Sponsored

JL Wrangler Unlimited Dimensions Measurements (Cargo, Trunk, Rear Seats)

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
I have two dimension questions:

1. I have read conflicting information with fitting 35 inch tires on the Rubicon. Is a lift kit required or not? Autoweek recently saying that 2” lift kit is needed, but several earlier posts here say it is not.

2. Do we know how far the spare tire sticks out past the trailer hitch? I ask this because I fit a bike rack to my current Rubicon and I need to put a hitch extension on in order to be able to fold it up behind the rear tire.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I keep hearing that 35s fit the Rubicon without further mods.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD

1. I have read conflicting information with fitting 35 inch tires on the Rubicon. Is a lift kit required or not? Autoweek recently saying that 2” lift kit is needed, but several earlier posts here say it is not.

2. Do we know how far the spare tire sticks out past the trailer hitch? I ask this because I fit a bike rack to my current Rubicon and I need to put a hitch extension on in order to be able to fold it up behind the rear tire.
I’ve heard/read that no lift is required to fit 35s.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve heard/read that no lift is required to fit 35s.
is that with stock wheels or aftermarket wheels with a different offset?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Stock wheels on Rubicon.

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.

The conflicting info is probably due to the fact that Rubicons come with "highline" type flares that are raised about 2" vs a Sport or Sahara. This is so that you can run 35s on a Rubicon at "stock" suspension height - while the other models with "regular" flares might require a 2" suspension lift for proper tire clearance.

So, Rubicon = 35s with no lift, while Sport or Sahara = 35s with 2" lift (assuming stock flares).

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
The conflicting info is probably due to the fact that Rubicons come with "highline" type flares that are raised about 2" vs a Sport or Sahara. This is so that you can run 35s on a Rubicon at "stock" suspension height - while the other models with "regular" flares might require a 2" suspension lift for proper tire clearance.

So, Rubicon = 35s with no lift, while Sport or Sahara = 35s with 2" lift (assuming stock flares).

Awesome! This makes sense. Thank you!

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Because I was curious I went out and took the same measurements on my 2016 JKUR. See numbers below in red. Pretty much every dimension is smaller on the JLU vs the JKU, with a few being quite a bit smaller on the JLU!

The only amount of storage that seems to have actually increased over the JKU is the ginormous under-floor cubby that the JLU has.

You guys asked for measurements so we got climbed over every inch of the JL Wrangler at the LA Autoshow debut. Here's what our tape measure recorded.

Overall Cargo Space:

Wrangler JL Unlimited cargo volume: 31.7 cubic feet (with rear seats up) (0.2 cu ft more than JK)
Wrangler JL Unlimited cargo volume: 72.4 cubic feet (with rear seats folded) (1.8 cu ft more than JK)

Cargo / Trunk:

Cargo / trunk opening width — 41.5” (JKU: 41")
Cargo / trunk opening height — 35.75” (JKU: 36.5")
Subwoofer to other side of cargo area — 40.25" (JKU: 43.5"!)
Cargo floor to rear cross member/bar — 35.5" (JKU: 36")
Distance between roll bars (measured from inside of each) — 43.5” (JKU: 47"+)
Back of rear seats (bottom) to closed tailgate — 34.5" (JKU: 37"!)
Back of front passenger seat (when pulled all the way forward and backrest at halfway) to closed tailgate — 74"

TraktorE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Looking at these measurements i don't see how the cargo volume with rear seats up could be larger for the JLU vs the JKU with height, inside width and depth being (significantly) smaller.
Hoping some of these measurements (especially the depth) of the JLU are wrong...

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@JAY Not looking to resurrect the hat thread, but what were the WxLxD dimensions of rear underfloor cubby?

Sponsored

joem

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 j/k
im interested in those dimensions as well-i have a lockbox out of my jk that id like to use again if it will fit

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the WxLxD dimensions of rear underfloor cubby?

Thanks in advance!