Sponsored

Leasing decision: manual or automatic? Upgrade to S?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I would assume most leases are going to auto trans, but from just a pure recommendation, the new 8 speed auto is fantastic. The JLU accelerates like a boss, and decelerates well too as it goes through the gears. I'm super impressed. I almost got a manual mostly to prevent the wife from driving it, but figured she'd make me teach her to drive stick anyway and would then be extra wear and tear. I'm kind of kidding ;)

The upgraded options on the S make it almost mandatory in my mind.
I bought, not leased (even though it’s owned by my business) a 2 door soft top Sport which isn’t, and never will be a daily driver. The doors will stay off half the year so convenience options didn’t concern me. I chose the 8 speed for convenience, though. And AC, because I’m not an idiot.

*Anti spin is a MUST on a Sport too.*

I would never have bought an Unlimited Sport, though. It’s my believe that if you have 4 doors you absolutely have to have power windows and doors since the driver cannot reach them from the drivers seat like he can the front passenger door. Like the post above, the Sport S would be mandatory in my mind, too.

Good luck!
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, you're one lucky dude, then. I was going to lease my JL at first, but I was told only mods acceptable after paperwork would be typical extranneous things like decals that people do to pretty much any car. If I did anything more than that (lights, wiring, hood, doors, lift, etc.) I would HAVE to remove at lease end at my own risk: slightest hint of damage or change beyond state at paperwork and I would be slammed with fees. And this was coming from my sales rep who is a good friend of mine. He kinda pushed me away from leasing a Wrangler as long as I could feasibly afford it, actually.

I ended up buying because I knew I wanted to mod and I didn't want to run that risk. But if that's the case in your area, that's awesome!
Boy they reeled you in.

I'm on my 3rd Wrangler lease, over a period of 7 years, from 2 different dealers. You can see my growing list of mods in my signature line.

At NO point in time is a representative from Jeep going to knock on your door to see if you've modded your Jeep. And nobody mods a leased Jeep with the idea of leaving everything on the Jeep when they turn it back in. Naturally you're going to keep the items you bought to use on the next Jeep or to sell for money on craigslist.

Leasing is the way to go on Wrangler, because they hold value so well that the residuals are sky high, which means your monthly payment should be dirt cheap (I've seen as low as $279/month), and you get a new one with all the cool new options after 36 months has passed.

If you're not willing to mod it and enjoy it, then it's not worth having in the driveway.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
My finance guy during my lease paperwork told me usually at the end of the lease I can sell the car back to the dealership and make a small profit and move that money to another Jeep lease with how well they hold their value. Who knows if that is true, but it echos what some here are saying they’ve been told.
Boy they reeled you in.

I'm on my 3rd Wrangler lease, over a period of 7 years, from 2 different dealers. You can see my growing list of mods in my signature line.

At NO point in time is a representative from Jeep going to knock on your door to see if you've modded your Jeep. And nobody mods a leased Jeep with the idea of leaving everything on the Jeep when they turn it back in. Naturally you're going to keep the items you bought to use on the next Jeep or to sell for money on craigslist.

Leasing is the way to go on Wrangler, because they hold value so well that the residuals are sky high, which means your monthly payment should be dirt cheap (I've seen as low as $279/month), and you get a new one with all the cool new options after 36 months has passed.

If you're not willing to mod it and enjoy it, then it's not worth having in the driveway.
Listen to me and @WXman. We are speaking on experience not speculation.

And @WXman , I lease my Sport S for $264 :P

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I also lease my Sport S and have modded it:

1. Side steps
2. Plasti-dipped my wheels black
3. Put on a Barricade Bumper
4. Fuel door
5. Bigger tires
6. LED lights

Ultimately as long as it is structurally sound it's ok! Our salesman said you can lift it or whatever. And you're right, adds value! You can always buy it out and turn around and sell it. We always lease, makes more sense for our needs!

This is ludicrously false. I lease mine a few months ago (I always lease cars) for a few reasons:

1. I like new cars.
2. I like lower payments.
3. I like 100% warranty no matter what

With this Jeep, I leased for an additional reason for the simple fact that I didn't know if it was going to be a piece of junk so that way when I have to turn it in, that is exactly what I would do; turn it in!. History has shown with Chrysler products not to necessarily get the initial new gen vehicle.

