Sponsored

Option Advice...what's worth it & what do you wish you took a pass on?

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
When I got mine, the must haves were rubicon, led lights and tow package. My wife's car had leds and they're amazing, so knew I had to have them, and I tow a trailer camping, so tow package was also a must have as it also pre wires the jeep for a brake controller. I wanted 8 speed for towing but would have been fine with the manual.

I ended up getting a fairly loaded 8 speed jlur, and the only option I don't really care about that it has is the cold weather package. I'm sure it'll come in handy the once or twice a year we make the trek to NY (if we don't take my wife's car) but it's not something I've ever really cared about, and I've had it on other cars.
8 speed is great, 21mpg and excellent towing and off road. Do not miss the manual (and I used to be a manual snob).
Rubicon maybe not worth it as I still managed to get it stuck :). Jk, love it but would get the sahara if I only did occasional off roading. It makes for a better DD, but I'd probably get the limited slip rear. Use the saved money on good tires and it will out wheel a stock rubicon.
The 8.4 uconnect and alpine stereo are great, android car play is a game changer for me as I can navigate with google maps or Waze and listen to spotify, all with voice commands. Google is excellent at voice recognition so I don't ever get into fights with the nav system. I've cursed out the no hearing bitch living in my wife's nav system a few times.
I prefer the leather seats as they're easier to clean and don't soak up water, though I would have been fine with cloth.
The all weather floor mats are great as they drain through the floor drain plugs so can be rinsed out without even taking them out.
I like the steel bumpers a lot, and price wise they're not much different to aftermarket and they have a cohesive look. I still haven't seen any aftermarket bumpers I really like, so would get them again.
I got the optional wheels, which I prefer and was one of the things that drew me to this particular jeep. Purely a looks thing.
Leds I still consider a must have, as they provide amazing visibility.
If you don't tow but plan to add electrical accessories, the tow package adds 4 pre wired aux switches that can be programmed to be momentary or toggle via the nav, so definitely worth getting if you do. I've towed close to two thousand miles so far, so obviously a must have for me.
I wanted the power soft top badly but did not want to wait, in retrospect this was wise as they're still not showing up. I plan to add one if/ when they become available from the dealer.
Love the painted flares with black top, the color coded top on white was too much white, needed some contrast. I feel the same about yellow and actually would have gotten yellow if it were available, but again didn't want to wait (also appears to be wise).
I have the safety package and I would have ordered it, but that's one of those things you don't care about until you really need it.
Remote start is great on a dd, especially with climate control. It gets hot here in the summer so being able to get the ac going before you get to the car is great, even if the cooling fan makes it sound like a plane on takeoff.
I would have ordered proximity entry, wife's car has it and I really like it, but alas it's one of the few options I didn't get.

My ideal jeep after driving this for a few months would be a jlur auto with 8.4 nav/alpine, leds, tow package, option wheels, leather, proximity entry&remote start, yellow or tan (not even on the radar for 19s) with body colored flares, power top, all weather mats, steel bumpers, safety package. Unfortunately I don't know that you can, or ever could, actually order one, let alone get it built. Mine is close enough that I'm happy. No issues with the steering, and I like the gas savings ESS gives me. I get annoyed when it stays running at stop lights and I see the average mpg drop a tenth or two. Only issue is the rear tailgate squeaking, but pretty sure I just need to clean the back glass seal.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just figure out what options add value to YOU. I can just push a button on the fob, so proximity package added no value to ME. For others it’s a must have.
Living in TN, I really didn’t need the cold weather package, but I get a stiff back sometimes and it’s like having a built in heating pad. So I ordered it.
I pretty much got everything on a black top/fender Rubi except safety and proximity. The factory offers nothing more that I want, and I don’t have options that I’ll never use. It’s MY Jeep :)

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Not bringing anything new, just an opinion: must haves are LEDs, 8.4, leather, hard top and upgraded stereo. The rest are fun and I find use for all of the extras I frivolously asked for.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously though.... why would anyone buy the smokers package? A cigarette lighter and an ash tray that fits the cup holder....5-6 bucks worth at best.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Seriously though.... why would anyone buy the smokers package? A cigarette lighter and an ash tray that fits the cup holder....5-6 bucks worth at best.
I honestly didn’t know they still offered that. Wasn’t that done away with in the 80s?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
While I'd suggest you check the Ordering and Pricing section of the forum, many of us, myself included, got 5% off invoice by making factory orders. If you are willing to wait you'll not only save money, but potentially not have to pay for features on dealer inventory you don't want or do without those features you do want, that aren't easily upgradable after purchase on a rig that's part of a dealer's inventory.

Best of luck; safe trails!
Thanks for the advice! No, not a fan of the ESS, but will be turning off each time.

