Sponsored

To BSG, or Not To BSG

To BSG, or Not To BSG: Are you going to get a BSG (eTorque) equipped Wrangler?

• Total voters

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
That is the question.

Supposedly the 3.6L BSG (eTorque technology) is coming in MY2019. Are you waiting for it or are you going to get the 2018 to avoid it?

I know we don't have much information on it yet, but which way are you leaning? You can always change your vote later if you change your mind.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm leaning against right now. Too new and too many things to go wrong. Cars are getting too complex with all these hybrid systems.

But I haven't fully made up my mind.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
What the heck is BSG?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I am waiting to go the Pentastar + BSG route unless there are issues that are uncovered in the 2.0T implementation.

I hate ESS so much (but unfortunatrly do have some traffic with my Wrangler as DD), and the possible instant on torque on the hills might be very attractive if it is shown to work well in the Wrangler on the 2.0 platform.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Did we find out where the BSG battery will be?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
This is new information to me. Happy news! :) I would definitely get the BSG Pentastar. The early reviews mention how the BSG on the 2L turbo helps minimize the turbo lag and gets the Jeep moving quickly. I think BSG + the Pentastar will be a great combination to increase low-end torque (assuming reliability is there).

The only other drive train I am really curious about is the plug in Hybrid. But I'm OK with a mild hybrid (BSG). Then I don't have to plug in.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Jimbobcooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06 and WRX
That is the question.

Supposedly the 3.6L BSG (eTorque technology) is coming in MY2019. Are you waiting for it or are you going to get the 2018 to avoid it?

I know we don't have much information on it yet, but which way are you leaning? You can always change your vote later if you change your mind.
What’s the point of BSG for the 3.6 when the diesel will be coming out the same year and will most likely have more torque than the BSG?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
What’s the point of BSG for the 3.6 when the diesel will be coming out the same year and will most likely have more torque than the BSG?
Some of us don't want diesel for variety of reasons. Higher cost (although we don't yet know the diesel cost vs. the BSG Pentastar), higher maintenance than a gas engine. I can't buy diesel at my local Costco, where fuel is a lot less expensive than at other gas stations.

Jimbobcooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06 and WRX
Some of us don't want diesel for variety of reasons. Higher cost (although we don't yet know the diesel cost vs. the BSG Pentastar), higher maintenance than a gas engine. I can't buy diesel at my local Costco, where fuel is a lot less expensive than at other gas stations.
I definitely think it’s an interesting technology that has a lot of upside, but it’s also way more complicated than a simple NA gas engine or diesel engine. I would be worried about long term reliability and maintenance that’s all.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely think it’s an interesting technology that has a lot of upside, but it’s also way more complicated than a simple NA gas engine or diesel engine. I would be worried about long term reliability and maintenance that’s all.
Well as the BSG and 48V battery aren’t essential to the operation of the Wrangler and only act as an assisting technology, their failure wouldn’t keep you stranded on the trail it would simply disable the BSG and ESS component.

Mainly the upside isn’t countered by a large downside, and it’s not like diesels don’t have to deal with their own assistive technologies in DPF and DEF, so I’m not sure diesel would be a solution for avoiding those complexity & maintenance concerns.
Sponsored