However, I fell in love with mine and modded it already. In fact, if you mod it AND turn it back in, then it increases your residual value at the end. (My best friend is a sales manager). With the money I've saved from larger payments, I can mod more :).

I have put the following on Sport S. (Again, its a lease)

1. Rubi rock rails
2. Xpel paint protection clear bra over the entire front end.
3. BFG 33
4. RC lift kit 2.5
5. LED lighting package
6. Tow package with harness.
7. Dual USB and 12V in the rear console.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Boy they reeled you in.
All good - I'm glad I bought. I'm planning on having the jeep for a long time, and no car payments is a big goal of mine. (Never said they were going to "knock on my door," either - I was talking only about car condition at beginning and end of lease.)

I've also seen some of my family members get totally ripped for silly things when they go to turn a lease back in. Glad things are much better around you guys!

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I also lease my Sport S and have modded it:

1. Side steps
2. Pla
This is ludicrously false. I lease mine a few months ago (I always lease cars) for a few reasons:

1. I like new cars.
2. I like lower payments.
3. I like 100% warranty no matter what

With this Jeep, I leased for an additional reason for the simple fact that I didn't know if it was going to be a piece of junk so that way when I have to turn it in, that is exactly what I would do; turn it in!. History has shown with Chrysler products not to necessarily get the initial new gen vehicle.

However, I fell in love with mine and modded it already. In fact, if you mod it AND turn it back in, then it increases your residual value at the end. (My best friend is a sales manager). With the money I've saved from larger payments, I can mod more :).

I have put the following on Sport S. (Again, its a lease)

1. Rubi rock rails
2. Xpel paint protection clear bra over the entire front end.
3. BFG 33
4. RC lift kit 2.5
5. LED lighting package
6. Tow package with harness.
7. Dual USB and 12V in the rear console.
Leased cars are glorified rentals. If you’re not going to buy the car at lease end as you indicated you never do, putting a bra on a car to protect paint that is owned by a leasing company, and will never be yours, makes zero sense. Do you put expel on your neighbors cars too? :)

I’ve leased cars before, but I always looked at them as a rental car. Even the Weathertech Floor Mats I buy get put on eBay when I return the leased vehicle.

Cars that I own, then mod, get return back to stock before trading them. If I’m lucky enough to find a private party buyer I’ll give the buyer the option.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Auto all day, the 8 speed is noice. Been a MT driver my whole life, but recently I have acquired old man back and leg problems, driving a stick too long would bother it a lot. Got the 8 speed auto in my JL and am impressed, and I can throw it into manual if I want.
Sport s if 4dr...sport if 2 door
4dr sport comes with ac, you don't need the S package to get AC in the 4 door, 2 door is different AC is an option on the s, power windows and dooras on a 4 door, or you will be annoyed real fast

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Leased cars are glorified rentals. If you’re not going to buy the car at lease end as you indicated you never do, putting a bra on a car to protect paint that is owned by a leasing company, and will never be yours, makes zero sense. Do you put expel on your neighbors cars too? :)

I’ve leased cars before, but I always looked at them as a rental car. Even the Weathertech Floor Mats I buy get put on eBay when I return the leased vehicle.

Cars that I own, then mod, get return back to stock before trading them. If I’m lucky enough to find a private party buyer I’ll give the buyer the option.
Reading comprehension can be dangerous for some I have found out on the Jeep website.

Let's try this again, perhaps a little slower, atleast the important parts.(again, I have no idea why I am trying to explain this to someone who just doesn't flat out get it)

1. I never said I wasnt going to buy it, lol.
2. I said I fell in love with it after I bought it which is why i am modding it.
3. If I do decide to turn it in, not am I not going to buy another jeep, and side from that fact that it will be worth more than my residual, it's a selling, negotiating point and even a positive as far them negotiating a new one.
4. You can call a lease whatever that makes you feel better at the end of the day (sometimes I call my sister a bitch, but at the end of the day, shes still my sister whether I like it or not).

You don't have to agree with my reasoning but my leases have worked out perfectly in the end and seems they have for many, many other also.

