Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Man these guys beat these Jl's up. Banging soft top plastic rail into it like 10 times lol.

I like how fast the soft top is now and I have seen another video where they took just a few more seconds and folded the entire top down where you could see out the back. From that video it looked like it almost sat flush with the gate.

I may have to order my JT with dual tops.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Oh crud look at the guys head in the hard top video, his head is hitting sport bar and the bump of death on the sport bar...

I hope he is like 6' 8.... not looking good for tall guys otherwise

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Oh crud look at the guys head in the hard top video, his head is hitting sport bar and the bump of death on the sport bar...

I hope he is like 6' 8.... not looking good for tall guys otherwise
Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ and just sat in a JL Sahara at the Fort Worth Auto Show. Wish they had the freedom tops on because I feel like Iā€™m only going to have an inch at the most above me....

4C383600-9BC4-48BC-A3FD-953DB307EB05.jpeg

448177DE-85BB-4A43-BDC5-6D549FD6A25B.jpeg

Sponsored

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So, I havenā€™t seen anything on this, but is this an either/or situation with the tops? The soft top appears to be on ā€œrailsā€ at the back.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So, I havenā€™t seen anything on this, but is this an either/or situation with the tops? The soft top appears to be on ā€œrailsā€ at the back.
I believe the soft top comes with rails that can then be removed when you switch to the hard top.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'd like to see the back of the JLU's hard top removed. I imagine that 20% lighter doesn't equate with 20% easier as it's still bulky, even if it weighs less than the JKU's hardtop's rear.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
No one ever that those damn windshield straps! lol

Also curious how secure the soft top is against thieves? Looks way to easy to pry open a corner to grab anything not locked up.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
No one ever that those damn windshield straps! lol

Also curious how secure the soft top is against thieves? Looks way to easy to pry open a corner to grab anything not locked up.
Do not expect your soft top to stop thieves. As a matter of fact, I always tried to leave mine unlocked to dissuade thieves from cutting it open.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ and just sat in a JL Sahara at the Fort Worth Auto Show. Wish they had the freedom tops on because I feel like Iā€™m only going to have an inch at the most above me....
Were you able to adjust seat ok to avoid the sportbar plastic? The JK was a no way buy for me, hoping I can squeeze into JL without risking skull base fractures on the hard plastic bump of doom

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Do not expect your soft top to stop thieves. As a matter of fact, I always tried to leave mine unlocked to dissuade thieves from cutting it open.
Yeah, of course not much anyone can do against an a-hole with a knife/razor. :bandit: Bolted down lock boxes is a must!

Years ago I had a YJ with the soft top and installed an alarm with a proximity sensor. I know those annoyed the hell out of people and wouldn't really do anything to stop anyone but made me feel better at the time. At least the top couldn't easily be peeled up so those zippers weren't all bad. ;)

Don't need a knife to get through the JL soft top. JK you do! lol

Watching soft top demos in which you don't even have to open the side doors to remove the soft top rear panels. That's a bit worrying. I assumed there would be a lip that goes under the door that locks onto the rear sections to prevent from peeling away easily, nope!

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Were you able to adjust seat ok to avoid the sportbar plastic? The JK was a no way buy for me, hoping I can squeeze into JL without risking skull base fractures on the hard plastic bump of doom
Yea I didnā€™t even notice the bar issue until I intentionally laid my head all the way back. It really only bumped into the top inch of the back of my head when I purposely did it. So unless you get rear ended you should be good (But no headrest is tall enough to support my head/neck either).
Sponsored