First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
My understanding was that the key FOB had to be in the Jeep with you in order to start the vehicle. Last night mine was in the house while I was installing the soft top from the day. I needed to roll up the windows and was going to see if it would go to ACC without the key. Just out of habit, I pushed the break and it started! I don't think that its supposed to do that.... Anyone have any incite to this?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds odd, my understanding was the FOB was supposed to be within 6’ of the vehicle to start.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JCM32

See if you can repeat this occurrence. No, not reported here an issue with this, like you saw. Perhaps your fob was close enough to be read by the JL. We do not know exactly... for sure that fob cannot be read at a greater distance then say 6'.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My understanding was that the key FOB had to be in the Jeep with you in order to start the vehicle. Last night mine was in the house while I was installing the soft top from the day. I needed to roll up the windows and was going to see if it would go to ACC without the key. Just out of habit, I pushed the break and it started! I don't think that its supposed to do that.... Anyone have any incite to this?
Be sure and post your exact home and work address, where we can rule out any geographic issues! :)

OP
OP
JCM32

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
That was what I thought as well. I will do some testing and report back.

@BillG nice try! lol but that was my first thought last night. I am in bed at night and someone just starts my jeep and leaves...

Sponsored

CoughenPower

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My jeep started while my fob was in the house and the jeep in the driveway. At least 25' away. This is really concerning to me. Is there some sort of setting I need to change. Have you had this issue again with your jeep?

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Remote start

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My jeep started while my fob was in the house and the jeep in the driveway. At least 25' away. This is really concerning to me. Is there some sort of setting I need to change. Have you had this issue again with your jeep?
Hello CoughenPower,
If you believe that your fob is not operating as designed, we kindly suggest reaching out to your servicing dealer as they have the appropriate tools to assist you. If you decide to go this route and need any additional assistance, please know our team is available.
Laura
JeepCares

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Remote start
Remote start actually has nothing to do with the vehicle requiring the fob for normal push button start. Remote start should work, in optimal conditions, from up to 65 feet away from the vehicle. For push button start, I've found that my fob has to be inside the vehicle.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I keep my main Fob in my Laundry room which is next to the garage and the second set in my home safe. There’s also threads on here where low life thieves can clone your Fob signals while the Fob’s in your house. I bought 3 inexpensive Faraday bags from Amazon. One for each set and I leave one on the counter in case I forget, I don’t have to go back down to the laundry room. You have to be vigilant in the city. They’ll steal your shoes if you fell asleep on a park bench.
P.S. they work. I’ve tried my Fob in bag-in pocket and the Jeep tells you the Fob is needed.

9352F3BB-8FBB-43EF-BB32-D1714546D1A7.jpeg

A59A974F-2DCA-4D73-961D-CFA3638F35C5.jpeg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a Base Sport, manual locks and windows ; could I hide the Fob in the JL, just have the key for unlocking.? Not worried about theft, because who would know, and rural..Would this deplete the Fob battery sooner ?
Oops, just realised if stolen, insurance " keys left in ignition " clause, Fob would count as that..
Guess I'll just have to deal with the list to starboard from carrying the damn thing..
Sponsored