Sponsored

2.0L turbo Jeep Wrangler JL Delivered Today

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
FCA dropped the ball in reality again! What everyone wants is the 5.7 Hemi V8 or tried and true diesel. With the new ever rising base pricepoints, it should be standard. My Ram 1500 Crew with the Hemi & 8 speed got right at 23 mpg Hwy doing 75 and had 400 horsepower!
100% agreed. Hemi should have been optional.
Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
From what I have read, the Hemi is too long to fit under the hood of the Wrangler and still meet crash test standards without making the engine compartment/hood/etc a foot or so longer......

pdavey168

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Grey, 2020 JT Launch Edition Bright White, 2018 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
CEO offroadparts.com
Every automobile in my driveway has some sort of turbo in it except the Jeep. All these vehicles are on the pavement only. Turbos and dirt don't mix well. I have a non turbo RZR that I have had 0 problems with, all my buddies with turbos are always dealing with issues. So in my humble opinion if your not going to spend much time in the dirt, the turbo may work for you. I do a lot of wheeling in some pretty dusty environments and there is no way I can trust the longevity of a dusty turbo. Just my 2 cents.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
For me its not really about MPGs or regular vs premium fuel costs etc, Its about power loss at higher altitudes and a bit more sporty response. I'll have to drive them both before I buy one. I have had 3 Pentastars in a JKR/JKUR/WK2 Trailhawk, and I like the engine a lot. We bought a Focus RS a bit over a year ago and its the first turbo we've ever owned.....I know a JL is not a Focus RS but I'd like a bit more push/torque/spirited power delivery. I'm sure the 8 speed vs the 5 speed auto makes a big difference but I like the 295 ft/lbs at the much lower RPM then the Pentastar....

Also I live at about 4200 feet above sea level and often am higher than that.....The loss of power % with the forced induction is quite a bit less than an NA motor.

I doubt there is a huge difference between the 2 engines, especially at seal level but I think there will be a decent difference for those higher up....My .02

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Every automobile in my driveway has some sort of turbo in it except the Jeep. All these vehicles are on the pavement only. Turbos and dirt don't mix well. I have a non turbo RZR that I have had 0 problems with, all my buddies with turbos are always dealing with issues. So in my humble opinion if your not going to spend much time in the dirt, the turbo may work for you. I do a lot of wheeling in some pretty dusty environments and there is no way I can trust the longevity of a dusty turbo. Just my 2 cents.
Out of the thousands of miles driven in Iraq with turbocharged HMMWVs none of the problems we had dealt with the turbochargers. We would have to beat the dust out of the air filters from time to time but induction was never a problem.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Noted and thanks. Sorry if I sounded abrupt but so many posts are simply made with no further intent other than contradiction.

To add to my observations, one theory is that the damage from carbon and soot buildup endemic in turbo GDI (not diesel as I mistakenly said previously) is especially likely to occur under low speed, high load situation. The more torquey applications many Wranglers are likely to see could cause even more problems.

One thing I'd say would be a good idea is to always use the highest octane premium fuel available. The last thing you want is more pre-detonation due to lower octane fuel that would exacerbate the buildup in the cylinder heads and undersides of the valves. The more buildup on the valves, the hotter they run and that's when you start to see major problems- valve seating issues and dropped valves. Of course, premium gas prices further decrease any savings garnered by better MPGS.
I completely agree that the direct injection engines have been shown to create more buildup in the heads from the injector system, and plan on running high octane for that reason. Whether it will make a difference I don’t know, but I wasn’t one of the people who ordered the turbo to try to squeeze pennies on the gas, so we’ll see how it goes. The DI engines being more prone to injector buildup was known to engineers prior to this engine so I can only hope it’s been fine tuned by now.

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I completely agree that the direct injection engines have been shown to create more buildup in the heads from the injector system, and plan on running high octane for that reason. Whether it will make a difference I don’t know, but I wasn’t one of the people who ordered the turbo to try to squeeze pennies on the gas, so we’ll see how it goes. The DI engines being more prone to injector buildup was known to engineers prior to this engine so I can only hope it’s been fine tuned by now.
I think there are a lot of findings that show the soot and deposit buildup in GDI turbo engines is characteristic of the direct injection design itself. A problem with the designs at this point is that engineers are building to hit a spec and that spec is increased fuel efficiency, not long term durability.

If I were buying the 2.0T I'd be budgeting for the FCA lifetime warranty. Heck, I purchased the plan for my JL which is a 3.6 NA unit. I do plan, however, to turn the vehicle over to my kid one day as her first car and she's 8 right now.

Here's a great read which goes into the matter much more thoroughly than I can: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10/solving-gasoline-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
What kind of problems have they run into, specifically?

DI engines get carbon build up on the valves since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, instead of before the valves. On a traditional engine, the fuel cleans the carbon off the valves as it goes by. That said, it's really not a big deal. DI engines have been around for a good bit. It will probably need a walnut blast on the valves every 60-70k or so. No engine is maintenance free.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
100% agreed. Hemi should have been optional.
I can go a little further one that. Wanna know what disappointed me? It's not even with the new Wrangler.

Its the fact that they took an iconic vehicle of the 80's and 90's, AKA, the Renegade, a perfectly good V8 with a ton of power/torque, and made it into a 4 cylinder piece of shit.

Ok, my rant is over.

Have a good one y'all!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I can go a little further one that. Wanna know what disappointed me? It's not even with the new Wrangler.

Its the fact that they took an iconic vehicle of the 80's and 90's, AKA, the Renegade, a perfectly good V8 with a ton of power/torque, and made it into a 4 cylinder piece of shit.

Ok, my rant is over.

Have a good one y'all!
To be fair, its not the first time they've reused the Renegade name. Remember the YJ with a funky body kit?

hqdefault.jpg

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My
What kind of problems have they run into, specifically?

DI engines get carbon build up on the valves since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, instead of before the valves. On a traditional engine, the fuel cleans the carbon off the valves as it goes by. That said, it's really not a big deal. DI engines have been around for a good bit. It will probably need a walnut blast on the valves every 60-70k or so. No engine is maintenance free.
Turbo engines are not the only DI engines with this problem. My Audi Q7 w/8 cyl NA engine has over 110,000 miles on it and was starting to leak oil everywhere. The mechanic took off the top of the engine to reseal everything and said the valves needed cleaning as well. So while we were in there I took care of that issue. BTW, my Audi engine also needs Premium fuel despite not being a Turbo.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I think there are a lot of findings that show the soot and deposit buildup in GDI turbo engines is characteristic of the direct injection design itself. A problem with the designs at this point is that engineers are building to hit a spec and that spec is increased fuel efficiency, not long term durability.

If I were buying the 2.0T I'd be budgeting for the FCA lifetime warranty. Heck, I purchased the plan for my JL which is a 3.6 NA unit. I do plan, however, to turn the vehicle over to my kid one day as her first car and she's 8 right now.

Here's a great read which goes into the matter much more thoroughly than I can: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10/solving-gasoline-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/
Unless something's changed I don't believe the FCA lifetime warranty is transferable.

Ok, my rant is over.

Have a good one y'all!
3 words: Four. Door. Charger. (Mic dropped)

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
To be fair, its not the first time they've reused the Renegade name. Remember the YJ with a funky body kit?

hqdefault.jpg
That funky jeep was the V8! But I guess they did bring back the euro bumpers for the JL lolol. It all started with yj.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unless something's changed I don't believe the FCA lifetime warranty is transferable.

3 words: Four. Door. Charger. (Mic dropped)
Hahahahahahah
Sponsored