Reputable NorCal Dealers?

cdyork

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ Sport, 2018 JL Rubicon
Amazing! Thanks for the thorough reply. I'll be sure to check them all out :) Do you know how the tax & title process works bringing a vehicle back into California? I've never done anything like this before and am totally clueless.
I bought my JLUR from Dennis Dillon. Picked it up in early May. Paid the California sales tax at purchase and they referred me to a service here in CA that handled the registration. When you bring into CA you need to get a VIN verification and a smog check. Once that is done send your paperwork to the company referred by the dealer and its done. Very easy process and the registration company didn't charge a fee for their service. I highly recommend Dennis Dillon. They will pick you up at the airport if needed. Easy Southwest Flight into Boise.
Sponsored

C7-JL

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 911 GTS, 18 ZR2, 18 JLU Rubicon, 18 Road King Special, 17 Monster 1200R
I bought my JLUR from Dennis Dillon. Picked it up in early May. Paid the California sales tax at purchase and they referred me to a service here in CA that handled the registration. When you bring into CA you need to get a VIN verification and a smog check. Once that is done send your paperwork to the company referred by the dealer and its done. Very easy process and the registration company didn't charge a fee for their service. I highly recommend Dennis Dillon. They will pick you up at the airport if needed. Easy Southwest Flight into Boise.
Thanks for the info.

So, this is what I was concerned with, and when the salesperson at Dennis Dillon couldn't answer pushed me to work harder for a local deal. Buying in state lets you get the smog abatement so you don't need to get a smog check for the first 6 years of ownership. Going with this, you'll need to smog every two years from the start. Probably not a big deal to most, but I generally keep my vehicles 18-36 months and having to get the smog check (and keep it 100% smog legal) is sometimes a pain for me. ;)

OP
OP

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Thank you for that information :) Glad it was smooth and easy. Appreciate your help!

gbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I had a good experience with South County in Marin. The pricing was fair (though not as aggressive as out-of-state options, no surprise.) What I appreciated, however, was their willingness to throw the keys of any vehicle to me over the course of several visits. Salespeople were fine (though not super knowledgeable about trim details, etc.), environment was low pressure, and they ultimately delivered at a price I could live with. Lots of inventory, too. Final purchase experience was done in about an hour, including paperwork and everything.

In my case, I'm happy with the local purchase vs. driving back from Boise or Vegas (my two most realistic options).

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing! Thanks for the thorough reply. I'll be sure to check them all out :) Do you know how the tax & title process works bringing a vehicle back into California? I've never done anything like this before and am totally clueless.
CA goes after you with taxes and they will charge the difference in the rate in the purchased state, they do this to discourage people going out of state to buy cars and avoid taxes but they get you. Make sure the deal outweighs "Jerry's" bonus.

Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
CA goes after you with taxes and they will charge the difference in the rate in the purchased state, they do this to discourage people going out of state to buy cars and avoid taxes but they get you. Make sure the deal outweighs "Jerry's" bonus.
LOL... In Cali you're paying the same tax regardless of where you purchase. Some out of state dealers ( AZ and ID ) will sell you a vehicle with a temp DMV registration(no state sales tax) to allow you to get out of state. Once in Cali you pay applicable tax for your zipcode.

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
LOL... In Cali you're paying the same tax regardless of where you purchase. Some out of state dealers ( AZ and ID ) will sell you a vehicle with a temp DMV registration(no state sales tax) to allow you to get out of state. Once in Cali you pay applicable tax for your zipcode.
that is good to know i paid taxes twice when i moved here, i bought a new car paid taxes in iowa and registered it and then when i registered here i had to pay taxes again. so what you're saying is some places will let you buy a car tax free, but when you reg you pay the tax. thats great!

Gkatnh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green '99 WJ; White '18 JLUR
that is good to know i paid taxes twice when i moved here, i bought a new car paid taxes in iowa and registered it and then when i registered here i had to pay taxes again. so what you're saying is some places will let you buy a car tax free, but when you reg you pay the tax. thats great!
You might be able to get your duplicate tax payment refunded. DMV will likely refer you to CA Department of Tax and Fee Administration for details relative to your specifics. Generally speaking, CA will give you credit for the tax paid to another state. The specifics can be found under "Consumer Use Tax." Good luck!

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Bought mine in Gilroy, easy to deal with and they offered a decent discount, 6K off sticker, they currently have 4K off.

OP
OP

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Bought mine in Gilroy, easy to deal with and they offered a decent discount, 6K off sticker, they currently have 4K off.
South County? Is that discount contingent on taking their financing?

Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
South County? Is that discount contingent on taking their financing?
Yes South county, and no I used my credit union, I had gone in approved and they had my credit union in the system. Paperwork didn't take long at all. Don't remember the name of the sales person, sent in an online question early one morning and he called me back before 8 am.

Jeddi

First Name
Jeddi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK8
Bay area dealers are so frustrating to deal with!! I've probably called every single one from here in east bay, north bay, south bay and several in LA area. I've found good deals in ID and Vegas but I'm trying to find a rig closer to home for around 5% below invoice. Will keep you posted with my progress.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Bay area dealers are so frustrating to deal with!! I've probably called every single one from here in east bay, north bay, south bay and several in LA area. I've found good deals in ID and Vegas but I'm trying to find a rig closer to home for around 5% below invoice. Will keep you posted with my progress.
I got mine at the Sacramento dealer for about 3% under invoice. Probably could have negotiated a better price if they didn’t have to transfer/trade it in from a different dealer.

Gkatnh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green '99 WJ; White '18 JLUR
I got mine at the Sacramento dealer for about 3% under invoice. Probably could have negotiated a better price if they didn’t have to transfer/trade it in from a different dealer.
Nice one. I ultimately went through Lodi. Ask for Mary Steves... he was awesome! Super knowledgeable and helpful. I got about 2% below invoice. Yes, I could've done better elsewhere, but I had no haggle and the model had nothing feature-wise I didn't want. Before I even stepped in, we had everything pretty much squared away. I was pre-approved with a good rate from my credit union, but Lodi also found me financing at 0.70% better.

I highly recommend you just give them a call and ask for Marty.

k.daddy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2019 Wrangler Moab
Call Rene at Lithia Jeep in Concord he will do good deals...close enough that its not worth your time or money to go to Vegas or Idaho. His number is 925.451.0629..tell him Eric sent you..I just did a deal with him for a 2019 2 weeks ago he was easy to deal with also.
Sponsored