Sponsored

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

• Total voters

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

The manual doesn't call for synthetic as necessary, but permits it. Will you be using synthetic anyways?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Since Jeep recommend 0W-20, I think you are kind of forced to use full synthetic or a synthetic blend if you can find it.

Not sure you can find dino oil in 0W-20.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Since Jeep recommend 0W-20, I think you are kind of forced to use full synthetic or a synthetic blend if you can find it.

Not sure you can find dino oil in 0W-20.
Hey good point. That hadn't occurred to me. My current vehicle takes 5W20 and it's available in all types.

I just checked and it looks like 0W20 is only available in full synthetic or blend. There's no such conventional.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I've seen arguments for using Dino during break in and then switch to synthetic. I've also seen arguments that claim the need to break in with Dino is a myth. I have a good bit of experience rebuilding 2 stroke engines and understand the need to seat the rings and create good ring seal. But GM ships the Vette with Mobil 1 in it. I'm on the fence and am not so sure using synthetic from the beginning is a bad thing.
Yeah, despite my past practices practices, and my mention that more new engines are designed for synthetic from the start, it does look like synthetic will have to play a role regardless, as unfortunately there is no pure Dino 0W, so a blend at the very least will be required. Doesn’t matter too much, but ugh tossing synthetic after a 500 mile mfr debris removal change will be a tough pill... err... bill to swallow.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hey folks, just to add to this discussion, what *brand* of oil and filter will you be using?

And does anyone know what brand of oil and filter Mopar sources?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I've been using Mobil 1 for going on 20 years now in my Corvette, imagine I'd stick with that for the Wrangler. I keep an eye out for when it goes on sale and pick up a few of the 5 qt bottles at a time.

Sponsored

Jimbobcooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06 and WRX
Synthetic only in all of my vehicles. I personally use Mobil 1.
Even though Mobile 1 isn’t a full synthetic? I’m personally a huge fan of Penzoil Platinum and Royal Purple. Even though the latter is kinda expensive, I feel it’s worth it since you’re investing 10’s of thousands of dollars into something.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Even though Mobile 1 isn’t a full synthetic? I’m personally a huge fan of Penzoil Platinum and Royal Purple. Even though the latter is kinda expensive, I feel it’s worth it since you’re investing 10’s of thousands of dollars into something.
They still make fully synthetic don't they?

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
The oil that Jeep sends from the factory is a real good break in oil. Every savvy tech I have ever talked to say to change that break in oil and filter after 3000 miles and you are good to go. Every 4000-5000 after that with a blend on the Pentastar depending on conditions. They say you can use the full synthetic but don't need to.

Jimbobcooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06 and WRX
They still make fully synthetic don't they?
Yes they do. I’ve just personally had bad experiences with Mobile 1 that’s all. I would burn a half quart of oil after 3000 or so miles. I switched up to Royal Purple and have had no problems at all.