Sponsored

2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited vs 2018 Toyota 4Runner

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
If you're thinking about a well optioned 4R, look at the Lexus GX 460. It's worth it for the V8, IMO.

IMO, Toyota's do last longer, but when they do break things tend to be more complicated and expensive to fix because of some weird design choices. Starters under intake manifolds, comes to mind.
Sponsored

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
I have a 'very' modified 4Runner and considering a JL just because of QOL and technical improvements over the JK. I had a JK Rubi and ultimately find the Runner is equal or better in almost every facet than my JKUR was. While expected being on a dedicated Jeep forum, it really drives me nuts when people (Ape et al) are over the top fanboy to a brand while spouting complete unjustified hyperbole against another.

Competition is good, I like many vehicles and feel brand loyalty is really limiting. Can't wait to see more on this JL, I'm really thinking about a JLUR in Mojito all kitted out.

lM4E2Go.jpg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I said "theoretically" because nobody knows how reliable this new wrangler will be. There's a possibility FCA has finally figured out how to manufacture things that are as reliable as toyota, but that's a tiny tiny possibility. Also I don't think toyota trucks share the same rock-solid reliability as their cars - there was some huge awful issue with Tacoma frames a while back, and some Tundras were worse than ford F150s, believe it or not.
Oh sure, nobody is perfect and it certainly seems like FCA is making an effort to improve quality, but I think it's gonna take some time before they ever get to Toyota's level. The thing with Wranglers and the JK specifically is that it took them a good five years to start getting it right. My '07 and '12 were riddled with flaws, but other than an oil pressure sensor, my '14 hasn't given me any trouble and I have put that thing through its paces. Despite lessons learned with the JK, they're still starting over with the JL.

That being said, it was Fiat that came through and started cleaning up the atrocious interior quality of virtually every Chrysler vehicle (hence the JK interior refresh for 2011). Fiat has a well-known reputation for poor quality themselves, but it's fascinating how the marriage between them and Chrysler has somehow managed to improve Jeep. They've still got a ways to go, but it's happening.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
While expected being on a dedicated Jeep forum, it really drives me nuts when people (Ape et al) are over the top fanboy to a brand while spouting complete unjustified hyperbole against another.
I think you have me confused with freegld. I didn’t say the Wrangler won at everything, I said reality is give and take between the two and his statement was that of someone who never really looked into the matter. Even on the reliability and safety aspect, as mentioned before there are areas that the surface ‘accepted fact’ doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. Now if you’d like to show the hypebole in my statement that the interior is aging and not as well appointed, or that the engine is unrefined and aging with poor torque curve, combined with an aging transmission resulting poor MPG, or that the MSRP can be significantly lower for a 4dr Wrangler (it can also go higher if you want too), please go ahead and prvide facts instead of random BS suppositions.

This isn’t our first discussion of this topic in this forum, and it won’t be our last, as I would never expect a Yota fan to ever see issues with their brand (many of us comment on the issues with the Jeep brand and Wrangler model wuite often), instead Yota fans are the ones to go out of their way to go on to Jeep or Land Rover forums or YouTube videos to comment on other vehicles negatively and chirp about how Awesome and infallible the Toy is...

Kinda like you signing up just to comment on a 4Runner thread with your only post.. :movember:

Even if you are considering a JL, your interest in the other product didn’t motivate you to comment or ask questions about the JL before, but a chance to comment on a 4Runner vs Jeep and gush over your Toy, hellz yeah, sign you up, right ?

Now maybe I’m misreading your intentions, the way you obviously misread anything I posted, but from here it looks like you came by just to comment on a 4Runner in a Jeep forum.

Personally I think these thread should be locked and deleted in the forums, but hey, we can pretend they are as constructive as going onto a Football forum and arguing about which one is really football/futball/fötbal.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I am not even sure why anyone would come in here and troll about their 4runner vs a Jeep.
It's a proven fact that Wrangler > Defender > G-wagen > Xterra > 4runner, off-road. Even if endless swaps, mods, etc, a Jeep is already 95% of the way there vs any those vehicles, with maybe the Defender or G-wagen being the most durable (not reliable). Maybe if the criteria is overlanding then you can bust out Defenders, Pajeros, FJ80/60, old Land Cruisers as the preferred vehicles for stout and easily repairable field vehicles with a huge support network (Africa, Australia).

There is no modern vehicle equivalent anymore of a Jeep anymore. It's both a shock and privilege in our lap that the Jeep exists at all.
Even with FCAs and FIAT's notorious reputation for quality and reliability, most modern vehicles are doing pretty well. Many manufacturer's share the same parts suppliers (built to their respective specs) which leaves the initial engineering, bean counting , and assembly as the wild cards - + the engine as the only markers of reliability. Stuff like sensors computers and blah blah, seem to be a function of bean counting nowadays. At least the Jeep is engineered part-wise, to be more durable than a mass market Chrysler, so that leaves crappy assembly and Pentastar as the main possible gripes.

