Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
There are a lot of posts showing the 4 door but much fewer with the two door. For those who got the 2 what made you go that way vs the 4?
2dr Wranglers are cool but 4dr Wranglers are great because there are so many 2dr vehicles out there but the only (new) 4dr convertible you can buy is the Wrangler Unlimited.

Also, as authentic a 2dr Wrangler is, driving one makes you fall in to the category of buyers of cheap sports cars like Miatas and BRZs. You are more likely to see a jobless high school dropout wearing a cap backwards with poor taste in clothing in a 2dr. Unless you actually go rock crawling, which most don't, get a real sports convertible from BMW, Audi or Mercedes if you want to impress anyone. A Range Rover Evoque convertible will do if you want a 2 door convertible that can go offroad.

The 4dr can hang with big boys and girls like Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G classes and Patrols. The 2dr is a bit of a toy, in comparison.
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
2dr Wranglers are cool but 4dr Wranglers are great because there are so many 2dr vehicles out there but the only (new) 4dr convertible you can buy is the Wrangler Unlimited.

Also, as authentic a 2dr Wrangler is, driving one makes you fall in to the category of buyers of cheap sports cars like Miatas and BRZs. You are more likely to see a jobless high school dropout wearing a cap backwards with poor taste in clothing in a 2dr. Unless you actually go rock crawling, which most don't, get a real sports convertible from BMW, Audi or Mercedes if you want to impress anyone. A Range Rover Evoque convertible will do if you want a 2 door convertible that can go offroad.

The 4dr can hang with big boys and girls like Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G classes and Patrols. The 2dr is a bit of a toy, in comparison.
Huh?

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
I was confused, too. He lost me at "if you want to impress anyone." News flash: At the end of the day, people really don't care what kind of car you have. You buy a car because you like it, not to impress others.

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

In the time I originally posted this and now I actually traded my 4 door in for a 2 door, and I can say that it doesn't feel like a cheap sports car at all. I actually like the size and feel of it better than the 4 door. But the great thing is they make both depending on what people want, although I don't think the target market for the 2 doors is the jobless high school dropouts lol.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I dont plan on having passengers in my 2 dr JL. my wife and i rarely get company and if the kids ever visit we have her car for that. my thoughts were just a dependable vehicle for traveling and i limit how much stuff the wife can bring (lol). seriously a 2 dr is perfect for the wife and myself. i think the proportions are better on the 2 dr also.
This sounds like my wife and I exactly.

If she and I ever decide to consolidate down to a single vehicle (this could really happen with the car-on-demand services trend) we may look at an Unlimited. You have to budget in a lift and larger tires, of course, since a 4 door looks all wrong otherwise. May as well just get a Grand Cherokee.

As long a Jeep isn’t alone in my garage.. 2 doors for me, please.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Does the new 2 door ride as well as the 4 door on the highway now? The 4 door drove well that I tested, but curious on the 2 door. Typically LWB rides better.
For highway driving the Wrangler is the wrong choice no matter how many doors it has. A 6 door Wrangler would still be ill suited as a grand tourer. There are some other really great vehicles built for the highway, but look carefully at the Wrangler showroom brochure and count the number of pictures Jeep chose depicting a Wrangler commuting. The end.

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator

Ah yes, now I remember why I added you to my ignore list. :idea:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@Rockmaninoff

Seriously ...........You talk a bunch of stupid chiitt...........

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Very interesting thread--

I've had an UNLIMITED and now the 2dr--I've got my RAM for any freeway travel, except "NOW AND THEN"--

It's so much easier to maneuver/turn/avoid trees/bears/ruts--

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
For highway driving the Wrangler is the wrong choice no matter how many doors it has. A 6 door Wrangler would still be ill suited as a grand tourer. There are some other really great vehicles built for the highway, but look carefully at the Wrangler showroom brochure and count the number of pictures Jeep chose depicting a Wrangler commuting. The end.
Wrong. I owned a 4 door JKU Rubi and I have a Range Rover. The JKU is perfectly fine for commuting. The wheel base has always severely impacted the highway ride in past models, thus the question. Not to mention my '09 which is stretched out to 102" on full size Dana 70's (74" wms) on 40's rides significantly better than a stock 2 door JK on the highway. Again, track width, wheel base, weight. The TJ is darty on 33's stock wheel base, but that's expected from those years.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just drove my new Sport 2 door 120 miles home today. I traded a 2017 JKUR in on it and had to drive it 120 miles to tne dealership to trade. My impressions are as follows:

I've read that the new JL is a much better driving Jeep than the JK. My trip today did not bear that out. The JL did not track as well as the JK, it wandered on grooves in the road shrface, it needs constant attention when driving on the highway. It did not drive as good as the JK did.

