Sponsored

Falcon Wildpeak AT3W 33s

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
I just ordered Fallen Wildpeak AT3W in LT285/70/17 which are E rated tires. These are going on Sahara with stock suspension. The question I have is that is the ride going to super rough compared to what I have now? I have read that noise is not that bad on these tires but can't figure out how the ride is. They do have a SL rated tire as well but I am not if you can put those on JLU as the tires says it's for passenger car.
Sponsored

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered Fallen Wildpeak AT3W in LT285/70/17 which are E rated tires. These are going on Sahara with stock suspension. The question I have is that is the ride going to super rough compared to what I have now? I have read that noise is not that bad on these tires but can't figure out how the ride is. They do have a SL rated tire as well but I am not if you can put those on JLU as the tires says it's for passenger car.
E load range tires are LT (light truck) tires. SL (standard load) tires are passenger car tires. You can mount either on your Jeep and actually, most Wranglers come from the factory with SL tires. The E load range tires are 10 ply vs the 2 ply of typical SL tires. So, to answer your question, yes, the E tires are going to be much stiffer and give you a much firmer ride. You can lower the air pressure in them, but if you lower them too much your steering will become vague, you might feel a bit of swaying, and they can generate enough heat to damage the rubber when driven underinflated at highway speeds. If it were me, I'd switch the order to the SL rated tires. They should be less expensive and probably a good bit lighter in weight than those LT E rated tires you ordered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thashef

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
E load range tires are LT (light truck) tires. SL (standard load) tires are passenger car tires. You can mount either on your Jeep and actually, most Wranglers come from the factory with SL tires. The E load range tires have a 10 ply sidewall vs the 2 ply sidewall of typical SL tires. So, to answer your question, yes, the E tires are going to be much stiffer and give you a much firmer ride. You can lower the air pressure in them, but if you lower them too much your steering will become vague, you might feel a bit of swaying, and they can generate enough heat to damage the rubber when driven underinflated at highway speeds. If it were me, I'd switch the order to the SL rated tires. They should be less expensive and probably a good bit lighter in weight than those LT E rated tires you ordered.
Thanks for the response. Is there any side effects to SL rated tires? It seems like the Wildpeak are 4-ply in the SL version. For me it's mainly highway driving and local city .

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. Is there any side effects to SL rated tires? It seems like the Wildpeak are 4-ply in the SL version. For me it's mainly highway driving and local city .
I think 4 ply SL to 6 ply LT (C load) tires are the best compromise between toughness and road comfort for most of us. I think they'll be just fine for you.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
You do not want E load tires unless you need them for serious rock crawler and nasty off road stuff, these will ride really harsh for what you say you are using them for. I had the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in the ST tire on my 2017 JK unlimited and it was an Awesome aggressive looking tire and the sidewalls are plenty tuff for most off-road adventures! The tire is also lighter at about 50lbs so my gas mileage didn’t suffer really from stock and I did not have to buy the extra reinforcement for the rear tailgate either it will hold it just fine! I did a lot of research before buying this tire and it was rated number one in ride and handling and off-road grip with all the other tires it was compared to, also I think I only paid around $160 each for these so really inexpensive for what you get, you will love these tires in the SL rating but I bet you will hate them in the E load rating that you absolutely don’t need it sounds like..good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thashef

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
Thanks for the advice. I am gonna call Simple Tire first thing and see if I can change my order.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Thanks for the advice. I am gonna call Simple Tire first thing and see if I can change my order.
Hey what did you wind up doing ? E rated? How has it been so far
Sponsored