I’m curious how did you swing 5% off invoice on a factory order? I’m used to negotiating it down, but just curious.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly didn’t know they still offered that. Wasn’t that done away with in the 80s?
It’s on the configurator. Something like fifty bucks if I remember right. But all it is, is the heating element for the 12 volt port, and an ash tray you drop in your cup holder. That’s it. That’s an option I’d skip.... unless someone was building a fully loaded Jeep. That term has lost its meaning though. Most people think of highly loaded as fully loaded. To me it means it has EVERYTHING.

BobsRig

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SAHARA
The Sahara has a transfer case with a "full-time" AND "part-time" setting. Should be a great option for roads with snow and ice.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Thanks for the advice! No, not a fan of the ESS, but will be turning off each time.

I’m curious how did you swing 5% off invoice on a factory order? I’m used to negotiating it down, but just curious.
Hey David:

Quite a number of us, myself included, purchased Factory Ordered Wranglers from Koons Chrysler in Vienna, Virginia. Craig Benner was the salesman there handling such deals.

I bought in April and don't know if the offer remains. I don't think they were the only dealer offering 5% off invoice.

I think the Ordering and Pricing section of the forum is an excellent place to both read and ask specific questions on this, as I've been out of this loop for several months now in this subject area and things may have changed.

Some more fodder. As you may know, FCA offers discounts to dealers who move substantial quantities of their wares. So with these incentives, plus the fixed amount Koons charges in dealer fees, they make their fair share of profit.

Virtually everyone I read who went to Koons, myself included, found the experience extremely flawless, had zero regrets, and would do it again.

Coming from the NY Metro area I took Amtrak to DC, and the DC Metro to Vienna, VA, a suburb of DC. You can walk (or cab it if you prefer) to the dealer from the DC Metro station. I assure you, as Craig showed me a map of the US, people have purchased from him from places far further away than your Chi town, also readily accessible to Amtrak.

It was a great way to travel. Unlike renting a car my time was my own. Just bring the AC adapter for your tech to plug in. No USB ports yet on Amtrak.

I think he (Craig at Koons) also offers, of course for fee, Wrangler delivery service.

Factory orders can take anywhere from a few weeks to, well, some people on the Ordering and Pricing forum may share with you their medication cocktails to still manage to get through the wait. It's a product of not simply features that may be backlogged, but factors I'm not even sure FCA could explain. Mine took about 6 weeks if I remember.

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
tow package is cheaper than adding it later

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Every option I have on my Rubicon is worth it because that's what (I) wanted.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Color choice = awesome! Test rode an all body color Naco Rubi at the Denver auto show LOVED that color, the yella and mojito would be up the top few as well. But, i love grey so Stingrey was a no brainer for me. Leather, i am neither here nor there. We test drove a bunch of JKs and a few JLs - while taste is subjective, i felt like the cloth seats were more comfortable. - try them both out. One diff I noticed w the leather on the JL is that the back seat has an armrest. I have made yes/no decisions on cars based on armrests... keep that one in mind when deciding. Other options, mine has the tow package, first one i test drove had the blind spot monitoring, my Tacoma had the blind spot stuff, got used to it, liked it a lot, if i were to build a JL from the ground up and the break point was a few $$$ i would get the blind spot monitoring over the tow package. - other than that i think you will be happy with whatever set of options you get!

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Sounds like you have about everything figured out that your wanting. After you get your Jeep, get a Tazer. It will allow you to turn off ESS, adjust TPMS and the speedometer if you install aftermarket tires. There is just so much that you’ll be able to do with it. Well worth the money.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Most of your must haves are what I would have suggested as must haves.

As for the maybes...

I skipped the steel bumper because I knew I wanted a different bumper style. If you like the look of the steel and don't think you will replace it, it gives you options to add on things like a winch, bull bar, lighting, etc later on (if that interests you).

I wish I had bought the tow package. I don't tow anything so I didn't bother, but in opting out, I missed out on the AUX switches being already wired/programmed in and the upgraded alternator and battery.

I love leather because it is easier to clean and holds up better. My Grand Cherokee was 17 years old and still had nearly perfect leather when I sold it.

I am biased towards the Rubicon because I like the look of the hood and the red stitching on the seats and the red dash (which I don't think comes in the yellow anyway). There are obviously offroad features that make it beneficial, but if a Rubicon and Sahara would equally suit those needs for you, go for what is more aesthetically pleasing to you. The price difference between the two is really insignificant, but changing some of those features later would not necessarily be an inexpensive choice.
I also skipped the steel bumper for the same reason. My "only" (yeah, right) problem now is, I'm having difficulty settling on one I like (waaaaayyyy too many to choose from). I know I want a bull bar & a winch, but... decisions, decisions... Some would consider this to be a good problem.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I also skipped the steel bumper for the same reason. My "only" (yeah, right) problem now is, I'm having difficulty settling on one I like (waaaaayyyy too many to choose from). I know I want a bull bar & a winch, but... decisions, decisions... Some would consider this to be a good problem.
You want the LOD Destroyer so you can be cool like me. Plus the matching rear bumper with the tire carrier is awesome.
Sponsored