It does seem ride as good on the highway. We got back to La Grande this afternoon and felt fine. The JL is very easy to ride in. It is smooth on the highway. It is a soft top, but while not as quiet as a hard top, it is much more quiet than my old TJs were and it drives MUCH better than I femember tbe TJs driving.

But, I think tney did their homework on this one.....it is a Jeep through and through. It is a throwback to a different time without being harsh. They seem to have overall improved the vehicle, but not at the expense of the essence of the Jeep.

The top is a little noisy, the ride is firm, it does not take corners like a sports car, but holy crap....it's a Jeep. FCA has managed to put a modern, reliable, and efficient power train in a very capable off road vehicle that passes both emissions and safety requirements. I think they nailed it.

As you can tell I am excited about this new Jeep!

Back to tbe original question....It does not drive as well as a 4 door, but it is the BEST driving 2 door I've seen or owned in the last 30 years.

I love this thing!
Thanks for your opinion! I'm primarily considering the 4 door over the 2 door for the ride quality since the wife will drive it from time to time. I will commute with it here and there as well and for long road trips. Her JKU Rubicon was great for every day use (80 miles b/f) but I wanted to see if the wheel base was still impacting the 2 door's highway ride. Sounds like it is and just nature of the beast. No worries!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is literally the dumbest post I've ever read on the forums.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Wrong. I owned a 4 door JKU Rubi and I have a Range Rover. The JKU is perfectly fine for commuting. The wheel base has always severely impacted the highway ride in past models, thus the question. Not to mention my '09 which is stretched out to 102" on full size Dana 70's (74" wms) on 40's rides significantly better than a stock 2 door JK on the highway. Again, track width, wheel base, weight. The TJ is darty on 33's stock wheel base, but that's expected from those years.
I didn’t say your 4 door Jeep isn’t a decent vehicle on the highway. My 2 door is a decent vehicle on the highway too. My point was that it really makes little difference which of the two models you choose since both JLs will be okay for highway driving. Neither would be the best choice in a vehicle for a person who drives on the highway, though.

Put another way, the knife you take with you for fishing would probably work okay if you took it with you hunting, but it’s ideal to have a more purpose built knife for hunting. In that vein, I’d hate to give up my Yukon for 80 mph highway cruising, just as I’d hate to give up my Wrangler for top down/doors off around town/beach fun. Two different knives for different endeavors, but whey’re still both knives.

I may be wrong, but it my 47 years I’ve owned all sorts of vehicles and some are better at one thing than they are the other. A Wrangler, no matter the door count, isn’t the best grand tourer.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Total agreement--

The WRANGLER is an OFF-ROAD/OVERLANDING vehicle, but

Chrysler , because of the year/tech./public response has made it HIGHWAY USEABLE--

If you're choosing a HIGHWAY/COMMUTE vehicle and that's the PRIMARY use--you shouldn't choose a vehicle with SOLID AXLES--

W.E.

JIMBO
I didn’t say your 4 door Jeep isn’t a decent vehicle on the highway. My 2 door is a decent vehicle on the highway too. My point was that it really makes little difference which of the two models you choose since both JLs will be okay for highway driving. Neither would be the best choice in a vehicle for a person who drives on the highway, though.

Put another way, the knife you take with you for fishing would probably work okay if you took it with you hunting, but it’s ideal to have a more purpose built knife for hunting. In that vein, I’d hate to give up my Yukon for 80 mph highway cruising, just as I’d hate to give up my Wrangler for top down/doors off around town/beach fun. Two different knives for different endeavors, but whey’re still both knives.

I may be wrong, but it my 47 years I’ve owned all sorts of vehicles and some are better at one thing than they are the other. A Wrangler, no matter the door count, isn’t the best grand tourer.
Sponsored