Sponsored

My JlU Rubicon keeps throwing rocks on to itself. Fender protection?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
After A WEEKEND IN THE DESERT/SMALL ROCKS/SAND AND desert dust--

I washed down the RUBY(no pressure or soap), and did a full CARNUBA wax job-

There is no visable damage to anything, but--please remember, because of horses(MUSTANGS/CACA, I stay at 15/20 mph--

The PARACORD keeps all the pebbles/sand outta the fenders and just using a garden hose cleaned everything --

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
How did the 3m film work for you ? Did you have ACCU TINT do it in Goodlettsville TN ? I had Lucas there do my truck and 4 wheeler . When I get my Rubicon I plan on having it done.
So my Jeep arrived with film on one rear fender, but not the other. I ordered 3M film from Amazon and applied it myself to the other fender and the leading edge of the hinges. The fender has a couple little wrinkles where I pressed too hard to get bubbles out, but looks really good overall and is holding up great.

dragonslayer

First Name
kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 nissan juke
Vehicle Showcase
First thing i did was yank and replace the rails on my rubi with mopar running boards. i live up north and got mine in january. nothing worse than grabbing ice and slushed over handles to get in! got old REAL quick! additionally, they also curbed rock slinging. Anyone wanna but some rock rails on the cheap? :idea: :blush::giggle:

Jibba

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
< 3,000 miles (maybe 25 miles on gravel roads). My rear painted fenders look like crap. The film that comes from the factory looks like crap and doesn’t provide full coverage. Haven’t had this problem with previous Jeeps. I think the tires are just bad about picking up rocks. Wish I would have got black fenders. Also glad it’s a lease so it will ultimately be someone else’s problem.

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
The stock Rubicon tires are the same ones that Dodge put on my 07 Ram 2500. Kicking up rocks is one of the disadvantages of that tire. I did run them for 8 1/2 years (2 sets) on south central Alaska roads year round though. They worked well enough all round I never bothered with dedicated winter tires. Only reason I switched was I got a great deal on the Toyo’s I put on last. I can’t wait to get my Rubicon.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
The stock Rubicon tires are the same ones that Dodge put on my 07 Ram 2500. Kicking up rocks is one of the disadvantages of that tire. I did run them for 8 1/2 years (2 sets) on south central Alaska roads year round though. They worked well enough all round I never bothered with dedicated winter tires. Only reason I switched was I got a great deal on the Toyo’s I put on last. I can’t wait to get my Rubicon.
This is . . . curious. The stock Rubicon tires are BF Goodrich KO2's. The KO2's were released in 2014. So are you saying you got replacement tires for your '07 Ram 2500 from the dealer and the dealer put on KO2's? Because they couldn't have been stock from Dodge on an '07 model.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Yeah, it was on there when I picked her up-

So far it does a great job and the PARACORD keeps me from having to "PICK" little critters outta the cracks-

W.E.

JIMBO
Thanks for the info Jimbo !

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Yes sir-

Good day

JIMBO

ddlang

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have rock damage on my rear fenders and also paint is chipped. Front tires are throwing back the rocks. I feel it is a engineering flaw and should not look this way.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I have rock damage on my rear fenders and also paint is chipped. Front tires are throwing back the rocks. I feel it is a engineering flaw and should not look this way.
Engineering flaw? Umm, no. It happens on any vehicle that has rear painted surfaces that stick out past the flat doors, just the way it is. If you want to blame anyone, blame the federal goverment (think it was EPA) who years ago passed a law that mandated auto paint changes. The paint that is used nowadays is so damn soft that it can't not chip. It's the same on every single vehicle manufacturer. I had a Cadillac CTS-V that had wide rear fender flares becuse the rear tires were wider, you should have seen the rockers and the flare at the back of the rear door. It looked like snow flakes on my black paint there were so many damn chips.

All you can do is paint protect them, that's all you can do. There is no "flaw".

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
OR, change to street tires !

W.E.

JIMBO

ddlang

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Engineering flaw? Umm, no. It happens on any vehicle that has rear painted surfaces that stick out past the flat doors, just the way it is. If you want to blame anyone, blame the federal goverment (think it was EPA) who years ago passed a law that mandated auto paint changes. The paint that is used nowadays is so damn soft that it can't not chip. It's the same on every single vehicle manufacturer. I had a Cadillac CTS-V that had wide rear fender flares becuse the rear tires were wider, you should have seen the rockers and the flare at the back of the rear door. It looked like snow flakes on my black paint there were so many damn chips.

All you can do is paint protect them, that's all you can do. There is no "flaw".

ddlang

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The fenders are not painted, I have attached a picture.

image.jpg

ddlang

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I feel it is a engineering flaw since the composite of the material used is softer that the jk. I have had two other Wranglers that did not dents and damage like my Jl. They did have mudd tires on them. Purchased the Rubicon so I would not have to change out tires.
Sponsored