Sponsored

Rear window creak

Gunnut45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 2018 jlu
I had my top off for about a week and had to put the hard top back on due to a few days of rain. When I put it back on, I noticed a really loud creaking sound while driving on anything bumpy. I initially thought I may have the bolts on too tight or too loose but found that the sound was actually coming from the rear window rubbing the trim. I clean it really well with a damp cloth and the sound is almost gone. Has anyone treated the seals with anything to prevent this?
Sponsored

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a JLU hard top 4 door and have struggled with this for a while now. I know it’s the seal because it will go away when the seal is wet. I’ve done white lithium grease and that helps temporarily, but it looks crappy if it’s on too thick, and it dries up if it’s on too thin.

Thinking about this silicone spray, or maybe a swipe of Vaseline? Any thoughts? I’ve heard petroleum can dry out rubber seals and make it worse over time?

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Interesting, I just posted about this in another thread concerning rattles. I have the same issue. I cleaned the sealed and wiped down with silicone spray lubricant and it stopped about 90% of the noise for the first day but it slowly seems to be coming back. I think it is a seal issue where it makes the cup like contact point on both sides near the top tailgate opening of the seal.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/weird-plastic-rattle.10570/#post-260605

Romato131

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I had my top off for about a week and had to put the hard top back on due to a few days of rain. When I put it back on, I noticed a really loud creaking sound while driving on anything bumpy. I initially thought I may have the bolts on too tight or too loose but found that the sound was actually coming from the rear window rubbing the trim. I clean it really well with a damp cloth and the sound is almost gone. Has anyone treated the seals with anything to prevent this?
Yes I have the noise is coming from the top of the tailgate when it makes contact with the lower part of the rear window weather strip. Spray the top inside of the tailgate with silicone spray and also spray the tape like fabric thats on both ends with silicone spray. Do it a couple of times for to says worked for me it was driving me crazy

Romato131

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Sorry about the spelling I ment do it for two or three days a couple of times

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I had the same issue with my JKU. I just tune it out, and play the radio softly...it is a jeep. :)

CaptainJLU

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have the noise is coming from the top of the tailgate when it makes contact with the lower part of the rear window weather strip. Spray the top inside of the tailgate with silicone spray and also spray the tape like fabric thats on both ends with silicone spray. Do it a couple of times for to says worked for me it was driving me crazy
Victory :muscle:.
Thank you so much for figuring that out, It drove me insane...I could not enjoy riding at all. I sat in the back while someone was driving and seriously checket everything to find that squeegee noise. will go and get silicon spray ASAP.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Maybe some KY Jelly...lol. Glycerine gel as it's water soluble?

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Victory :muscle:.
Thank you so much for figuring that out, It drove me insane...I could not enjoy riding at all. I sat in the back while someone was driving and seriously checket everything to find that squeegee noise. will go and get silicon spray ASAP.
Im battling the same thing as well looks like ill have to try the silicon spray as well

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I use 303 on the seal that touches the swing gate and it quiets things up a lot but not a permanent fix as it comes back after a heavy rain

Sponsored

CaptainJLU

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I keep the silicon spray in my trunk now... when ever it starts to annoy me again, I simply apply the spray. But yes unfortunately not a permanent solution.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
JLU Hardtop. I was about to post a thread on this, until i saw this.
I had been out of town for several days, and had been driving in the rain every day. Two days ago, i bought a Rubicon takeoff, from a fellow member, and had it installed yesterday. After the installation, i noticed a
dominant creak from the back cargo area, while driving slow. Thought the suspension was rubbing on something and lost sleep over it. Today, i had the front end aligned, and still the noise persisted, even after I checked everything, while on the lift. I was going nuts, until i had My 12 yr old crawl back there, as i drove slow, on our street. She said it was the window seal, where it connected to the door.
So, i sprayed some silicone on a paper towel, wiped the rubber seals around the window, and gave it a test drive. Fixed. Now its quiet as can be. I guess all the rain had dried it out and made it stick to the door. Saved me a trip to the dealership, and hours waiting for them to figure it out.

diisles

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Man thanks for finding what this was! It's driving me crazy! Any suggestions on what brand silicone spray is best for this?

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I coated the entire seal with white lithium grease back in August. Hasn't been an issue since
Sponsored