Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
the new stick won't feel like my old YJ which was my last stick but I'm still excited about it.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I am not as familiar with the JK, but I think that was an Aisin as well.
No the prior manual transmission was a Mercedes derived design built in-house as the NSG370.

On the automatic side the last one was also Mercedes and the Aisin ones you noted were in the TJ not the JK

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
No the prior manual transmission was a Mercedes derived design built in-house as the NSG370.

On the automatic side the last one was also Mercedes and the Aisin ones you noted were in the TJ not the JK
Grape will the 3.6 that gets the mild hybrid next year get more horsepower and or torque because of the bsg? I wonder for example how much hp and torque it contributes to the 2.0?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grape will the 3.6 that gets the mild hybrid next year get more horsepower and or torque because of the bsg? I wonder for example how much hp and torque it contributes to the 2.0?
That’s in the production schedule according to Jay, next summer 3.6+BSG, that’s my target engine (Just hope Hella Yella and Nacho are still available [if Nacho/Dozer ever launches]). I think it will get a perceptible boost in the seat of your oants, but I doubt the spec sheet will actually change to reflect it. Kinda similar to the PUG shifting the torque curve earlier/left, it won’t be a number change so much as a perception change. That being said, they of course could PR it an promote it as a more powerful engine, etc.

The HP boost from BSG will be minimal (we’re talking ~ 20HP), torque is huge at super low RPM and then decays with engine speed, but that’s ideal for ESS and Turbo lag assists, where once going the 4T can take over.

What we don’t currently know is if the quoted Hurricane numbers are 4T+BSG or just 4T, but again it would be minor.
I think with their quoted torque number, that’s likely near cross-over where decay and power delivery overlap, I highly doubt it’s additive.

The HP number of 268 seems in line for just the 4T based on similar engines, but 248 would not be out of the question there either if the tune was more about efficiency, since the turbo and BSG handled the important improved toque component, but usually if the HP number relies on a hybrid compinent, usually it’s very clearly stated, so I would assume it's 268 for engine alone.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep is counting of around 30.000 diesels of the total of some 220.000. If this poll is a good estimate they might have to speed up the transferlines of the diese.
You quote Jalopnik, that quotes this forum as source? Just go to the source.

That projected 30,000 unit number is for all diesel both domestic (3.0) and export (2.2), so it’s not a large as one might think. Also, by the time the diesel’s are available, expected production will be 250,000+.

As for the volumes, the RAM will still get priority, just like when the GC got the EcoDiesel, though the Wrangler may get first allocation to satisfy pent-up demand.
Due to lower than expected uptake FCA never open their second EcoDiesel production, so it remains restricted. If this new engine is a runaway hit, then we may see that strategy revisited especially as it will likely be a key feature of the JT.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Can we just put a 7300 tq Tesla battery in the dang thing and be done with it all by now? :D

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Aisin is a quality manufacturer with a good name, it is also owned by Toyota.
Okay. That right there gives me some confidence. Is that the manual transmission (or a variation) being used in the current Tacoma? Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of them on the road, but I have seen a few videos and people seem incredibly pleased with it.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. That right there gives me some confidence. Is that the manual transmission (or a variation) being used in the current Tacoma? Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of them on the road, but I have seen a few videos and people seem incredibly pleased with it.
This probably means little so many years later, but my old 93 YJ 2.5 had an Aisin 5 speed that was great. I never had an issue with it. My brothers both had them too, no issues, either. In fact, one sold his Jeep to a cousin who ran it to over 300,000 miles. It went the distance, with no rebuild, only clutch replacements. In my mind, Aisin has a very good name. Certainly better than Pugeot, which made the YJ's 5 speed before Aisin.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay. That right there gives me some confidence. Is that the manual transmission (or a variation) being used in the current Tacoma?
Don’t know, there is still no info on this ‘D478’ variant and whether it is a derivative of the AZ6 or AY6, or it’s own new model. Its ratios are unlike any other I’ve seen.
The Tacoma 1st gear is 4.30:1 so even if based on the same originating platform, still significantly different. The previous Tacoma’s RA60F and FJC RA61F were based on the AY6 IIRC.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of them on the road, but I have seen a few videos and people seem incredibly pleased with it.
Yeah it gets positive reviews, in part because it’s also improved from the old 5-speed manual still on the 4-cyl which has a lower ratio first gear @ 3.91:1 , the difference will be similar but slightly more in the JL’s insane 5.13:1 ratio 1st gear vs 4.46:1 in that JK‘s MT.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep is counting of around 30.000 diesels of the total of some 220.000. If this poll is a good estimate they might have to speed up the transferlines of the diesel.

https://jalopnik.com/we-could-see-the-2018-jeep-wrangler-by-as-early-as-nove-1798544331
I think it is best for them to do so quickly and urgently.

I know that they want to postpone this winning card (diesel) because the customer who wants this engine is present in all markets of the world.
I know they want to make some money for the new Turbo 2.0L engine, But time is not in Jeep interest.

2019 There are competitors who may offer their products (which may be great) and the company may lose some potential customers.

This is my perception I might be wrong.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So many say they'll buy the diesel in the poll, but wait till they see the price tag. There's a dark cloud hovering over that parade.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So many say they'll buy the diesel in the poll, but wait till they see the price tag. There's a dark cloud hovering over that parade.
So true, plus the diesel won't be offered with a manual. :o(

There will be a big decision to make when the time comes. $4k for an engine option, or $4k in other functional accessories? Winch, bumpers, leather, LED package...

Diesel Sport S, or 3.6 manual Rubi? Hmmmm...
Sponsored