40 psi. What is the recommended psi for mostly highway driving? Thanks much.
Should be listed on the driver door jam but I believe it's 37psi

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, there are recommendations to air down to spec, BUT, this will not cure the wandering issue. Tire pressure causes improper wear, changes in MPGs, and other things, but it will not make a steering wheel dance left and right to maintain a straight line.

The proper approach if your build date is winter or spring 2018 is to have the PCM flashed with the proper calibrations for your VIN first. THEN and only then if the problem isn't solved you can investigate your steering box. But, the software update usually cures the issue.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Tire pressure had EVERYTHING to do with my steering "WANDER" and by dropping it to 30 psi I now have NO DRIFT/NO WANDER/INSTANT FEEL/W NO STEERING WHEEL PLAY--

Now, mines a 2dr and I've heard of 4dr's having other steering problems, but

The front tire air pressure is VERY IMPORTANT to steering action-

W.E.

JIMBO

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Took my JLU Rubicon down to 33 psi, MUCH improved. The tires may wear a bit quicker but I don't care.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Yes, there are recommendations to air down to spec, BUT, this will not cure the wandering issue. Tire pressure causes improper wear, changes in MPGs, and other things, but it will not make a steering wheel dance left and right to maintain a straight line.

The proper approach if your build date is winter or spring 2018 is to have the PCM flashed with the proper calibrations for your VIN first. THEN and only then if the problem isn't solved you can investigate your steering box. But, the software update usually cures the issue.

Aired down to 37 psi over lunch and instantly noticed an improvement. Thanks everyone for your help!

1995YJ

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Rio Grande, 2018 JL Sport S 3.6L 6 Spd
Occupation
Firefighter
I’m down to 32-33 on a 2dr sport.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I run 36-37. Note, outside temperature has a big effect on tire pressure so keep an eye on that. I've seen 3-4 psi varying between really hot days and average days.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Aired down to 37 psi over lunch and instantly noticed an improvement. Thanks everyone for your help!
@Jeep4Life0112

DO recheck you tire pressures with a decent tire pressure gauge in the early morning before you drive the JL and before it gets hot outside.
Real bad idea to be adjusting psi in the afternoon.. "over lunch".

I found that with my Rubi, 36# psi was best overall. ALSO, be sure to telescope your steering wheel toward you so you are not reaching for the steering wheel while you are driving. You want a ben in your arms when steering.

You will notice steering seems to get even better after you get say 500 - 1,000 mile of the JL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Chemy350
@1995YJ

I chalk tested, drive tested, etc. and 32 and 33# psi was not as good as 36# .

Steering is overly slugglish lets call it when tires are inflated to 32 - 33#.

Sponsored

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon

How are people approaching the dealer with this? I just came back from Bullhead AZ and the drive out and back was scary when in the higher temps of 90s. Considerable play in steering of an inch or so. Required driving at 10&2 with a death grip to avoid moving into other lanes uncontrollably. I noticed my PSIs as expected in the warmer temps to rise 4/5psi so was around 41/42 psi when in the higher temps. When I got back to San Diego in the 70s the psi was back to 36/37 and the issue was gone. Lightly able to place the hand on steering wheel and steered the vehicle straight.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll put it like this: if you drop your tire pressure 5 pounds and it cures a wandering problem, then you never really had a wandering problem to begin with.

This has been hashed out in countless threads where all five of the tire brands/types used on JL have been tested, and at various pressures, and the true wandering issue stayed the exact same. Which is to be expected, of course.

As far as how to approach the dealership... just tell them that your Jeep wanders all over the road and you have been told by very reputable sources that the calibrations in the vehicle computer need to be updated.

Mine went from two hands on the wheel at all times to a totally different vehicle when I had my PCM flashed in June.

Where the water gets muddy is that people have demanded so many different fixes that what I have heard is Jeep is screwing with the steering boxes at the factory now. So, if your JL is a late build, the software flash may not cure it. This has turned into a real cluster.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
@Jeep4Life0112

DO recheck you tire pressures with a decent tire pressure gauge in the early morning before you drive the JL and before it gets hot outside.
Real bad idea to be adjusting psi in the afternoon.. "over lunch".

I found that with my Rubi, 36# psi was best overall. ALSO, be sure to telescope your steering wheel toward you so you are not reaching for the steering wheel while you are driving. You want a ben in your arms when steering.

You will notice steering seems to get even better after you get say 500 - 1,000 mile of the JL.
Thanks for the tip! It was about 90F when I deflated the tires so I will check with an actual gauge tomorrow morning to see how it changed.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'll just have to assume that you feel that I'm a drunkard/drugeeD, or live in a non-real world--

My post #4 is exactly the REAL DRIVING SITUATION and if you doubt my word, then I suggest you avoid any of my posts, because after driving off-road for over 64 years I have a VAGUE idea of solid axle tire tread and air pressure steering parameters--

If you're not happy with my opinion/ideas/remedies--complain to a MODERATOR and if you're right--BY BY !

W.E.

JIMBO

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
Tire pressure had EVERYTHING to do with my steering "WANDER" and by dropping it to 30 psi I now have NO DRIFT/NO WANDER/INSTANT FEEL/W NO STEERING WHEEL PLAY--

Now, mines a 2dr and I've heard of 4dr's having other steering problems, but

The front tire air pressure is VERY IMPORTANT to steering action-

W.E.

JIMBO
How is your low tire pressure warning not going off? My understanding is anything under 34 triggers it.
You are wasting gas and losing about 20 thousands miles on your tires.

I also think that some people (you for example because of having a 2 door) don't understand what us with 4 doors are going through. We (or I at least) have normal wandering, the issue is moving the wheel what we normally expect doesn't do anything and before we know it we have wandered more than usual. It's that damn 1 inch or so of free play.

And by the way Jimbo, relax, no one's pissing on your Corn Flakes.
Sponsored

Last edited: