Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
So I'm trying to decide when to get my oil changed, emphasis on MY oil. I have a JLUR with the 8 speed auto. Mileage is just over 2700 at the moment with probably 2000 of that being city based. I also have 2 trips to Silver Lake Sand Dunes under the belt. Total run time on the dunes is probably around 3-4 hours with about 7/8 trips over test hill and the additional hills that follow it. Coming up I have some highway trips for work that will net another 350 miles per week for the next 2-3 weeks. Do get it changed now or wait until my highway driving is done. My gut tells me to do it now.
Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
What does your manual say? In all reality do what your gut says, but you should be fine with changing it at 5K.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
So I'm trying to decide when to get my oil changed, emphasis on MY oil. I have a JLUR with the 8 speed auto. Mileage is just over 2700 at the moment with probably 2000 of that being city based. I also have 2 trips to Silver Lake Sand Dunes under the belt. Total run time on the dunes is probably around 3-4 hours with about 7/8 trips over test hill and the additional hills that follow it. Coming up I have some highway trips for work that will net another 350 miles per week for the next 2-3 weeks. Do get it changed now or wait until my highway driving is done. My gut tells me to do it now.
I’m with you! Do what your gut tells you to do.

I’m right at 3300 miles. Uconnect shows 57% oil life remaining. It actually looks dirtier than I figured it should be. I’m going to try to get it changed this weekend. I want to see what everything looks like for myself. For me, most of my driving is on dirt roads, probably around 60%. On my second oil change I’ll take a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs so I can see actually what the engine is doing.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Did my first at 8500 miles.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Personally when I get new vehicles I like doing the first at 1000 to get the original oil out. Then I do them on the 5k increments.

Jeep Wave gives you 4 free. I a, going in on Monday at 1,200 to do the first one but that is mostly because I want to get the steering and uconnect TSBs done.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Personally when I get new vehicles I like doing the first at 1000 to get the original oil out. Then I do them on the 5k increments.

Jeep Wave gives you 4 free. I a, going in on Monday at 1,200 to do the first one but that is mostly because I want to get the steering and uconnect TSBs done.
@Goin2drt

Just be sure to mention to the Service Writer to note your work order that only 5 qts. of oil are to be used!

.....Then when they hand you your receipt, look to see how many quarts the receipt says was added. IF it says 6 qts. you need to check your dipstick before leaving to see if they overfilled your vehicle. If it is overfilled get it corrected then and there.

More then 4 forum member's so far have had the dealership put 6 qts in. Their oil monkeys are treating the JL like it is a JK.

DO, familiarize yourself with where on the dipstick the oil mark is when you have a proper 5 qt. fill. You could even take a pic.

You could use the pic to show the Service Manager so that he could see that the dip stick reading with 5 qts. is way different then your reading after they screwed up and added 6 qts.

OP
OP
mdelzer

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Not many folks here read it apparently.
Quite capable of reading. The point of this thread was to analyze MY current milage and driving conditions and determine if I fall under severe duty or not. I'm personally leaning toward severe but wanted some other opinions, which most cars fall under anyway and owners don't realize it. The worst thing most drivers (off roading aside) can do is hop in the car and drive 5 minutes to the store. Jeep says to change it at 4000 miles in severe duty. So to clarify what I asked, I have time to change the oil now or do it after my highway trips that may put me over the 4000 mile mark and I won't have time to do it until I get back.

@Goin2drt

Just be sure to mention to the Service Writer to note your work order that only 5 qts. of oil are to be used!

.....Then when they hand you your receipt, look to see how many quarts the receipt says was added. IF it says 6 qts. you need to check your dipstick before leaving to see if they overfilled your vehicle. If it is overfilled get it corrected then and there.

More then 4 forum member's so far have had the dealership put 6 qts in. Their oil monkeys are treating the JL like it is a JK.

DO, familiarize yourself with where on the dipstick the oil mark is when you have a proper 5 qt. fill. You could even take a pic.

You could use the pic to show the Service Manager so that he could see that the dip stick reading with 5 qts. is way different then your reading after they screwed up and added 6 qts.

@Rhinebeck01 This is solid advice, thanks for bringing this up.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Quite capable of reading. The point of this thread was to analyze MY current milage (sic) and driving conditions . . . So to clarify what I asked, I have time to change the oil now or do it after my highway trips that may put me over the 4000 mile mark and I won't have time to do it until I get back.
Then change it now or change it later - per the manual. And monitor the oil life readout on your instrumentation. It isn't brain surgery, and going a few miles over certainly isn't going to result in catastrophic engine failure or a severe acne eruption.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I do my engine oil at 1,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles after that. I do my differentials at 4,000 miles and every three years after that and my transmission and transfer case at 10,000. I’ll do my transmission and transfer case once again around 50,000 miles.

Sponsored

MCOJEEP

First Name
MCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I did my first just shy of 5,000 miles. Jeep Wave program provides 4 free oil changes in rotations in the first 2 years so use them however you want.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine doing it when the manual says or you can do it earlier if you want. I did my first one around 3k but the oil usage on the dash said I had 67% life left. I'm due for my 2nd and this one has 7k miles on it and mile oil usage calc says I have 37% life.

OP
OP
mdelzer

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Funny story. I stopped in today and just had it changed. They put in 6 quarts. Waiting now for them to fix it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase