Best Ski rack to put on wrangler?

acoz8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Living in CO and make weekly trips to the mountains, whats the best rack I can put on my hard top in terms of being able to carry skis, still being able to take off the front freedom panels, and noise on the road?
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I know I can't add a rack on top since it won't fit in the garage after I add 35s. On my TJ I made my own out of a rear tire bike rack which worked well for snowboards. COst me about $40 via craigslist parts. On the JLU I won't be able to use it since there is the camera back there. Going to have to use a receiver mounted rack.

If you want it on top and want access to the freedom panels it shouldn't be that hard just mount the front crossbar back far enough to get your freedom tops off.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Ive got the Thule aerobars and ski rack. Works great.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Thank God you asked this. I hadn’t even thought that far. Planning on ordering in Sept and was planning on a soft top only. That does make it hard to mount racks for snowboarding and ski gear. Plus the need for wipers etc in that weather. Dual top it is then.

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
I was wondering the same thing- going with 35’s and wondering if the Yakima rain gutters with a round crossbar would still fit in the garage.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I know I can't add a rack on top since it won't fit in the garage after I add 35s. On my TJ I made my own out of a rear tire bike rack which worked well for snowboards. COst me about $40 via craigslist parts. On the JLU I won't be able to use it since there is the camera back there. Going to have to use a receiver mounted rack.

If you want it on top and want access to the freedom panels it shouldn't be that hard just mount the front crossbar back far enough to get your freedom tops off.
Regarding the garage fit, do you have a lift as well, or just the 35s?

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Wait, theres gotta be a solution that fits on spare tire or hooks into trailer hitch....

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
I’m interested in some options for the 2 door model, I plan on running my hard top in the winter and am hoping I can put a ski rack on it, not sure if the Thule clamps can attach on the freedom panels for the front or if both rails have to clamp towards the rear of the hard top.
I won’t be removing the freedom panels all winter so that wouldn’t be an issue.
Anyone have any experience with the 2 door racks?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait, theres gotta be a solution that fits on spare tire or hooks into trailer hitch....
My tj has a 3inch lift and 33inch tires but its a softtop. I took my swagman rear tire mount 3 bike rack and added rack baes across then added dual snowboard mounts to that. I can carry 4 boards. Look like a gianr wing though. But it only cost me $40. It wont work on jl because of backup cam. There are some tire mount one that should but they are costly new.

Other solution for me would br to make my own hitch mount and an adaptor for the swagman

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yakima hitchski
Thule tram hitch ski

Sponsored

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
My tj has a 3inch lift and 33inch tires but its a softtop. I took my swagman rear tire mount 3 bike rack and added rack baes across then added dual snowboard mounts to that. I can carry 4 boards. Look like a gianr wing though. But it only cost me $40. It wont work on jl because of backup cam. There are some tire mount one that should but they are costly new.

Other solution for me would br to make my own hitch mount and an adaptor for the swagman
I keep forgetting about the back up cam and the frikken sensors....

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!

Haha yup i used to strap 4 onto my safari rack on top my XJ which had 3" and 33's. Dang i miss her sometimes...

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ (former), JL (current)
Is there a way to fit two pair of alpine skis on a spare tire mount rack? I'd rather not use the roof (even though I have a hard top). And the hitch racks are a royal pain to use if you want access through the trunk/gate.

Ideally there would be a rack that lets you mount a pair of skis vertically on either side of the spare tire. Thule used to make one, but it won't work with the JL because of the backup camera.

Any ideas?

I see this rack: https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HRSR1.html

It is a bike rack, but I wonder if I could use the straps to hold two pair of skis? I ski on 170cm skis (67") and the 2 door is listed as 73.9" wide from outer tire to outer tire. Any reason I can't just use this rack to mount skis horizontally instead of a bike crossbar? The skis wouldn't extend beyond the width of the vehicle. The rubber straps will fit around my skis. Skis are lighter than a bike. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I built the following which secures to the spare tire. Holds three pair of Ski's and poles. Easy enough until roof racks are developed for the JL.

IMG_2246.JPG
How'd you secure it to the spare tire?
Sponsored