I guess I should have said you're an idiot for buying the car then spout of random thoughts that come to mind. But I wouldnt do that.

Side note - before I was going to buy this 2018, I was going to BUY a 2015 but I figured lease for 3 with low payments, then make sure it's not junk then buy this one right out in 2021 if i wanted.

Atleast in 2021 I know exactly the lowest equity I stand already.

And if I get desperate, sell to private party.

This is business 101 man.

On the xpel thing, I like a shiny jeep without bird shit all over it. Wipes right off. Plus I can afford it.

I guess if you have money problems, i can see why a lease wouldnt be for you.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Reading comprehension can be dangerous for some I have found out on the Jeep website.

Let's try this again, perhaps a little slower, atleast the important parts.(again, I have no idea why I am trying to explain this to someone who just doesn't flat out get it)

2. I said I fell in love with it after I bought it which is why i am modding it.
3. If I do decide to turn it in, not am I not going to buy another jeep, and side from that fact that it will be worth more than my residual, it's a selling, negotiating point and even a positive as far them negotiating a new one.
4. You can call a lease whatever that makes you feel better at the end of the day (sometimes I call my sister a bitch, but at the end of the day, shes still my sister whether I like it or not).

You don't have to agree with my reasoning but my leases have worked out perfectly in the end and seems they have for many, many other also.

I guess I should have said you're an idiot for buying the car then spout of random thoughts that come to mind. But I wouldnt do that.

Side note - before I was going to buy this 2018, I was going to BUY a 2015 but I figured lease for 3 with low payments, then make sure it's not junk then buy this one right out in 2021 if i wanted.

On the xpel thing, I like a shiny jeep without bird shit all over it. Wipes right off. Plus I can afford it.

With historically low depreciation rates on Wranglers unless you are crazy upside down at purchase you can make money after 3yrs selling or trading in as is (if it is taken care of) instead of taking everything off and turning it back in for free.

A higher depriciation schedule with a low lease payment also results in a higher balloon at the end of a lease.

I could never lease because of mileage but I guess like everything else it is personal preference and varies depending on your budget.

In 3yrs my JL will be paid for.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

The reasons you gave for favoring leasing were that you 1. like low payments, 2. you like to have a car that’s under factory warranty, and 3. you like to driving new cars.

Was it a stretch for me to assume that you return your cars upon lease end rather than buy them after reading your reasons for leasing your cars?

Xpel has absolutely nothing to do with bird poop- it’s there for stone chips- which is why you put it on the front facing surfaces on the car rather than the sky facing surfaces of the car.

And I wouldn’t worry yourself over my finances. Haha. Seriously. Just don’t.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The reasons you gave for favoring leasing were that you 1. like low payments, 2. you like to have a car that’s under factory warranty, and 3. you like to driving new cars.

Was it a stretch for me to assume that you return your cars upon lease end rather than buy them after reading your reasons for leasing your cars?

Xpel has absolutely nothing to do with bird poop- it’s there for stone chips- which is why you put it on the front facing surfaces on the car rather than the sky facing surfaces of the car.

And I wouldn’t worry yourself over my finances. Haha. Seriously. Just don’t.
Shouldn't assume things.

ASS out of U and ME = assume.

One thing I've learned from our conversation. I'll bring you next time with me so I dont make any stupid mistakes. Thanks man!

Clearly you're one of the dumbest commenters I've seen in this site. You should research EVERYTHING before you comment. I'm not even joking lol.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

Shouldn't assume things.

ASS out of U and ME = assume.

One thing I've learned from our conversation. I'll bring you next time with me so I dont make any stupid mistakes. Thanks man!

Clearly you're one of the dumbest commenters I've seen in this site. You should research EVERYTHING before you comment. I'm not even joking lol.
huh?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Bdmoore99 to the original OP.

Reach out anytime of you wanna know about a lease from someone who has done it numerous times and not from people who are absolutely clueless on it and have never done it. Facts speak more than opinions, especially those who have no financial background or even math for that matter.

There are others on here that are knowledgeable on here that can provide additional info that I may have left out. Not sure why people are commenting that have never done it. Blows my mind.

I think I've lost brain cells commenting on this for the day.
Sponsored