Magnaflow exhaust system for the JL

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
So today I installed the black dual tipped Magnaflow axle-back muffler/exhaust. Let's just say it was an experience......

The pipe that was supposed to fit over the pipe coming from the catalytic converter over the axle was way too small to fit over the existing pipe. I barely could get 1/4 of it to fit. Having read about needing to flare the pipe a bit, I threw the muffler in my other car and drove to a local muffler shop. The guy looked at it and said "I'm going to save you $50, just go to Auto Zone and borrow their exhaust pipe flaring tool like I'll do and charge you for it, but they'll loan it to you for free"

So off to Auto Zone where they charge you a $100 deposit that you get back when you return the tool. I had to play with the pipe and went a little bit at a time, meaning multiple attempts at fitting it. Finally after like four flaring sessions, I finally got it wide enough, yet snug enough to fit properly. Total time spent removing the stock muffler, maybe 30 minutes as I decided to take off the two bolts on each side that hold the hanger bracket rather than wrestle with the rubber hangers in a tight place.

Time to drive to muffler shop, then Auto Zone, then four sizing attempts, and then final install about 4 hours.

My BIG question is, why is Magnaflow sending these out with undersized pipes???? Don't get me wrong, I love the look of a smaller black muffler, of the two black huge exhaust pipe tips and I LOVE the improved sound, but the install was way more difficult than it needed to be.
I had the same issue:

"The pipe that was supposed to fit over the pipe coming from the catalytic converter over the axle was way too small to fit over the existing pipe. I barely could get 1/4 of it to fit."

and in result, it currently has a leak because i can't tighten it. And I felt some loss in power & mpg. @Magnaflow, can you send a replacement?
Sponsored

Magnaflow

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.magnaflow.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Magnaflow - lots of unhappy customers here. Is there an explanation for this?
If we want to start getting thier attention, we need to start leaving comments in the product reviews on thier website. We try to reach out to them here but they do not respond.
We sincerely apologize for the fitment issues that our customers have been experiencing. We are well aware of the situation and are actively working on a solution. This issue was caused by a change Jeep made in manufacturing after the initial run of JL's were already out. We are doing our best to pinpoint the affected vehicles by vin before we make a decision. We apologize, again, for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your support of the Magnaflow brand. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us by phone for the quickest assistance at 1-800-900-0905.

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler 2-Dr
Occupation
Geo Engineer
We sincerely apologize for the fitment issues that our customers have been experiencing. We are well aware of the situation and are actively working on a solution. This issue was caused by a change Jeep made in manufacturing after the initial run of JL's were already out. We are doing our best to pinpoint the affected vehicles by vin before we make a decision. We apologize, again, for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your support of the Magnaflow brand. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us by phone for the quickest assistance at 1-800-900-0905.
What does this mean exactly. That we need to put our stock muffler system back on and standby while MF decides what to do? Why are you still shipping them out if you are aware of the problem? I ordered mine a little over a week ago. Geez. Wished I would have come across this thread before I started to install the Rock Crawler system today. I estimated maybe an hour to install. But same problem. Nothing slid on or over like it was supposed to. So much so that I ended up with the tailpipe hanger at least an inch farther back than the tailpipe hanger rubber isolater. And the edge of the tailpipe was banging on the rear frame cross member.

Took it all apart and worked from the rear of the vehicle to the V-clamp to try and make everything fit that way, using a rubber mallet to seat the pipes. I have at least an inch to an inch and a half of pipe overlap at the V-clamp near the cat converter. Now I gotta go rent a pipe expander to fix this? Will that even work? Looks like I had the pipes pretty well seated with the mallet.

As much as I like Magnaflow, it's not supposed to be this way. Three hours wasted today trying to install it twice. I might just cut the pipe off before the rear axle like I did on my JKU. Weld on a 90 turned down and out, and call it a day. Cannot believe I spent over $500 to end up with this mess.

Last edited:

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development
What does this mean exactly. That we need to put our stock muffler system back on and standby while MF decides what to do? Why are you still shipping them out if you are aware of the problem? I ordered mine a little over a week ago. Geez. Wished I would have come across this thread before I started to install the Rock Crawler system today. I estimated maybe an hour to install. But same problem. Nothing slid on or over like it was supposed to. So much so that I ended up with the tailpipe hanger at least an inch farther back than the tailpipe hanger rubber isolater. And the edge of the tailpipe was banging on the rear frame cross member.

Took it all apart and worked from the rear of the vehicle to the V-clamp to try and make everything fit that way, using a rubber mallet to seat the pipes. I have at least an inch to an inch and a half of pipe overlap at the V-clamp near the cat converter. Now I gotta go rent a pipe expander to fix this? Will that even work? Looks like I had the pipes pretty well seated with the mallet.

As much as I like Magnaflow, it's not supposed to be this way. Three hours wasted today trying to install it twice. I might just cut the pipe off before the rear axle like I did on my JKU. Weld on a 90 turned down and out, and call it a day. Cannot believe I spent over $500 to end up with this mess.

Same. I had to cut 1 inch out of center pipe. I cannot tell you how pissed I was to have 1 inch removed from a 500$ "Bolt on" system.

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
Same. I had to cut 1 inch out of center pipe. I cannot tell you how pissed I was to have 1 inch removed from a 500$ "Bolt on" system.
Moke, pissed doesn't even do it justice. I feel your pain bro'. I haven't decided what to do yet. I could easily take the saws-all and drop 1" from the center pipe but why am I being asked to do that with a $500 "bolt on" as you point out. I'm seriously thinking about boxing the whole thing up and sending it back. I've had Magnaflow everything the last 30 years and this was the worst install I ever came across. Every vendor out there is rushing to market to be the "first" supplier of their particular mod, and this is what they end up with; pissed off customers and negative web posts.

This morning, I'm putting the stock system back on and cutting the pipe behind the resonator. Weld on a 90 and call it done for now. I'm considering the aFE cat-back but before I pull the trigger on another $500 "bolt on," I want to see some real data on fitment.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Man you guys have some serious patience and determination. That crap would have been packed back up, shipped back and got a refund and move on to another manufacturer.

Either way can’t thank you all enough for being the crash test dummies. I will wait for a company to release a true bolt on rock crawler system.

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
Well, so much for the aFe cat back; it only fits the 4-dr and would take a lot more cutting/fitting to make work on my 2-dr. At least MF thought of us guys building 2-dr JL's. You can just toss the center pipe and the system fits both models out of the box (allegedly). Guess I'm gonna whittle on the Magnaflow today with the saws-all...

All this wasted time is cutting into the install of my lift. That's what has me screaming mad. I'll still buy MF products, and hope they fit next time. They just sound too good. On everything I've owned...

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
Yeah, good call waiting, Goin2drt. MF cannot figure out what they are going to do at this point, so no use wasting your money. aFe high-tuck cat-back seems a good choice if you have a JLU. I did a search and it has good reviews... but take them for what they're worth. I have no experience with the high-tuck.

I do have the aFe Magnum Force Stage II CAI sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I've already discovered the newer kits do not include a replacement IAT sensor ($11 part at Mopar). I understand the stock sensor is difficult to impossible to remove from the stock intake tube without damaging it. So possibly another incomplete "bolt on" kit from a manufacturer for the JL.

I'll update this thread after I install the CAI. It's not an indictment against aFe or MF at all. I'm just giving this info to show MF is not the only one out there selling bolt-on kits that need a little wrangling to make work. I have, and will, continue to use both Magnaflow and aFe products.

Now, if somebody would just program a tune to take full advantage of both...

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
echo that too... i too had to cut the center pipe about 1 inch in order to fit. however, i like MF and i am waiting for @Magnaflow to address the fitment at the catalytic converter. at this section, your pipe opening is small to have good cover of the catalytic converter pipe and therefore the existing clam can't be tighten to seal it. please provide a resolution soon.

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
I went ahead and installed the modified MF Crawler system today. I took about an hour including measuring, measuring twice and cutting/grinding the over-the-axle pipe on the end the tailpipe slips over. I took out 1-1/4 inches and the edge of the tailpipe clears the rear frame crossmember by about 3/8 inch. Should be ok but a little more wouldn't hurt.

I had tried every way possible to take up the slack w/o cutting the pipe. There was no way. Once the pipe was cut and I put a bevel on the edge with a grinder, everything went together nicely. Torqued down the clamps starting at the cat and working back and the muffler is mounted solidly. Note the clamps bottomed out before taking full 45 ft-lb torque. No leaks now but could be in the future. I'll weld it all up just to be sure.

I have attached some pics to show the mod. The proper fit would be to shorten the pipe going from the V-Clamp (cat converter) to the MF muffler so that the first rubber isolator supported the over-the-tailpipe section properly. But, as shown in the photo, it will not allow the muffler to slide backwards much as it is. The rear hanger is fine. When MF makes final mod's to the kit, it would be nice if they extended the pipe exiting the muffler and attach the hanger to it. This would allow an install w/o having to use a jack stand to support the muffler while installing the over-the-axle pipe. And it would make installation of the over axle pipe a little easier than trying to both support it with one hand and use the other hand to engage the rubber isolator.

Cut Taped II.jpeg
cut 1-1/4" off over-axle-pipe...

Bevel.jpeg

Beveled it...

Installed Tail Section.jpeg

And everything went together like it should have from MagnaFlow.

Pipe Alignment.jpeg

But...

Mid Hangar.jpeg

The mid-hangar has a rearward slant of about an inch. Taking out 1-1/4" from the pipe between the cat and muffler would fix this (MF, take note)...

Rear Hangar.jpeg

While the rear hangar sits pretty good.

Tailpipe Clearance.jpeg

Taking out 1-1/4 inches doesn't leave too much clearance (about 3/8 inch) but it should be ok with the rear slant of the hangars. I could not move it by hand after torquing.

After all this hootenanny I was able to get the rear lift on today and will finish up the front tomorrow afternoon. Things are starting to rock on!

Sponsored

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
echo that too... i too had to cut the center pipe about 1 inch in order to fit. however, i like MF and i am waiting for @Magnaflow to address the fitment at the catalytic converter. at this section, your pipe opening is small to have good cover of the catalytic converter pipe and therefore the existing clam can't be tighten to seal it. please provide a resolution soon.
tnnjl, you should just have to loosely butt up the flared ends on both pipes and re-use the OEM v-clamp. Let the clamp pull the pieces together for a seal when you torque it. Specified torque is only 70 in-lbs, or 5.8 ft-lbs. Too much torque applied to the factory clamp will damage it. Don't use the clam clamps. They are made for the straight pipe connections.

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
tnnjl, you should just have to loosely butt up the flared ends on both pipes and re-use the OEM v-clamp. Let the clamp pull the pieces together for a seal when you torque it. Specified torque is only 70 in-lbs, or 5.8 ft-lbs. Too much torque applied to the factory clamp will damage it. Don't use the clam clamps. They are made for the straight pipe connections.
Take a look at the pic below. The factory v-clamp is shown installed and torqued on the existing cat pipe and forward muffler pipe with the flares.
Pipe S-Section.jpeg

LSJKU

First Name
Cary D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geo Engineer
MagnaFlow, I have a suggestion. If you guys continue to sell the crawler muffler kit while figuring out how to address the fitment problem, I suggest you add the following tools to your list for the bolt on application...

MF Tool List.jpeg

Ha ha, gotcha! No harm intended. How often do we get to screw with a supplier anyway... and figuring it all out with a workable fix cost me finishing up the lift today. That sucked.

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Take a look at the pic below. The factory v-clamp is shown installed and torqued on the existing cat pipe and forward muffler pipe with the flares.
Pipe S-Section.jpeg
Thanks, Cary. I brought to the muffler shop to let them take a look and all pointed to the MF end is smaller than the OEM's and the OEM clamp's diameter is bigger when tighten it all the way. There's still a leak at the clamp's bolt.

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm waiting to hear too. I spent $70 taking it to a muffler shop to get it flared out, and they said they got it as close as they could.
Sponsored