Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Yay, a great "appearance package" option for the price of a Nissan Versa. Hell I'd just buy a stripped Rubicon and a Versa to commute in...
Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
The JK Moab wasn't built on a Rubicon platform either. It came standard with limited slip rear, D44/D30 combo and 2.72 transfer case. Metal bumpers, rock rails and a few other details.

Moab, Utah is the Jeep Mecca of the world and the "Moab" edition should be built on the Rubicon platform. I was thinking the same thing when JK Moab came out.
I think the JK Moab had locking rear dif., not front, only rear.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Can you buy Rubicon fron fenders for a Moab?...I can't stand how the lower sahara ones look.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I think the JK Moab had locking rear dif., not front, only rear.
It was an available option but I have looked at probably 100 of them and none of them had one. I searched half the country for a JK in the past year and might have bought a Moab if I could have found 1 with a rear locker.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I see you can order hood graphics for the MOAB. But since it comes with the Rubi hood they will not be the same as the ones you can buy now. I'm very interested to see what they are like!

Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
My initial thought was "that is a lot of money" but after reading the option list and pricing out a similarly equipped sahara I think this is a nice special edition for someone wanting a loaded special edition. I know that there is always a lot of hate for some of these special editions but they do give a unique factor and contrary to what everyone seems to think, Jeep does not seem to overcharge much for them and even discounts when putting all the options together.

for instance a sahara with the same options but without upgraded wheels/bumpers/rock rails/hood is just $2200 less (50,420)

steel bumpers alone are I think around 1200, so if you add in rock rails, wheels, hood then this seems to be more than worth it if the options are what you are looking for.

my only 2 gripes are the mud-terrain tires (not a big fan and one of my favorite changes on the JL Rubicon is the BFG ATs) and lack of MT (it would probably price out around 48,600 with MT)

Frankly, if it came in a manual and with AT tires and possibly 4:10 gearing then I would have strongly considered it

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I wonder if a dealer would swap the tires to All Terrain at a discount...if they kept the mud terrain?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Did previous Moab editions have some sort of signature interior design features, like unique leathers seats or dash or something? I find it odd that a towing package option isn’t listed as available for this model For the price it is t a bad value if it’s what you want. I mostly like it.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did previous Moab editions have some sort of signature interior design features, like unique leathers seats or dash or something? I find it odd that a towing package option isn’t listed as available for this model For the price it is t a bad value if it’s what you want. I mostly like it.
Seems pretty similar to the new one: https://www.netcarshow.com/jeep/2013-wrangler_unlimited_moab/

There were some unique interior flourishes: "Interior modifications include black or saddle premium leather seating with black stitching on the newly-designed 2013 Wrangler seats, "Moab" embossed instrument panel grab handle, Mopar slush mats and Iron Gray trim on the vent rings, grab handles and steering wheel spokes."

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not quite sure what the appeal of this special edition is? It's more money and less capable than the Rubicon.
I think it's because for some of us it looks more rugged than the sahara, but not totally a rubicon style or capability as some don't plan on off-roading a lot, thereby needing the rubicon.

For me the appeal is this (my observations):

- I dont need the Rubicon and hefty capabilities of it (altho lovely and useful)

- I'm not feeling the total "offroad look" of the rubi since most of my traveling is city driving...so this affects how it drives, rides and other "city amenities" id be missing from a Sahara or Sport.

- The Moab is a nice mix imo, because it's a hybrid between the Sahara and Rubicon and the Sport. I like the "sleeker, refined interior and look" of the Sahara, but as another poster mentioned, I hate the silver trim thing they got going on. Imo it's out of place for a wrangler... silver/chrome...not my thing for any wrangler, as I have a "nostalgic view" of how "Wranglers" are "supposed to be". If I wanted silver trim and chrome on a Jeep, I'd get a Grand Cherokee. Again, this is MY view and it is purely relative (Disclaimer: I'm not saying my view is right, just that it is my preference).

So this Moab has the blacked-out Look from the Sport, combined with the sleekness of the Sahara (interior as well) mixed with some rugged beastly elements of the Rubicon....all in one Jeep.

Yes a person could mod their Sahara into this Moab, but some people may not want to take the time to do it and there you have it. A Moab is born.

I'm excited to see them. Hope someone in my city gets one! I will be snapping photos!!!

Hehe :)

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So here’s what I can deduce from this surprise announcement.
  • We’re gonna have to call this a RubiHara, naturally.
  • We now have proof of what caused the rail yard fires. The hybrid batteries theory was a red herring to throw us of the real culprit: hot, illicit Rubicon on Sahara action out behind the parts bin that was intense enough to ignite nearby innocent Jeeps into bursting into flames. The proof? Months later we are gifted with this baby that is clearly the product of inter-trim level fornication. Has it’s dad’s looks and it’s mother’s heart.
  • Rather than terminating early, Jeep decided to let it go full term and profit.
  • Jeep can tell us this is a 2018 model if they want, but clearly it’s a 2019.
  • Which leads me to this thought - Hella Yella and Nacho are conspicuously absent from the list of available colors and there are two new colors for 2019. Now we know which colors are staying and which are leaving in 2019.
ROFLLL!!!! Love this!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

- I'm not feeling the total "offroad look" of the rubi since most of my traveling is city driving...so this affects how it drives, rides and other "city amenities" id be missing from a Sahara or Sport.
Hehe :)
im not sure how the Rubi looks more offroad. the Moab has MT tires which make give it a more off road "look" than the rubi, imo. other than the tires, they pretty much look the same, except for the fenders which arent that noticeable imo.

im sure Jeep got a smoking deal on 50,000 of those MT tires as theyre the exact same size as the outgoing rubi tires.

as mentioned, this is basically a hybrid parts bin special. call it a Saharacon, as in you are getting conned into buying this over a rubicon lol

i guess this would be good if you want a more rugged looking sahara. the hood and tires really. you can buy those tires on CL all day long for cheap, and then just buy a hood and side rails. but if you want it turn key, here you go.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
im not sure how the Rubi looks more offroad. the Moab has MT tires which make give it a more off road "look" than the rubi, imo. other than the tires, they pretty much look the same, except for the fenders which arent that noticeable imo.

im sure Jeep got a smoking deal on 50,000 of those MT tires as theyre the exact same size as the outgoing rubi tires.

as mentioned, this is basically a hybrid parts bin special. call it a Saharacon, as in you are getting conned into buying this over a rubicon lol

i guess this would be good if you want a more rugged looking sahara. the hood and tires really. you can buy those tires on CL all day long for cheap, and then just buy a hood and side rails. but if you want it turn key, here you go.
Lol! Well, I like my sport and I'm happy with it...but i still dont see the problem with this Moab? As I mentioned not everyone wants to mod-out their ride. A lot of people like convenience...and liking and combining parts from different wranglers is okay imo. Like, im not spending the money on it and if someone else wants to, than great for them.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this special edition Moab/Saharacon or whatever people want to call it.

Most people mod their jeeps and after they are done, it's essentially a "hybrid parts bin special"...as intended lol. So, still don't see the problem with this?

My sport currently has molded running boards (that come stock with the Sahara) and I'm about to get a Rubicon 3-piece steel bumper installed.

So I like my "hybrid parts bin special" :)

And my choice to mod my Jeep shouldn't annoy or offend anyone since it's my Jeep and my money.

The same should apply with this Moab. I'm not stressing about it and I can't wait to see folks driving around in it.
Sponsored

Last edited: