Sponsored

My JLUR was hauled off on a flatbed today... 1890 miles

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Think I would pee my pants laughing if I would have seen the little Fiesta towing the mighty Rubicon. Hope it's just a loose linkage that can be easily fixed quickly!
I always replace the shifter bushings in all my cars with metal ones, and I'm always amazed how precarious the OEM shifter end links usually are. Often just a soft piece of rubber and maybe some super glue between your shifter linkage and transmission.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I got a loaner car free of charge. FCA and JeepCares arranged it through my dealership. I left with my loaner when the tow truck dropped of my JL. Had the loaner 2018 cherokee for about 10 days.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yup, had to call roadside service. Driving down the road, few miles from home. Shifted from 4th to 5th, heard a clunk then the shifter was loose in my hand. I took a video that I'll try to upload. All I had was 5th, neutral and 6th gear. No reverse.

Couldn't make it up a hill near my house. Used my Ford Fiesta to tow it home.

Really need it for a trip next weekend. Looks like jeep wave is only a one day rental? Ugh.

10722.jpeg

Good thing I had my Jeep branded tow strap, so a friggin Fiesta could tow me home.
10724.jpeg
So much for being “trail rated”. It’s not even “street rated”.

Good thing you weren’t on a trail when this happened.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've been on this forum since its inception, and what I'm noticing is that almost all the serious problems on these JLs are occurring on Rubicon models. There are a handful of exceptions, but 98% of the time it's a Rubicon that went haywire, or didn't make it home, or lost an engine, or whatever the case may be. Hmm...
I'm thinking that is coincidence more than conspiracy. Other than axles, transfer case and electric swaybar disco, they all use the same parts.

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I don't know of any dealership that will give you a loaner car. Normally you have to rent one.
My dealership has provided me with a loaner every time at no charge, I've brought it in. Plus I get unlimited free car washes with microfiber wipe down. The valet drives the jeep over to the waiting area. The inside waiting area has: Free coffee, soft drinks, popcorn and wait for it...... ice cream. My kids ask me every weekend to go wash the Jeep. All of this true. Not trolling.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I've been on this forum since its inception, and what I'm noticing is that almost all the serious problems on these JLs are occurring on Rubicon models. There are a handful of exceptions, but 98% of the time it's a Rubicon that went haywire, or didn't make it home, or lost an engine, or whatever the case may be. Hmm...
You're not alone. I've noticed this as well. But it does seem like a lot more Rubicon owners are on here.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You're not alone. I've noticed this as well. But it does seem like a lot more Rubicon owners are on here.
I'd like somebody to do a poll. I bet the Rubicon owners don't outnumber Sport/Sahara owners. I bet it would follow sales numbers by percentage pretty closely.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
That’s strange! Every single time I take my Jeep in I get a loaner (enterprise) paid for by dealer. I never pay a dollar and at times I’ve kept the loaner almost 2 weeks. Maybe it’s a Florida thing, but I’ve never had to pay for a loaner on any car under warranty for any repair, even if it’s a nonsense complaint (slight wind noise) they can’t replicate.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I do not know what the linkage in a 2018 Rubicon looks like but if it is like any of the many I have owned at one time or another, it sounds like the linkage came apart at the shifter. If OP had small tool kit with him he may have been able to fix or "rig it to get himself home or to dealer. Good thing for any Jeeper to carry at least screw drivers, small box end open end wrench set and some stainless wire. Cant tell how many times it got me moving again in the last fifty years of driving.

A pin with a "C" clip failure is what came to mind when reading OPs post. With today's Jeep or other vehicles its hard telling. I have had "c" clips pop off that were not seated completely when installed. Ive actually done it myself on a snapper mower a few years back. For what that's worth...

Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I agree with that assessment. My Sahara hasn't had a single problem except maybe loose steering which might just be in my head.

All serious problems appear to be Rubicon based except maybe the weld issue, that one might go across party lines :)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I agree with that assessment. My Sahara hasn't had a single problem except maybe loose steering which might just be in my head.

All serious problems appear to be Rubicon based except maybe the weld issue, that one might go across party lines :)
We have 7 K miles and 0 problems with our JLUR. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with it because nothing is wrong with it....I wonder if that's covered by factory warranty?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don't know of any dealership that will give you a loaner car. Normally you have to rent one.
Don't know about FCA but my Acura and Volvo dealers always provided me with a loaner . . . without even asking, they just assumed I'd want one. Once with the Volvo they were waiting on a part and with their approval I drove the loaner from Chicago to Florida and back for a vacation. Just another data point.

jeff72034

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
My wife gets a free laoner from the BMW dealership in Grapevine, TX, everytime her X5 is in the shop. It could be an oil change and they lend her a car for free. Also, it only costs $25 for them to send the loaner car and pick up her car. We LOVE driving the free BMW for a day!

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i am pretty sure these manual transmissions are like any other, and don't have a linkage. they would be a top loader, where shifter goes straight into the top of the gear box.

also, why wouldn't you just shift t-case into 4low and drive it home or to the dealer using 5th and 6th. with a bit of care, i'm sure you could do it, even if you haven't done anything like this before.
i've had rear drive shafts break (u-joint), and shifted into 4wd to drive it home via front wheel drive on more than one occasion.
i've even driven a couple hundred kms without the use of a clutch, when the slave/linkage has failed.

sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, if you know the workings of a vehicle...
Sponsored