Alan A

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
Hello everyone!

I plan to buy either a 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited or the 2018 4runner. With that said, which rig will be more reliable? I currently own a 2005 Tacoma, but the access cab is a bit too large for tight trails and city streets. When looking for a car, reliability is my number one concern.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Wrangler.

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
On paper, the 4Runner will win every time when you compare technicals, features, reliability, safety, and certainly PRICE. The reason to choose the jeep is more of a subjective desire - sense of community, being creative with mods, heritage, etc...

A late model Toyota will blow the doors off a 1st year FCA product in terms of reliability

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On paper, the 4Runner will win every time when you compare technicals, features, reliability, safety, and certainly PRICE.
4-Runner MSRP is higher, has less features (it needs a refresh as much as the JK and Tacoma did) and the technicals favour the Wrangler too.

So not sure you actually even bothered to verify any of those.

As for Safety and Reliability, they’re very subjective, even with IIHS testing Toyota was shown only build to meet artificial tests, not to protect the occupants.

Sponsored

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
4-Runner MSRP is higher, has less features (it needs a refresh as much as the JK and Tacoma did) and the technicals favour the Wrangler too.

So not sure you actually even bothered to verify any of those.

As for Safety and Reliability, they’re very subjective, even with IIHS testing Toyota was shown only build to meet artificial tests, not to protect the occupants.
I'm very familiar with 4Runner, as I have researched the crap out of it and test driven one. Just because you disagree doesn't mean I'm not making an informed opinion

OP
OP
Alan A

Alan A

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
It is interesting that the 2018 4runner is not as fuel efficient as the JL.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
He’s asking about reliability. Betting against the 4runner with a brand new gen Wrangler doesn’t make much sense. The 4runners for sale right now are *almost* bulletproof. The 2018 JL will almost definitely have its share of issues because almost everything about it is brand new.

Of course the coolness factor is much higher with a Jeep, and the off road capability is much higher in the Jeep. But reliability is a different discussion and Toyota wins every time (especially when stacked up against new FCA products)

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The 4runner has a horrible face. The front end design alone would slowly kill me if I had to look at it in the driveway every morning. The Wrangler styling JK and JL makes me happy.

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
There are rumors that the 4Runner will be all new in 2019. The JL is new now. Just something to consider.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm very familiar with 4Runner, as I have researched the crap out of it and test driven one.
The you’ll easy be able to explain the Higher MSRP on the 4 Runner, contrary to your comment.

And the ‘superior technicals’ like the 4Runner’s older & weaker engine with an aging transmission that provides lower MPGs?

As for features, is that the aging interior with the 6.1” Etune? Less headroom?

Sure doesn’t sound like winning every time. Sounds more like a give and take when you compare the overall packing with the JLU giving back on towing/payload or cargo space, and the 4Runner giving back in those areas and more.

Just because you disagree doesn't mean I'm not making an informed opinion
No, and the later doesn’t make your poorly generalized statement any truer either.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Screw the 4runner! Wrangler or nothing!

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
theoretically the toyota is going to be more reliable than an FCA product.

But keep in mind the 4Runner is sooo dated. old transmission, old gas hog engine.

There's really no point in getting a brand new 4runner. Save a few bucks and get a slightly used one a couple years old.

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The you’ll easy be able to explain the Higher MSRP on the 4 Runner, contrary to your comment.

And the ‘superior technicals’ like the 4Runner’s older & weaker engine with an aging transmission that provides lower MPGs?

As for features, is that the aging interior with the 6.1” Etune? Less headroom?

Sure doesn’t sound like winning every time. Sounds more like a give and take when you compare the overall packing with the JLU giving back on towing/payload or cargo space, and the 4Runner giving back in those areas and more.

No, and the later doesn’t make your poorly generalized statement any truer either.
Ok I'll play...

Throwing more money at anything will make it better, therefore a true test of a vehicle's prowess is at its base model so we can compare apples to apples.

A base SR5 vs Base sport:
-engine: yota 270 HP, 278 (4400 rpm) T; jeep 285 HP, 260 (4800 rpm) T. I'll take the higher torque, and it's at lower rpm
- trans: yota 5 A/T vs 6MT which equates to 18 vs 19 combined. I'll edge jeep here, but not by much
- towing you mentioned already. Yota
- interior: seat comfort is taste, but yota's rear seats recline and head restraints are adjustable
- head unit: entune is garbage, but there's nav
- msrp is higher, but the two jeep dealers I went to said they sell themselves and didn't budge (no TL discount of course). I imagine a JL will be even more of the same if TL is not accepted. Yota dealer, gave good deal. Although, I see folks getting good deals on JKs so it may just be a product of where I live

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
theoretically the toyota is going to be more reliable than an FCA product.
Oh, that's not a theory. Toyota has always been far more reliable than Chrysler. But yeah, the current 4Runner is dated.
Sponsored