Sponsored

Why Rubicon instead of Sport S when upgrading tires?

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
For me, I decided that if I was going to mod a Sport with not just bigger rims and tires, but also Rubi suspension and shocks, that I would just go ahead and get a Rubi. But that's not my plan. I plan to stick with stock wheels, get slightly bigger tires, and that's it as far as big mods go. Plus, I don't plan on doing any real off-roading, so the Sport S makes the most sense for me. In my opinion, if you're only spending a couple thousand more dollars on a Rubi than a Sport S, and all of the additional money spend on a Sport comes standard on a Rubi, it's probably a better value to get the Rubi.
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
These threads always turn into one side getting blue in the face justifying their purchase, when neither is wrong in the end, and a justification can be made for either direction.

Why did I buy a Rubi?
1. First and foremost, because I wanted to.
2. Because I knew i was buying the most capable offroad vehicle from the factory that you can buy.
3. I have no idea what my future "wheeling" holds, but no matter how serious I get, I can refer back to #2.
4. Everything on the vehicle that you would have to put on yourself, is covered by a factory warranty.
5. I couldn't care less about resale value because I hope to have this jeep for MANY years.
6. I wanted the electronic swaybar disconnect, lockers, and 8.4 Infotainment Center....just to name a few options.
7. I'm either going to spend the extra money on the Rubi, or spend it making it a Rubi...so refer back to #4.

I personally couldn't care less which one someone buys. The OP asked why...and here are my why's. If you bought a sport and built it out, fantastic! I'm sure it is/will be awesome.

Also, Kevin and Brittney (Lite Brite), spent $215 on diff covers that would have to be replaced on a sport or a Rubi based on the kind of wheeling they do....so I'm not sure why that matters?

Just my opinion.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
These threads always turn into one side getting blue in the face justifying their purchase, when neither is wrong in the end, and a justification can be made for either direction.

Why did I buy a Rubi?
1. First and foremost, because I wanted to.
2. Because I knew i was buying the most capable offroad vehicle from the factory that you can buy.
3. I have no idea what my future "wheeling" holds, but no matter how serious I get, I can refer back to #2.
4. Everything on the vehicle that you would have to put on yourself, is covered by a factory warranty.
5. I couldn't care less about resale value because I hope to have this jeep for MANY years.
6. I wanted the electronic swaybar disconnect, lockers, and 8.4 Infotainment Center....just to name a few options.
7. I'm either going to spend the extra money on the Rubi, or spend it making it a Rubi...so refer back to #4.

I personally couldn't care less which one someone buys. The OP asked why...and here are my why's. If you bought a sport and built it out, fantastic! I'm sure it is/will be awesome.

Also, Kevin and Brittney (Lite Brite), spent $215 on diff covers that would have to be replaced on a sport or a Rubi based on the kind of wheeling they do....so I'm not sure why that matters?

Just my opinion.
Exactly the same reasoning I had. Because I wanted one!

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly the same reasoning I had. Because I wanted one!
Bingo. I decided I was going to buy whichever Jeep I wanted, regardless of price and regardless of whether or not I'm going to take it off-roading. My plan is to have enough money saved that I can afford a Rubicon. So if I go test drive a Sport S and a Rubicon and decide that I like the Rubicon better than the Sport S (for whatever reason), then that's what I'll get.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Regardless of modding, most Wranglers never see conditions that reach its full potential, and even some more very rarely do (maybe during a once in every 10 year blizzard).

With the exception of the enthusiasts who do, in fact, expose their trucks to the last 2% of their capability then go Rubicon all day long. The rest of us are better off with a Sport and doing to it/with it what we wish. A well cared for Sport is going to do well in resale just like a well cared for Rubicon, so it’s silly to spend the extra chunk of cash in hopes of doing someting “better” on tradein day compared to the Sport owner.

It’s the same thing with any hobby, really. We all know a person with a $50,000 home audio system. $30,000 of that was spent to attain the last 2% of its performance.

Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of modding, most Wranglers never see conditions that reach its full potential, and even some more very rarely do (maybe during a once in every 10 year blizzard).

With the exception of the enthusiasts who do, in fact, expose their trucks to the last 2% of their capability then go Rubicon all day long. The rest of us are better off with a Sport and doing to it/with it what we wish. A well cared for Sport is going to do well in resale just like a well cared for Rubicon, so it’s silly to spend the extra chunk of cash in hopes of doing someting “better” on tradein day compared to the Sport owner.

