Well maintained JK or new JL

ckc

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
The plan was to buy a lightly used JK and sell it in a few years to fund a JL with hopefully more of the bugs/kinks worked out.

However, as I started pricing it out a certified 2015 JKU Sport with ~30k miles would only be roughly $5,000 less than a comparable new 2018 JLU with tech pkg. If you were me, would you just get the JLU?

Appreciate your thoughts...
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
This is a JL site. Guess what people are going to tell you? I had plenty of brand new JLs to choose from when I bought my JL.

There are some trolls here that will show up from time to time, though. Be prepared to hear about iffy welds and vague steering.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Will you be buying an automatic or manual? If auto, go with the JL, if manual, go with the JK.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Will you be buying an automatic or manual? If auto, go with the JL, if manual, go with the JK.
Not sure why this advice. I came out of a ā€˜12 JKU with manual and 103k miles. JL manual is far superior and much nicer to drive than the JK manual.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Not sure why this advice. I came out of a ā€˜12 JKU with manual and 103k miles. JL manual is far superior and much nicer to drive than the JK manual.
I had a 13 Jk Manual and now have a JL automatic.

If you were comparing the transmissions on the JK then yes itā€™s superior but the new transmission on the JL makes a huge difference. I wouldnā€™t feel that it was inferior at all

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@ckc. I was in the exact same boat as you...I thought Iā€™d buy a used jk and trade up later but in my opinion, the price difference doesnā€™t make up for the lack of a warranty. So now I own a JLUS with the manufacturerā€™s warranty and my dealer gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty. I feel like those two things are well worth buying new.

I only have a little experience driving a JK...but from what I can tell, Jeep has made a bunch of improvements over the JK. Most of them are probably small improvements, but most of them are also greatly appreciated!

You canā€™t really go wrong with either...Just my opinion...

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Asked seriously, not condescendingly, do you believe OP that the JL will improve by greater leaps than the JK bought now will depreciate?

True, Wranglers hold value better than most other vehicles, but all non-collector vehicles lose value over time.

I'm not sure that, say, the 2020 JL won't have bugs endemic to that model year. I am pretty sure that the gap between cost of the two rigs (the future new JL and today's JK) will only widen with time as the JL goes for more and more money, adjusted for inflation, while the JK depreciates.

Only you can put a value on whether your peace of mind with future JL models having less kinks is outpaced by the greater outlay the exchange will cost down the road: not to say if you buy a JL now, it too won't depreciate: because it will, or that the NPV (net present value) of a future transaction costs less in today's money, because it does.

The issue with NPV though is whether you think the money you might bank today holding off on the JL, will earn greater interest than the inevitable price rise of the JL in terms of today's dollar.

Sorry for the techno finance stuff. I'd talk emotional factors too, but I can't assign them value without knowing the directions you lean towards and why.

I try not to tell people what to do. I do try to tell people the reasonable factors to put personal value on to arrive at the decision right for them.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Had a 2014 JK and a 2016 JK- the JL is better in every way.

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Worked on the JK, helped develop the JL up until 2015. I'm very happy with how the program shakes out. So many small improvements that add up to a vehicle that's overall much improved. They didn't wildly re-invent the Jeep, and with the architecture being similar enough to the JL, I don't worry as much about first model year problems.

The JK is still a fantastic vehicle, but I experienced the same thing as you seeing that the price difference between low miles JK and a brand new JL wasn't that far off. Even if it was completely unchanged, I would still would go for brand new with the prices being so close.

Good luck with your decision!

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
If I was going to spend money on a used JK it would be one of AEVs company demo trucks. That said, I bought the JL.

Sponsored

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've owned 3 JKs and the JL is in a completely different league.

Not sure why someone above recommended the JK if it's a manuaL...WRONG. JL manual tranny is awesome, blows away JK!

If it was me...JL hands down.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
have only owned a JL for about 2k miles now. test drove a JK about twice a year for the last 3 years (yes that is less than 2k miles) - but, the reason why I kept re-test driving the JK is I was trying to figure out if I was going to be ok with all the things that I felt were compromises. first time I test drove a JL most if not all of the JK compromises were gone, and I signed the papers. I am not a Jeep expert, far from it. Before this Wrangler had a Commander for 3 years, that's it. to me the JL was considerably better in all aspects. Taste is subjective, drive both, take a long test drive in both, either will be fun off-road.

ring_zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLUR
JLU. I owned a 2014 JKUSs(now own a 2018 JLUR) and the JLU beats it handsdown.

I agree with you 100% @fdisker2000!

I owned (outright) a 2015 JKU and traded it in to purchase my new 2018 JLUR. The JL is a completely different vehicle from the JK. I to believe that the JL is hands down a much better Jeep. Ride quality between the two models is night and day. I could not be happier with my decision to purchase the JL.

@RussJeep1, as far as Jeeps holding their value, the dealership I purchased my JL from gave me gave me what I paid for my 2015 JK on the trade-in. I was very surprised they offered me full price - minus the $4K I spent on the mods for my JK.

@phatjoe is correct. My JK was manual and my JL is manual. I definitely prefer the JL. Much shorter shifts and much better clutch engagement with the JL.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Because the gearing in the new manual is horrible. However, the JL in every other area is leaps and bounds better than a JK.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
We've owned several Jeeps over the years and the JLU is absolutely the best (for us!). What we love; doors that act like doors, the 8 speed automatic, the information available in the instrument panel and entertainment center, ability to add 33's to a Sport S with no modifications (love the Rubi takeoffs!!), etc.
The JK is really good, the JL is really better. :jk:
Sponsored