Toyota is both running on reputation, but also at the mercy of its own subs to play out that legendary reliability. The final point is, that all modern vehicles are reliable, but now have way more complexity (EGR, crazy car-play stuff), under-engineered parts for cost, and life expectancy built in.

Sponsored

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
Now maybe I’m misreading your intentions, the way you obviously misread anything I posted, but from here it looks like you came by just to comment on a 4Runner in a Jeep forum
You caught me red handed, I'm guilty of posting thoughts pertaining to the original question which also equals trolling apparently. I'm also guilty of lurking here for a long time and shoulda known better to call out a forum warrior, great community.

Gday

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You caught me red handed, I'm guilty of posting thoughts pertaining to the original question which also equals trolling apparently. I'm also guilty of lurking here for a long time and shoulda known better to call out a forum warrior, great community.
Despite the feigned indignance, your only two efforts were to promote the 4Runner while misrepresenting my statements, so it seems pretty clear what your intentions were.

Again, what prompted you to sign-up to post your first and only contribution to that point, wasn’t a query about the Wrangler on a Wrangler forum, but the chance to promote the 4Runner and knock the Wrangler on a Wrangler forum; that’s far more indicative of that fanboish activity you pretend drives you nuts, while you actively do just that very fanboish thing.

Safe travels in your 4Runner, eh! :tumbleweed:

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
just had a peek over at the 4runner forums. Sounds like frame rot is still an issue with the 4R. Ouch.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Competition is good, I like many vehicles and feel brand loyalty is really limiting. Can't wait to see more on this JL, I'm really thinking about a JLUR in Mojito all kitted out.
Oh competition good, the wrangler right now is kinda in its own class if going topless is important/interesting to ya. Ford is rolling out a new bronco design, if it were to go back to its 70s version that would be pretty interesting.

I consider the Wrangler to be tops in styling in an market getting over run with look alike crossovers. They are classic looking, clean. The Wrangler screams lets not go to work, and take dog to beach instead today.

I guess for me no one vehicle is gonna cover all bases. Gonna keep my awd ford edge for hauling tons of people dogs, etc and use the jeep for fun (no kids) just me and dog, maybe wife

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
4runner is more reliable, 4runner is one of the last US market Toyota's still made in Japan, the build quality is very high on Japan made Toyotas.
I agree.

I hate to beat the horse again but I had a Wrangler and it spent at least two days a month over its entire warranty period in the dealer's garage. Rarely the same issue or a safety issue, so it didn't qualify as a lemon, and in the JK forums you can read many complaining of the exact same issues.

Hopefully the JL will address some of those, but Jeep has long had a "People keep buying them so why fix it?" attitude towards many of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alan A

Alan A

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
I have a feeling that the JL wrangler won’t have the same issues as compared to the other Jeeps, especially the grand Cherokee. This is because, the Wrangler does not use air suspension.

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
The OP's question regarded reliability, regardless of his intentions on this forum. I've had 2 4-Runners ('06 and '13) and 2 JK's ('09 and '12). While my JK's were not plagued with issues, there's no question in my household, the 4-Runners were 100% trouble free (never even a hiccup) while both of my JK's required some attention to, albeit minor, problems. But am I shopping a new 4-Runner? Nope. No way. I'm here in anticipation of my new JKU because from a happiness/fun/passion/coolness factor, there is no comparison. Jeep all day long for me!

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
My Saturn has been amazingly reliable and if I found a used Vue Redline it would have a Honda V6, has a plastic body so it won't rust....

But ask yourself this, what will make you happier? Will it be the wind in your face (windshield down), lots of sun (top down) or are you someone who frets over every little thing? If you are a worry wart, get the Toyota. If you are carefree get the Wrangler.

in the end consider this, life is short too short for some so go out and do something that gives you an ear to ear grin and if that is fulfilled by the Toyota then that's the right choice and if that is the Wrangler then that was the one.

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
My Saturn has been amazingly reliable and if I found a used Vue Redline it would have a Honda V6, has a plastic body so it won't rust....

But ask yourself this, what will make you happier? Will it be the wind in your face (windshield down), lots of sun (top down) or are you someone who frets over every little thing? If you are a worry wart, get the Toyota. If you are carefree get the Wrangler.

in the end consider this, life is short too short for some so go out and do something that gives you an ear to ear grin and if that is fulfilled by the Toyota then that's the right choice and if that is the Wrangler then that was the one.
right? +10000

and even an "unreliable" car today is still fairly reliable*. Overall car reliability has been steadily increasing over the years (according to consumer reports)... Materials, assembly, testing and quality control techniques just keep getting better and better. The biggest problem spot in newer cars appears to be the infotainment systems. A dead touch screen won't leave you stranded.

*well, maybe not a certain brand whose initials are "Land Rover"
Sponsored