It’s the same thing with any hobby, really. We all know a person with a $50,000 home audio system. $30,000 of that was spent to attain the last 2% of its performance.
Out of the box, the Rubicon is quite capable as an off road vehicle. The Sport, not so much. Stronger axles, electronic lockers, differential gearing, transfer case, 33" all terrain tires and electronic sway bar disconnect make a BIG difference, For those of us that do take our vehicles off road, the Sport is not within 2% of a Rubicon. Quit spouting such nonsense.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of the box, the Rubicon is quite capable as an off road vehicle. The Sport, not so much. Stronger axles, electronic lockers, differential gearing, transfer case, 33" all terrain tires and electronic sway bar disconnect make a BIG difference, For those of us that do take our vehicles off road, the Sport is not within 2% of a Rubicon. Quit spouting such nonsense.
I don't think he was saying there's only a 2% difference between the Sport S and Rubicon. But whatever, who cares?

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously you don’t have a clue.
Dude, settle down. You just said the other guy was "spouting nonsense" and I "don't have a clue." Stop with the insults. We're talking about Jeeps here, for chrissake. It's not that big of a deal.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
This forum is open to all wrangler owners, as such we should all be happy with what we have and do not belittle or question each other’s choices. It’s too often Sport owners start chanting how their Sport is better than a Rubicon because the difference in price is $10k and they are both capable vehicles. I have a sport and a Rubicon, I’d pick the Rubicon any day of the week. I actually never drive my sport anymore, valid it’s a JKU. There are a slew of reasons why a Rubicon is a better purchase, but those are my views. The OP compared the 2, and you really can’t. If you are even thinking of upgrading those fugly Sport wheels...get ready to regear if you want to see 8th gear. I didn’t buy my Rubicon so it’s holds more value than a Sport, it just works to my favor. Buy what you want and can afford, and stop the damn remarks about rubicon owners never using its full potential. Be glad with your decision and move on.

I remember when I was on m3post, it was only for bmw m3 owners. And 3 series guys weren’t the norm around there other than trolls...I now see why.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
This forum is open to all wrangler owners, as such we should all be happy with what we have and do not belittle or question each other’s choices. It’s too often Sport owners start chanting how their Sport is better than a Rubicon because the difference in price is $10k and they are both capable vehicles. I have a sport and a Rubicon, I’d pick the Rubicon any day of the week. I actually never drive my sport anymore, valid it’s a JKU. There are a slew of reasons why a Rubicon is a better purchase, but those are my views. The OP compared the 2, and you really can’t. If you are even thinking of upgrading those fugly Sport wheels...get ready to regear if you want to see 8th gear. I didn’t buy my Rubicon so it’s holds more value than a Sport, it just works to my favor. Buy what you want and can afford, and stop the damn remarks about rubicon owners never using its full potential. Be glad with your decision and move on.

I remember when I was on m3post, it was only for bmw m3 owners. And 3 series guys weren’t the norm around there other than trolls...I now see why.
Right. The troll that appeared is just a sad little man.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Whooo... s vs. x vs Sahara vs rubicon vs Moab vs hard rock vs build from the ground up with crank windows vs Willy’s. This debate has been beaten and beaten and beaten well beyond death on many many many forums.
Buy what you can afford. Buy what makes you happy. Do whatever makes you happy with it. If someone doesn’t agree with what ever made you happy or whatever you could afford or whatever you wanted to do with it ask yourself when the last time was that they helped you make a payment.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Lite bright makes videos to get views. Those views get money. They need content. May as well switch parts. Every part switched is a new video. So not an example of something “normal” rubicon owners are doing.

You can't be serious lol. Then tell me EXACTLY why most rubicon owners are doing EXACTLY what the OP said. Replacing all the cheap mopar crap with better stuff.

For example, look at "lite bright" rubicon on youtube for the diff cover upgrade. When you're finished, answer me one question, HONESTLY.

Would you pay 75% more for the stock diff cover compared to what they have ordered?
vid

OP
OP

jeff72034

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
Lockers and electronic sway-bar.
Will the sway bar and locker still work on upgraded gears and suspension kits?

Honestly, I don't even know if I'm askign the right questions here because I'm so new to all of this information. People are writing that when you go with bigger tires that you have to "re-gear." My early comprehension of this mean that you'd have to replace the entire differential and axles...basically the entire bottom end. Will those stock components still work with the new parts?

OP
OP

jeff72034

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
@JeepJL18 @jeff72034

Y'all do realize the Rubicon is a lot more than just tires and badging, right? Please say yes.
I'm honestly unfamiliar with all the differences. So far, I know higher fenders, 4:10 ratio, lockers, hood vents, push button sway bar disconnect. I'm not sure what other things matter (stuff other than leather seats).
Sponsored