Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
One question is the first picture the passenger or driver side? thanks!
The bracket is on the driver’s side. Both shots are of the same side, the second one is from below.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
When does the NHTSA get involved? After how many complaints?
Have to wonder if a weld failure such as the OP’s happened in Canada if that would force a recall to at least inspect the welds. Just thinking Canadian regulators might be more strict on these matters.

Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a yellow or green mark on the bracket? Looks like it was inspected and passed or was repaired?
It looks yellow. I don't know what it represents, looks like a line across. What can it mean? The plot thickens...

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another quick update....

Had the Jeep towed to TriCity Dodge Jeep. Roadside Assistance wouldn't cover the entire cost of towing because there were closer dealers. However, TriCity cut me a check for the extra cost.

Before I settled up with the tow truck company, the general manager, service manager, sales manager, and a couple techs were looking at the Jeep. Luckily for me, the engineer from Tower was there and he spoke with me for a short time.

He said "your Jeep is the only one affected by the poor weld at the track bar. We have looked at the VINs around your build and you are the only one affected."

I told him I knew of at least one othe person who has had his track bar shear off. He then acknowledged that he's aware of other instances.

He then told me that he would have my Jeep repaired very soon. When I asked about other welds, he said he'd check them while it was on the lift.

When I said, "I'm not sure I'm ok with just your opinion on the welds...after all, your quality control is awful...so I will need to speak to my case manager." He replied with "I'm doing what FCA has told me to do."

He also mentioned that the frames are galvanized and are a "beast to weld". I asked about the rust on the welds and he said it's not rust but something (I can't remember what he said) leaching out of the welds.

Unfortunately, the story that my Jeep is "the only one affected" and FCA's plan to repair it (cheapest and easiest fix) doesn't sit well with me. Once the engineer relays his findings to my case manager, I will be escalating the issue.

On a more positive note, I received a phone call from a representative with DOT/NHTSA regarding my complaint. He wants to speak with me in more detail. I was with the engineer from FCA when I received the phone call. I returned his call this afternoon but had to leave a message. Hopefully, I'll be able to speak with him today or tomorrow.

Maybe my pictures, videos, and information provided will prompt NHTSA to act and make FCA get their act together.

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Good Luck! Great news NHTSA actually contacted you already must be taking this seriously I am sure they are monitoring the rising number of safety issues and complaints. Do you also have the steering issue?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Another quick update....

Had the Jeep towed to TriCity Dodge Jeep. Roadside Assistance wouldn't cover the entire cost of towing because there were closer dealers. However, TriCity cut me a check for the extra cost.

Before I settled up with the tow truck company, the general manager, service manager, sales manager, and a couple techs were looking at the Jeep. Luckily for me, the engineer from Tower was there and he spoke with me for a short time.

He said "your Jeep is the only one affected by the poor weld at the track bar. We have looked at the VINs around your build and you are the only one affected."

I told him I knew of at least one othe person who has had his track bar shear off. He then acknowledged that he's aware of other instances.

He then told me that he would have my Jeep repaired very soon. When I asked about other welds, he said he'd check them while it was on the lift.

When I said, "I'm not sure I'm ok with just your opinion on the welds...after all, your quality control is awful...so I will need to speak to my case manager." He replied with "I'm doing what FCA has told me to do."

He also mentioned that the frames are galvanized and are a "beast to weld". I asked about the rust on the welds and he said it's not rust but something (I can't remember what he said) leaching out of the welds.

Unfortunately, the story that my Jeep is "the only one affected" and FCA's plan to repair it (cheapest and easiest fix) doesn't sit well with me. Once the engineer relays his findings to my case manager, I will be escalating the issue.

On a more positive note, I received a phone call from a representative with DOT/NHTSA regarding my complaint. He wants to speak with me in more detail. I was with the engineer from FCA when I received the phone call. I returned his call this afternoon but had to leave a message. Hopefully, I'll be able to speak with him today or tomorrow.

Maybe my pictures, videos, and information provided will prompt NHTSA to act and make FCA get their act together.
so the engineer knows of other instances, so FCA must know too. What are they waiting for? They need to do a recall STAT. Sounds to me like they want to fix yours and keep it hush-hush.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another update...

I just got off a 20 minute phone call with a rep from NHTSA. Thankfully, the gentleman that I spoke to is taking my issue seriously. He told me that I am the first person to report a track bar mount failure to NHTSA.

I know @rboss had his shear off but apparently it wasn't reported to NHTSA. @rboss, if you're reading this, I implore you to file a complaint as well.

The gentleman I spoke to was aware of this thread, my pictures, and my video before he spoke to me. He is also aware of the incident in April with @rboss but can't do anything about that because a complaint wasn't filed.

I know I'm repeating myself but NHTSA is taking this seriously and will be speaking with FCA soon. They obviously are concerned about the safety of us as well as everyone else on the road.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
so the engineer knows of other instances, so FCA must know too. What are they waiting for? They need to do a recall STAT. Sounds to me like they want to fix yours and keep it hush-hush.
I can't comment directly on that because it's speculation on my part. I will say, I'm hearing that it's related to frames built in November and I'm not the only one with the track bar issue. I don't know how many are affected or what has been done or is being done by FCA.

It's entirely possible that there was a known issue with a batch of frames and they were quarantined. Maybe, my frame was missed by the quarantine or it slipped out of quarantine.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't comment directly on that because it's speculation on my part. I will say, I'm hearing that it's related to frames built in November and I'm not the only one with the track bar issue. I don't know how many are affected or what has been done or is being done by FCA.

It's entirely possible that there was a known issue with a batch of frames and they were quarantined. Maybe, my frame was missed by the quarantine or it slipped out of quarantine.
Well I hope do for everybody’s sake. Thank goodness you are alive and well to share your experience

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
Another update...

I just got off a 20 minute phone call with a rep from NHTSA. Thankfully, the gentleman that I spoke to is taking my issue seriously. He told me that I am the first person to report a track bar mount failure to NHTSA.

I know @rboss had his shear off but apparently it wasn't reported to NHTSA. @rboss, if you're reading this, I implore you to file a complaint as well.

The gentleman I spoke to was aware of this thread, my pictures, and my video before he spoke to me. He is also aware of the incident in April with @rboss but can't do anything about that because a complaint wasn't filed.

I know I'm repeating myself but NHTSA is taking this seriously and will be speaking with FCA soon. They obviously are concerned about the safety of us as well as everyone else on the road.
Glad to hear someone has noticed. It will only get resolved if those with issues speak up. You’re very fortunate to be able to write about your experience at all. Count your blessings.

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Send rboss a private message and ask him to file a report.
Sponsored