Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
Hi new guy here, love the site-just want to add my 2 cents.

The first thing I thought of when seeing the grab bars was a roll cage. The JK cages look just like that along the A pillar and windshield but of course you have to build around the original frame. That's one big reason a factory cage will be welcome.

Too many of the bolt on cages are band aid solutions for a weak factory structure and require cutting the dash and other areas to install. The "real" cages that give you peace of mind for the hardest of trails are either full custom ones or a full replacement cage which requires welding etc.

I just hope the handles are not welded on and can be swapped or removed. Compare these 2 cages/handles:

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG0189.png
Sponsored

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Most people use it to help get in and out of the jeep,which I'm guessing you still need to do on the driver's side :) I'm also guessing there's a matching one on the passenger side and rear lol.
I'm glad to see this, it's long overdue.
The grab handle design and location in the spy photos remind me of the Jeep Liberty KJ (1st gen) and Commander

Last edited:

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
My $.02 on most recent photos:
  • The backup camera could just be for testing purposes - has to be nearly impossible to see out that back window with all the drapes on the back end. Would be very surprised if it came to production; even more so if it ended up in center of the spare.
  • I don't buy those side steps at all. I'd bet they're just on there for camo purposes and to throw off on-lookers.
  • The zipper on the back cover is opens on the same side as my JKU, so the tailgate/ window could be the same as JK with that zipper configuration. Drop down tailgate would be cool but they'd have to do a swing-away tire carrier or similar.
  • Would love for Jeep to ditch the dissimilar metals between door and door hinge. My 2012 is already showing corrosion.
  • A-pillar handle. Not a fan. At all.
  • No more roll bar? Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...buying a 2017 on principle.
  • Remember 2007 redesign and the improvements that followed in what, 2011 or 2012 - second generation interior and ditched the minivan 3.8 for the pentastar? Eager to see what 2018 looks like but I won't buy until ~5 years into this generation when the bugs get worked out.
Where else would you place the backup camera? With so many people removing the top and replacing bumpers, the only area for it to be usable is in the middle of the spare. I'm guessing it would just be a bracket on the tailgate like on some of the JK aftermarket rear camera mounts

J101868.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Where else would you place the backup camera? With so many people removing the top and replacing bumpers, the only area for it to be usable is in the middle of the spare. I'm guessing it would just be a bracket on the tailgate like on some of the JK aftermarket rear camera mounts

J101868.jpg
Thats the same location the backup camera was on my FJ as well.

Sponsored

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
Very interesting...I second that full image be posted. That also confirms the roof edge in the rear is more rounded and even looks like it doesn't come straight down but angles outward.
Whatever they're covering with the rear camo is probably some of the biggest changes to the car. Might reveal how the roof operates, a flip up window that stows on top of the roof, or maybe angled rear pillars like on the clay model.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^indeed.
I'm expecting some sexy rounded edges to be fairly radical when that camp drops, along with that tri-sunroof three panel storable in trunk area roof, and a quick-remove door option which improves on the speed and ease of removal from the JKU doors. Hopefully with a powerless door option with manual windows and power locks that don't require wiring harnesses to the doors:

I.e. Power locks using deadbolts that deploy in each direction from the B-pillar ... into a female fitting in the doors.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Surprised there hasn't been any discussion about the big hood bump on the prototype.

Are we thinking this is a Hard Rock edition with its raised vented hood?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Wagler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Altitude 2013 Yamaha FZ8
Is it me, or does the windshield glass look way flatter than the JK?

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
I wonder if the rear view camera in cab display will be via the rear view mirror like the option that AEV offers with there if you have no Uconnect or will they make Uconnect standard.....

Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Is it me, or does the windshield glass look way flatter than the JK?
Yes, the JLU's windshield definitely looks less convex than the JK windshield. Maybe the more raked angle allows it to be flatter.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
Yes, the JLU's windshield definitely looks less convex than the JK windshield. Maybe the more raked angle allows it to be flatter.
My theory for the flatter windshield on the JL. The pics that admin posted confirming the windshield hinges show side hinges and not a single center hinge like on the JK. For two side hinges to work, the windshield has to be flat. If it were curved, the hinges would have to stick out at an angle.

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
I wonder if the rear view camera in cab display will be via the rear view mirror like the option that AEV offers with there if you have no Uconnect or will they make Uconnect standard.....
That's a good point. If the backup cameras are required by law now, how does it display for people who have the base radio? Or maybe that's why even the base Sport is going to have a 5" screen from the sounds of it?

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
That's a good point. If the backup cameras are required by law now, how does it display for people who have the base radio? Or maybe that's why even the base Sport is going to have a 5" screen from the sounds of it?
I'm sure that the base radio will have a display screen in it. I'd be extremely surprised if they use the rear view mirror.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
The new backup camera requirement is basically going to require all new cars have a screen of some kind.
Sponsored