UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Prior to this evening, I have had 1300 trouble free miles out of my JLUR. However, when I was merging on to the highway, the engine bogged, the Service Elctronic Stability Control light came on, my steering wheel suddenly had to be at a 45 degree angle from center to drive straight and the ABS started kicking in if I touched the brakes.

Needless to say, it was an extremely intense situation and I'm very fortunate I didn't wreck and that my 3 daughters were not in the Jeep with me.

Pardon the god awful commentary. :facepalm:

@JeepCares

@Kevin8086

IMG_9716.JPG

***EDIT TO ADD 8/12/18***

I'm attaching additional pictures and another video to the first post so that it's easy to find and reference.

IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9727.JPG

IMG_9728.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
Prior to this evening, I have had 1300 trouble free miles out of my JLUR. However, when I was merging on to the highway, the engine bogged, the Service Elctronic Stability Control light came on, my steering wheel suddenly had to be at a 45 degree angle from center to drive straight and the ABS started kicking in if I touched the brakes.

Needless to say, it was an extremely intense situation and I'm very fortunate I didn't wreck and that my 3 daughters were not in the Jeep with me.

Pardon the god awful commentary. :facepalm:

@JeepCares

@Kevin8086

IMG_9716.JPG
Wow. Thatā€™s scary. I would have pulled over immediately and had it towed to the dealer. Youā€™re lucky to not have been hurt.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This seems like it might be related to the intermediate shaft recall causing the steering wheel to be off center unless there is mechanical failure in the steering gear box or drag link.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ermediate-shaft-on-certain-jl-wranglers.9783/
After seeing that, I was hoping my VIN would be one of those effected; however, there are no outstanding recalls. I'll be having my dealer tow the Jeep in first thing Monday morning. I was lucky to be able to limp home tonight. If I would have needed to make an emergency maneuver, I doubt I would have been able to.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
After seeing that, I was hoping my VIN would be one of those effected; however, there are no outstanding recalls. I'll be having my dealer tow the Jeep in first thing Monday morning. I was lucky to be able to limp home tonight. If I would have needed to make an emergency maneuver, I doubt I would have been able to.
Have you looked at the steering components underneath to see if anything looks damaged?

It could be the intermediate shaft is a wider problem than FCA claims.

Check your track bar mount. Maybe the weld failed.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-i-feel-like-iā€™m-cursed-with-my-new-jl.6979/

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I crawled under the Jeep this morning and found the track bar mount looking like this. I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to steering components but that doesn't look quite right.
That's not good!! Those welds are supposed to hold up under the demands of a lifetime of off -roading, not break simply after a couple thousand miles of street driving. Jeep needs to step up and address this issue now, before someone gets killed!!! Multiple people here have reported the same issue, so it's not an isolated incident. Please go to the NHTSA website and report what happened.

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I crawled under the Jeep this morning and found the track bar mount looking like this. I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to steering components but that doesn't look quite right.

IMG_9721.JPG
That looks like a failed component to me. You can see where it was once attached.
IMO - in addition to getting your dealer to fix it, you should also contact the NHTSA. It seems the whistle blowing welder that some on this site have questioned was indeed correct.
Youā€™re very lucky to not be hurt.

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IMG_9721.JPG
@JeepCares you probably will want to jump in here as this appears to be a very serious issue that should have corporate involvement IMO.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Please file a complaint with NHTSA. You might save a life as this is a very serious suspension/steering failure.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I donā€™t know how much noise you want to make (the squeaky wheel gets the oil), but you could also contact Jeep Informant on youtube. He does some great videos that address problems with the JL. He would be a good social media contact. Heā€™s in North Carolina.

https://m.youtube.com/user/brandonlaura99/videos

https://mobile.twitter.com/hanelinebrandon

https://m.facebook.com/brandon.hane...lt_id":1665170213,"module_result_position":0}

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Please file a complaint with NHTSA. You might save a life as this is a very serious suspension/steering failure.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I donā€™t know how much noise you want to make (the squeaky wheel gets the oil), but you could also contact Jeep Informant on youtube. He does some great videos that address problems with the JL. He would be a good social media contact.

https://m.youtube.com/user/brandonlaura99/videos
I'll be doing both. I know he's a member here. I tried to find his user name when I posted last night. I intended to tag him in the post. I'll just contact him through YouTube.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Oh man. Thatā€™s awful
Have you been reading the other threads about the bad welds?
You need to bring this to someoneā€™s attention ASAP!
Just curious if yours is an early build or later?
Iā€™ve been waiting to order a 2019 rubicon but the weld and steering issues have me scared.
I hope they address these issues soon.

OP
OP
UNC Rubicon

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man. Thatā€™s awful
Have you been reading the other threads about the bad welds?
You need to bring this to someoneā€™s attention ASAP!
Just curious if yours is an early build or later?
Iā€™ve been waiting to order a 2019 rubicon but the weld and steering issues have me scared.
I hope they address these issues soon.
I have been. Between the weld threads and the sheared track bar thread, it's honestly a shit show.

My jeep was built between 6/3 and 6/6. I don't know exact date at offhand.
Sponsored