OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just to refresh the thread, now that this thread has sprung up again as a reminder, I though I’dd add that we now know the SelecTrac transfer case in question: it’s SelecTrac-II / MP3022 and not the hoped for SelecTrac-I / NV242.

Additionally this will obviously be a slightly different implementation of the MP3022 with the 5 position selector, vs a 2-3 position dial configuration typically found in the Liberty, Cherokee, GC and V8 Durango where the MP3022 has previously been resident.

So a bit of a letdown there, we’ll have to wait for someone like Peterson’s, JP, etc to do a deep-dive as to how worthy it is of being in the JL. Regardless, I’d still prefer the true SelecTrac instead.

BTW, Jeepster’s correct that the current configuration list we’ve seen for axles & specs from the SAE-J2807 towing/payload sheet only has 3.45 for the gasoline Sahara , but you can easily add another ratio to the Axle for nearly the same as FCA’s current $695 up-charge on the JK, whereas it’s much harder to add to or replace the Transfer Case.

As the diesel has the 3.73 listed as the axle ratios for all three Sport/Sahara/Rubi, there is a glimmer of hope that there may be additional options later (by tweaking your order with a capable dealer), but at this point it does seem like 3.45 will be the stock config for the SelecTrac capable Saharas.
Sponsored

deerjeep79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised there aren't more 2dr diehards pissed that we aren't even given this as an option. Selec-Trac was a huge selling point for me when it was reported. Now I have to shell out another 4K for two extra doors I don't want, on top of the Sahara price premium. I'm fairly disappointed, to say the least. FT 4WD would've been nice for NE winters but, 2 doors till I die (or have children).

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Just to refresh the thread, now that this thread has sprung up again as a reminder, I though I’dd add that we now know the SelecTrac transfer case in question: it’s SelecTrac-II / MP3022 and not the hoped for SelecTrac-I / NV242.

Additionally this will obviously be a slightly different implementation of the MP3022 with the 5 position selector, vs a 2-3 position dial configuration typically found in the Liberty, Cherokee, GC and V8 Durango where the MP3022 has previously been resident.

So a bit of a letdown there, we’ll have to wait for someone like Peterson’s, JP, etc to do a deep-dive as to how worthy it is of being in the JL. Regardless, I’d still prefer the true SelecTrac instead.

BTW, Jeepster’s correct that the current configuration list we’ve seen for axles & specs from the SAE-J2807 towing/payload sheet only has 3.45 for the gasoline Sahara , but you can easily add another ratio to the Axle for nearly the same as FCA’s current $695 up-charge on the JK, whereas it’s much harder to add to or replace the Transfer Case.

As the diesel has the 3.73 listed as the axle ratios for all three Sport/Sahara/Rubi, there is a glimmer of hope that there may be additional options later (by tweaking your order with a capable dealer), but at this point it does seem like 3.45 will be the stock config for the SelecTrac capable Saharas.
It's disappointing that they didn't go with the NV242. But on the other hand I've decided on a Rubicon anyways for other reasons, so I'm not too bothered by it.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
so you think you could add another axel ratio to the select trac? It might turn out to be a very good option if you add 3;73 or better yet 4:10 ( yeah I know no chance from the factory) and get the sahara with the higher fenders throw on some 35s Hmmm..... what would that crawl ratio be?

So if the video on the first off road ride by tfl was right then it is just 2 days until prices come out?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
I'm surprised there aren't more 2dr diehards pissed that we aren't even given this as an option. Selec-Trac was a huge selling point for me when it was reported. Now I have to shell out another 4K for two extra doors I don't want, on top of the Sahara price premium. I'm fairly disappointed, to say the least. FT 4WD would've been nice for NE winters but, 2 doors till I die (or have children).
Is that a twinkle in your eye? :)

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
me too roc trac with full time and front rear lockers

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so you think you could add another axel ratio to the select trac? It might turn out to be a very good option if you add 3;73 or better yet 4:10 ( yeah I know no chance from the factory) and get the sahara with the higher fenders throw on some 35s Hmmm..... what would that crawl ratio be?
It would be the same as CommandTrac on the Sport/Sahara, as it is also 2.72:1 Low range.

So default Crawl Ratios are 48.14 to 1 on the 6spd Manual and 44.24 on the 8spd Auto with the 3.45 axles. With a 4.10 Axle it would be 57.2 and 52.6 respectively.

