Sponsored

Mopar Steel bumpers vs Aftermarket

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I'm going with the factory steel bumpers first. Later, after I finish some other mods, I'm sure I will change them. Usually these factory steel bumpers have a pretty good resale value.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I had it powder coated when I got it. I don't care for the crackle finish. Other than that, it is stock. I haven't hit anything. :) Was yours a paint issue?
Mine didn't bolt onto the frame properly because the mounting holes were off. And yeah, the powder-coating flaked off on the corners by simply handling it. The rear was even worse. A lot of the bolts weren't the correct length, the latch for the tire carrier was questionable, and the spindle was already rusted. Luckily, I was able to return them and get a full refund.

I don't own a lot of Rugged Ridge stuff, but other than their A-pillar switch pod, not a single thing I have bought from them has come out of the box without some kind of issue or flaw. I bought their mirror relocation bracket years back and one of them wasn't welded right and bent. I bought their sun shade top and a few of the holes and bungee loops were missing.

Again, this was years ago. Perhaps things have changed or improved, but no Rugged Ridge for me.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I was going to order the cheaper standard plastic OEM bumpers, then replace them with after market steel ones.
But it was brought to my attention that both OEM front bumpers have crush cans. Either I will have to find an aftermarket bumper that can use the swapped out OEM cans or go without.

Last edited:

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Anyone know if it the same size steel bumper as the current steel bumpers?
Want to order a Maximus stinger but not sure if bolt locations are the same!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
The issue of weight is a real concern my warn bumper was 150 lbs beefy sure but at that to a smutty built 10 kwinch and my front springs collapsed to about 1/2 inch travel. Necessitating a lift with OME heavy dutyf springs

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I don't think I saw this answered - if a Rubicon is ordered with the standard bumper, how hard would we expect it to be to later replace it with the Mopar steel bumper?

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I saw this answered - if a Rubicon is ordered with the standard bumper, how hard would we expect it to be to later replace it with the Mopar steel bumper?
I am sure it would would bolt right on, so it would not be hard at all. But I am guessing it would be highly expensive buying it direct from MOPAR instead of getting it from the factory as an option.

Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
I had it powder coated when I got it. I don't care for the crackle finish. Other than that, it is stock. I haven't hit anything. :) Was yours a paint issue?
The paint finish when I got it was shit. Before I even mounted it I sprayed the entire bumper with a bed liner type of finish which held up well in the 2-3 years I had it. The original factory paint finish was so bad that the bumper, though never being installed before, was showing rust from just laying around an indoor shop.

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
OK guys, I've looked around for this answer for 2 days,...
I have ordered a 2dr Rubi with the Mopar steel bumper package
I am planning on flat towing it.
Going with Ready Brute system
3 questions:

1. Can this bumper be used to flat tow? ie; is it strong enough? I assume it is since a winch can be mounted to it
  2. If so, where can I mount the Blue ox clevis mounts to it?
  3. If not, can "D" ring mounts be welded on so as to safely be flat towed?
I will be going by a dealer to crawl around under the 1 they have on the lot,...thought I'd post the questions.

Thanks

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I was going order the steel ones too. but now that i think about it 1295 is what they are charging me i will wait till Havoc comes out with theirs. i got their rear bumper for 300 for my JK and its with free shipping and its really nice. i too like someone said i ant the different look then factory. but i am thinking if i go with something i have now which i really like my JL will start looking like my JK
Sponsored