Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, dumb question:
Does anyone know the difference between the "Upgraded Alternator" in the towing package and the "standard Alternator"? Just curious. If it's something like 100amps, I probably wouldn't opt for Towing package because I don't tow things. if it's something like 100 vs. 300... that's a little different. I looked all over and didn't find any specific numbers.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubiSc0tt

The Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package is probably one of the packages most guys here that bought Rubicon's without it, wish they had ordered their Rubi with it.

For what you pay for it, it really is worth the $. Do your homework and my guess is you will order your Rubi with it.

I almost want to say you would be foolish not to order the package..

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
The upgraded one is 240A vs 200A standard. Not a big difference, but there’s a lot of value elsewhere in the Towing package.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
If you never ever tow things, and never plan to tow things - parts of the tow package will be useless.

what ISN'T useless (if you never tow) are the aux switches and wiring; the tow package gives you 4 aux switches in the dash, that power 2ea 40a circuits and 2ea 15a circuits. The really nice thing is the circuits are both inside the cab (under the passenger dash) and in the engine compartment. This lets you easily get power to any accessories - such as light bars, etc.

Even if I wasn't ever going to tow, I'd get the package just for that. I ran a 40a circuit to the back of the Jeep and it currently powers two LED strips in the back (for lighting, it's dark back there with the Vector shelf) and my ham radio. I leave the switch on unless I'm leaving the vehicle for an extended period - so it's the same as an always-on switch (configurable through the radio)

if you want my opinion - the tow pkg is worth it for the aux install alone. being wired for 4/7 pin connectors and easily able to add a brake controller just-in-case I ever need to tow is a bonus.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RisingEagle

Yes, agree with what you said..

Also, in regard to the trailer hitch and trailer wiring.. It is nice for use with a Hitch Haul cargo carrier, a bicycle rack, tow ring, etc., and of course for towing a trailer.

Another nice thing about having the trailer wiring back there on a JL, is that you can very very easily tap into the b/u wire on the 7 pin harness. Reality is the b/u lights on the JL (even if they have LED package) suck big time... so, being able to tap in and easily add supplemental LED b/u lights is a big plus in itself.

So, if you take the Aux switches, the bigger battery and alternator and all else said, the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package is well worth the $. As for @RubiSc0tt , he lives in Upstate NY where a little more battery cranking power and an upgraded alternator can be put to use in the Winter..

Sponsored

Rubicam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Have to agree on all points.

A lot can change in the years you own the JL. Adding any of the tow package items later is a pain (and additional $$) and it's money very well spent at the time of purchase and rolled into your monthly payments.

Will also really help with resale.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks for the input. My main concern was an upgraded electrical package to run a 10k lb winch. I don't want/need LED Lightbars (would rather spend money elsewhere). A couple aux pods or something would probably be the max I need. Other than that, a power inverter for maybe charging laptops or cameras/ phones? I really don't know. My electrical needs are pretty basic coming from a TJ, and I always wire my CB directly to an "always powered" circuit, just in case. The switches sound useful, but again, I'm really not sure what I would use them for; a hitch mounted bike or cargo rack or something like that could be useful. Overall, it sounds like it's mildly worth it.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@RisingEagle

Yes, agree with what you said..

Also, in regard to the trailer hitch and trailer wiring.. It is nice for use with a Hitch Haul cargo carrier, a bicycle rack, tow ring, etc., and of course for towing a trailer.

Another nice thing about having the trailer wiring back there on a JL, is that you can very very easily tap into the b/u wire on the 7 pin harness. Reality is the b/u lights on the JL (even if they have LED package) suck big time... so, being able to tap in and easily add supplemental LED b/u lights is a big plus in itself.

So, if you take the Aux switches, the bigger battery and alternator and all else said, the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package is well worth the $. As for @RubiSc0tt , he lives in Upstate NY where a little more battery cranking power and an upgraded alternator can be put to use in the Winter..

I am getting a rubicon and I questioned whether to get the towing package. I have nothing to tow, but probably a good idea because you never know. keep my vehicles a long time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting a rubicon and I questioned whether to get the towing package. I have nothing to tow, but probably a good idea because you never know. keep my vehicles a long time.
@LLRubylady

I strongly encourage you to get the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Package. For the $ it is $ well spent. I think @RubiSc0tt is missing the point so to speak.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not missing the point- I agree the package is worth the money- I just don't know what I would use it for yet.

My use case is seems to be different from most here: The Jeep would be daily driven, used for going snowboarding, taking my family camping and to the beach on vacation, with the capability for difficult, technical trails. I have no reason to tow anything other than MAYBE a trail trailer, and coming from a TJ, with all the tricks I've learned with space optimization for gear, I doubt I'll ever need one for that. : I don't want boats or jet skis, I camp in tents or get a cabin/hotel,- they just aren't my thing. I have one expensive hobby and it has a seven slat grille. I have no use for ridiculously oversized LED Lightbars and all the millions of LED light pods people seem to think are necessary- i'd rather spend the money on things that would get me farther down the trail, or save the money. I'd be keeping the vehicle for at least 10 years and over that time period average 120k+ mi on most of my vehicles. .

Like I said, I'm sure I would figure out some use for it- it seems worth it.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OK, so hypothetical question: Could I potentially wire up one of the Aux switches to be either A). an interrupt switch for a winch (Kills all power if the circuit gets stuck and the cable won't stop spooling in), and/ or B). a winch spool in/ out switch? Again, coming from a TJ so I'm not really sure on the capability of integrated electronics. My current winch was made in ~2003-04 and has a cable controller you plug into the solenoid pack. I only know that it draws a ton of amps on the battery and I bolted it directly to my optima.

I told you all I would eventually figure out some use for them. hahaha
Sponsored