So if the video on the first off road ride by tfl was right then it is just 2 days until prices come out?
Embargo likely ends Midnight Eastern time tomorrow night Dec 12/13 , so expect a very large review release in about 25 hrs.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sorry if you already answered this but can you explain the disadvantage of the MP3022 vs the NV242.

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT

Additionally this will obviously be a slightly different implementation of the MP3022 with the 5 position selector, vs a 2-3 position dial configuration typically found in the Liberty, Cherokee, GC and V8 Durango where the MP3022 has previously been resident....
It may be a five position dial with AUTO (computer switches between 2WD and FT4WD), SNOW, SAND, MUD, and ROCK positions, perhaps with four buttons inside the dial, something like:

4WD LOW .| NEUTRAL
------------------
4WD LOCK | HILL DESCENT

with 4WD LOCK (or "4WD" over a padlock icon) keeping it in FT4WD/preventing it from dropping back to 2WD (like the Renegade and Compass).

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if you already answered this but can you explain the disadvantage of the MP3022 vs the NV242.
NV242 has a true locking chain driven PT 4x4 system that is exactly like the NV241 transfer case in a JK, in addition is a 48/52 torque-biased centre diff for FT duties . It remains entirely mechanical, and arguably reacts quicker than an electronically controlled system.

The MP3022 uses electronics to control its FT torque splitting activation, it has had a few quoted torque splits (42/58 in the Liberty and 50/50 in the Durango) but defaults to RWD until the electronics engage the clutch pack. For it’s PT duties it uses a braking mechanism (IIRC it’s a sleeve) to ‘lock’ its ctutch pack when in 4H/L mode and takes a bit longer to engage/setup. It is also arguably slower to react in FT mode. It’ll be interesting to see how this works, as it will technically not be physically shifting between modes like in the NV241 & NV242 vs the shifter position telling the MP3022 which mode it should be in (similar to an auto transmission shifter) and then that activates an internal shift motor to engage the various modes. Though to be fair, this may be a new implementation and may yet again be different from the previous two major implementations.

Early varaints were a bit weaker, but as the latest refresh were in recent V8 Durangos as the upgrade option, they likely will be more robust than the early Liberty/Cherokee options, so I don’t think there is any issue there although I’ve seen no associated torque handling #s so dunno how it would compare to the strong, but underrated NV242. However, I suspect it’ll be similar to the CommandTrac NV241 for numbers , and given that will likely be less robust than the NV241OR.

Reliability might be questionable until it sees actual trail time again in something that can snap parts like a Wrangler with its very high torque multiplying ratio first gear options, but I think for most people looking to SelecTrac as a soft-road option and not a RockCrawler then it should be OK. But if you were truly looking for a SelecRocTrac variant, the NV242 would’ve definitely been the better platform to build from IMO.

Just a footnote, as to why people care, other than robustness etc., SelecTrac-I is very much like the existing Wrangler TC with FT added, so it feels comfortable and reassuring, whereas SelecTrac-II is a different approach that will add newness not only to FT aspect, but also how the Part Time modes engage/act/feel as well, so a bit more re-learning for existing JK owners.

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may be a five position dial with AUTO (computer switches between 2WD and FT4WD), SNOW, SAND, MUD, and ROCK positions, perhaps with four buttons inside the dial.
Nah, we’ve already seen the shifter pattern and modes described in the User Manual and Guide, and it is repetedly being called a “5-position Transfer Case” in other literature and launch as well. So that would imply the TC has all 5 stop and it doesn’t have a Terrain management system with Snow, Mud, etc.

A215C79F-61CD-47D7-8195-2F93D9E1ADFF.jpeg

OP
OP
The Great Grape Ape

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused. I thought the 5-position transfer case wasn't available for the Rubicon, but that's the Rubicon locker selector behind the shifter in that photo, neh?
Yeah, we noticed that when the guide was originally released. Everyone pretty much agrees, that it’s just lazy rendering where they took the same 4-position shot and overlayed the 5-position shift pattern image (notice the reflections etc are exactly the same).

Now there could still be a rear locker option on the Sahara, as initially described, so the selector would work with Rear only the way it currently does in the equipped Sahara JK(U)s, but that’s unlikely as most of the follow-up info has removed any reference to it and has the Sahara as LSD and Rubicon only getting lockers.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Thanks.

I wonder whether it'd be possible to replace the manual shifter cap with the Willys design auto shifter cap. I never valet it, so as long as I never need to take it to a shop...

Sorry, sad joke. My LJ spends half its life in a shop.
Sponsored