Can Believe my gas mileage

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara born on 5-18; 1999 TJ 2 Dr
Well I now have 4100 miles on my JL Sahara and I’m aveaging over 21 MPG.
The avg MPG is showing right at 22.3 but the real math of gallons purchased is a hair over 21.
I don’t drive fast or hard just trying to break the engine in with a combination of highway and city driving but I’m amazed. I drove a 3.5 liter 2Dr Chevy Colorado for 13 years and this 4Dr Jeep is averaging only 1/2 MPG less. On the highway I’m getting close to the EPA 23.

I have the 8 speed automatic and the stock 255 size AT tires.
Will my gas mileage “tank” if I install Rubicon take offs?
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

The avg MPG is showing right at 22.3 but the real math of gallons purchased is a hair over 21.
I don’t drive fast or hard just trying to break the engine in with a combination of highway and city driving but I’m amazed. I drove a 3.5 liter 2Dr Chevy Colorado for 13 years and this 4Dr Jeep is averaging only 1/2 MPG less. On the highway I’m getting close to the EPA 23.

Probably. I think running the A/C in 105° Phoenix is a big hit.. I was only getting 17.4 with standard Rubis, now I’m on wider larger 35”s... not good

OP
OP
Richamby

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess you have to pay to play in the big sandbox with the really nice tires. I can’t consider 35’s I have to lift my Jeep.

I run my AC here in North Alabama too but I do drive more highway type miles verses city. Driving into work, I drive through Huntsville going to and coming back, but the lights are timed pretty good. Round trip is about 80 miles but 50 are highway.

If my mileage went down to 19 to 20, that would be ok.
Trying to see if staying with 32 inch tires are the way to go and just pass on the Rubicon set.

I’m loving this gas mileage, my TJ was terrible by comparison.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I'm averaging right at 21 mpg over the last 4000 miles, 6 spd rubicon. It should be similar, as the aerodynamics and weight are mostly the same.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There is no doubt lifting your jeep adds to the frontal surface area, this combined with bigger heavier tires takes its toll. I wouldn't recommend bigger tires or a lift on a Sahara or sport without re gearing to 4:10 on 35 or higher for 37's. This will impact your mileage also. I'm running 28 psi in my 35 inch k02's with 9 inch rims. I get 16.5 in town. I might see 19 on the freeway.

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392

4dr auto Rubi bout 3/4 of my driving so far has been highway and at 3500 miles I’ve been sitting at 20mpg. So, yea it might go down a little. I would guess you will be around 20-21. In the long run, if it makes you happy a few mpg shouldn’t make you unhappy. :)

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Probably. I think running the A/C in 105° Phoenix is a big hit.. I was only getting 17.4 with standard Rubis, now I’m on wider larger 35”s... not good
You must have a heavy foot. I get around 20 in Phoenix.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
This is one thing I'm very much looking forward to when I pick up my JLU tomorrow. I drive a 2000 XJ and gas mileage is horrible on that old tired 4.0.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

My take on this is if you’re a person who somewhat carefully tracks his gas mileage, you’d probably want to ignore it completely after sizing up on tires. If you can’t do that, then I’d probably stick with the spec tires and wheels.

OP
OP
Richamby

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great input guys. I was hoping to hear from a few Sahara owners that have already done the Rubicon wheel swap. I’m thinking the 4.10 gears and 33 inch tires make it equal to our 3.7 and 32 inch tires. So the 3.7’s and 33 will hurt some. I just didn’t want to do anything to kill the great gas mileage I’m getting. So I might consider a new set of 17 inch wheels and 32 inch tires.
I don’t rock crawl but do travel back roads made by 2 guys and a chain saw.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I stay between 19-22mpg depending on the type of driving with a Sport and 35's which is pretty damn awesome to me. I ran the Rubicon tires as well and saw about the same.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Great input guys. I was hoping to hear from a few Sahara owners that have already done the Rubicon wheel swap. I’m thinking the 4.10 gears and 33 inch tires make it equal to our 3.7 and 32 inch tires. So the 3.7’s and 33 will hurt some. I just didn’t want to do anything to kill the great gas mileage I’m getting. So I might consider a new set of 17 inch wheels and 32 inch tires.
I don’t rock crawl but do travel back roads made by 2 guys and a chain saw.
The Sport and Sahara have 3.45 gears which helps highway mpg on flat roads. Everything else being equal, larger diameter tires should increase mpg on the highway but you are usually also adding weight when going larger so that usually negates any mpg improvement. Also depends if the auto will hold 8th gear or downshift to 7th. I suppose you could hold 8th using autostick unless you need to pass or climb a hill.

Obviously larger diameter tires have a negative effect on mpg when accelerating up to crusing speed unless light footed.

Reactions: MSD
OP
OP
Richamby

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t realize our gears were 3.45’s
So going to Rubicon wheels should a go.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I didn’t realize our gears were that tall.
So going to Rubicon wheels should a go.
I don’t own one yet but plenty of members have installed rubi takeoffs on sports. I doubt you will see any difference in hwy mpg. It may be a little sluggish upon acceleration but 1st and 2nd gear are geared so low you may not even notice.

OP
OP
Richamby

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With 8 gears, you’d think we’d have this covered. I have noticed it will downshift to 7th gear on any slight incline to stay efficient and not bog down. It will probably do that more often. I really like the wheel tire setup on the Rubicon’s. The C load rating is a big plus
Sponsored