Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Some more recent info from Jeep website:

On the Jeep website, it's listed under Features, Interior, about 1/2 way down the page.
It seems to only be in the Alpine Package, and not dependent on any specific Infotainment system. It also includes a special laminated windshield (one that I hope is more resistant to rock impacts than the JK. ;))

BREAK THE SOUND BARRIER
The All-New Wrangler offers an available Alpine® Premium Audio System with a 552-watt 12-channel amplifier, eight speakers and a rear subwoofer. The system is enhanced by active noise cancellation and acoustic laminated windshield glass.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-Premium-Audio-img.jpg.image.1440.jpg

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-active-noise-control-cancellation 2.jpg

If you reviewed the JL Wrangler Order Guide and the updated JLU Wrangler Order Guide we just posted, you'll notice there's now something called Active Noise Control listed under the Electronic Infotainment Sys Group and Alpine Premium Audio System option.

This feature is likely to operate like the "Active Noise Cancellation" function in the Jeep Gand Cherokee and Chrysler Pacific which uses the audio system and strategically placed microphones (four in the Grand Cherokee and Pacifica) to introduce opposite-wave sound to the cabin in order to offset unwanted sounds, leading to a quieter cabin (by reducing NVH).

In the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and SRT models, the Active Noise Cancellation system also offsets exhaust drone by creating counteracting sound waves to keep the vehicle quieter at highway speeds.

Here's a technical overview of how it operates in the Jeep Grand Cherokee:

The Active Noise Control (ANC) module performs the creation of signals appropriate to cancel engine order related vehicle noises from the engine. It creates these signals in proportion to the Engine RPM plus any other needed input.
  • The ANC module obtains the engine RPM from the vehicle Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
  • The signals that the ANC module creates includes at least four simultaneous signals equivalent to sine wave frequencies in designated ratios tracking the engine RPM, to cancel engine order related noises, plus other optional signals that can enhance the cancellation effect.
  • To maintain the effectiveness of the noise cancellation over the full range of vehicle operating conditions and seating locations, the ANC module has four outputs and process signals from four microphone assemblies located in the headliner.
  • The ANC module supports mixing the four ANC signals into any output channel at a point after all of the signal processing required
  • The ANC module operates on vehicle battery power and has its state of operation controlled by CAN-B bus messages.
  • In addition to performing active noise cancellation, the ANC module supplies power to the loudspeakers.

Finally, besides a quieter cabin, two extra benefits of the noise cancelling feature is that it allows engineers to achieve more fuel-efficient engine calibrations due to the reduced need for NVH related tradeoffs, as well as reducing the need for heavy acoustic-damping material that add unwanted weight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This sounds really cool

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I know a lot of premium vehicles already come with this type of noise cancelling, but an open top vehicle like the Wrangler seems ideally suited for this.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I know a lot of premium vehicles already come with this type of noise cancelling, but an open top vehicle like the Wrangler seems ideally suited for this.
You have to wonder if it would really be effective with the top down. Our truck has 'noise cancelling' tech which is probably the same as what will come with the Wrangler. In the truck it is totally seamless and I think it makes some difference as the truck is very quiet inside but at what point will it be overwhelmed by outside noise.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I have no experience with Jeep ANC, but the first thing most audiophiles do is disconnect the ANC module or remove the interior mics. Apparently ANC plays havoc on custom aftermarket systems. If you plan to keep the stock system, then probably not a concern although I have read many threads that simply disconnecting the ANC module greatly enhances sound quality even on stock systems.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
You have to wonder if it would really be effective with the top down. Our truck has 'noise cancelling' tech which is probably the same as what will come with the Wrangler. In the truck it is totally seamless and I think it makes some difference as the truck is very quiet inside but at what point will it be overwhelmed by outside noise.
I don't think there should be any expectation that ANC is going to do much to deal with top down driving. I do think it could do a lot in blocking out the higher ambient noise levels a vehicle like this typically has coming into the cabin when the top is up and one desires more stereo (or quiet or conversation) and less racket.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Most of my aggravating noise in the Wrangler comes from... the passenger seat.... nono... just kidding. :giggle::involve:

Actually to me it’s not external noise that is the problem, it’s the wind/turbulance/buffeting across my earlobes that usually causes the loudest noise. With the top partially down I usually sit leaning on the armrest towards the centre to reduce the turbulance and associated noise.

Unfortunately this will not help with that, and doubtful it would do much about the former either. ;)

Sponsored

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Speaking of wind turbulence and buffeting...

I like how easy it looks to pop up the soft top (say on those days that it’s just to hot to sit in the sun) and use it in “Safari” mode (without the side panels and rear panel) but I am looking forward to hearing/reading a review of how it feels to be driving at speed when set up like that.

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Has anybody experienced this in one of the existing Chrysler vehicles? Does it work well?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wear my Bose QC25's outside all the time. It deals with all kinds of ambient noise very well, but then again, the ear cup is enclosed, which is different than an open top vehicle. I think this is a cool feature, but I'm not expecting miracles out of it. It should be noticeable, though, because the technology is developed and mature.
Sponsored