Sponsored

Question about Wiring Mopar 5" LED Light Kit to Aux

Can I splice the wires from both lights into a single AUX switch? Or should I separate them each to

• Total voters

mtnblur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4-Door (JLUR)
Hello,

I am wiring up the MOPAR 5" Light Kit to my Jeep JL Rubicon with the AUX switch. This is the first time I am doing automative electrical wiring and just wanted to check that I was doing it correctly before proceeding.

1) I am going to disconnect the Negative Terminal of the battery by using a socket wrench to disconnect the battery terminal connection.

2) I am going to route the included wiring kit through the engine compartment and secure it using zip ties.

3) I am going to connect the ground wire to the ground posts on the side of the engine compartment (not the negative terminal of the battery.) There are two ground posts on the side of the engine compartment.

Q: Can I connect both ground wires to a single post or should I separate them?

4) I am going then splice the light wires into Aux 3 and Aux 4 using a solder less, weather heat-shrink connector.

Q: Can I splice the wires from both lights into a single AUX switch? Or should I separate them each to a single AUX button?

Thank you
Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Q: Can I connect both ground wires to a single post or should I separate them?
You can connect them to the same post. You may also twist the bare leads together and crimp them in a single ring terminal. You didn't mention if you were planning to use a ring terminal, but it's the most secure attachment method. Consider using solder to join the wires; I like to go paranoid and solder before and after crimping on the ring terminal, but most will consider that overkill. Look for ring terminals that have a built-in star washer, or use a lock washer in your assembly.

Q: Can I splice the wires from both lights into a single AUX switch? Or should I separate them each to a single AUX button?
Add up the current draw of the two lights. If it's less than the AUX switch capacity (it will be) you are good to go. I love those weather-resistant heat shrink terminals, but I usually just use plain terminals/connectors with separately supplied shrink tube so I can go nuts with the solder, as described above.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
I installed mine a few months ago to Aux 2 which is rated at 15 amps if I’m not mistaken. It works like a champ!

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You can splice mulitple lights [loads] into one switch for convenience, but you need to pay attention to the load rating so you do not overload the circuit.

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
You can connect them to the same post. You may also twist the bare leads together and crimp them in a single ring terminal. You didn't mention if you were planning to use a ring terminal, but it's the most secure attachment method. Consider using solder to join the wires; I like to go paranoid and solder before and after crimping on the ring terminal, but most will consider that overkill. Look for ring terminals that have a built-in star washer, or use a lock washer in your assembly.
Don't have a caliper, but was hoping you could make some recommendations on inner diameter of for the ring terminal size by chance? Going to be running 2x 10 awg cables to the front rear to distribution blocks.
Sponsored