First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
what wheel back spacing did you go with? love the wheels!!!
These are still my stock wheels and tires. I have 37 KO2s in my Barn. Waiting for my PSC Crawler bumper before I lift it. (hopefully in a week or two) I might be using the Spidertrax WHS024 1 3/4" Wheel Spacer with my stock wheels for a while after I lift it and put on the 37s. I cant decide on my wheel upgrade.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
7/24/18

Yup, I'm a member of this BRIGHT WHITE club...

Fellow member's .... Any of you with a 2018 Bright White JL/JLU not have an issue with your grill turning yellow or starting to turn yellow say after a month or three of ownership? Just curious.

Yes, mine is turning yellow and am in the midst of dealing with it. Apparently, even the JL's leaving the factory as I type, have the same grill so even those will face the yellowing issue. Sure, in time FCA will have to come up with a grill that does not do this.....

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
7/24/18

Fellow member's .... Any of you with a 2018 Bright White JL/JLU not have an issue with your grill turning yellow or starting to turn yellow say after a month or three of ownership? Just curious.

Yes, mine is turning yellow and am in the midst of dealing with it. Apparently, even the JL's leaving the factory as I type, have the same grill so even those will face the yellowing issue. Sure, in time FCA will have to come up with a grill that does not do this.....
Didn't you say you are already having yours repainted? I have been reluctant to set it up since I am afraid it will be yellow again in a month. :/

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
7/24/18

I can tell already after 3 weeks, wonder if dealers would paint it black under warranty instead of white as I’ve been thinking of going that route as well

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't you say you are already having yours repainted? I have been reluctant to set it up since I am afraid it will be yellow again in a month. :/
I've had mine repainted on a new grille by the dealership and it's been over two months. No yellowing. Don't be afraid, like Nike says, Just Do It!

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I've had mine repainted on a new grille by the dealership and it's been over two months. No yellowing. Don't be afraid, like Nike says, Just Do It!
I have been dreaming of having this Jeep since before I started driving a LOOOOONG time ago so I am paranoid. I guess worst case scenario is that it keeps getting fixed under warranty. :crying:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I can tell already after 3 weeks, wonder if dealers would paint it black under warranty instead of white as I’ve been thinking of going that route as well
The dealer will undoubtedly get an ok from FCA to paint the grill and 3 side moldings.. They may let you get it painted black versus white. Reality is, once they have a body shop paint it, FCA is done with it, as in no more grill warranty in regard to the finish lets say. You have a problem after painting it's on you and the body shop..

My dealership gave me the option to paint the white grill white or black but I declined because....

PROBLEM ...... Any decent body shop will warn you not to paint that white plastic grill black! Why you ask ......... well, after painted, any little chip will reveal the white underneath. In short order, you will have a white speckled grill. Sure you can try to touch it up.... have fun with that.

Painting white on the white plastic grill will leave you with a grill that chips will not show up as bad on...

BEST BET is, if you want a black grill, regardless of the reason, is for you to buy one of the JL grill's (comes in black) and have it painted the exact color black you desire. Geeez, you may even like the black they come in.. Leave the stock grill in the closet and hopefully, in a few months you can get a new white version grill under warranty.

So, you want that newly purchased black the color black you want.... Either paint it at a cost of $350-600+- or save a few hundred and have the product "Auto Flex" applied in the color matte black lets say. Auto Flex application will cost you about $200 ... done by a professional applicator. Now, when you get the grill chips, (and you will) you will not see the chips as under the top coating it is black. 8-)

An option for some if you can work it out with the dealer...... IF you like the color of the Mopar Black Satin Grill for JL or the JL Assembly grill.... they are black but a different shade, then get the dealer to get FCA to approve that they get you one of these grills and install same. I also had my dealer offer this..... but I do not personally like the color black on either grill so I declined.

In closing, careful with any grill decision you make.....remember a painted grill is far far different then the white plastic grill that comes with the JL. Painted grill, will be very prone to chipping versus the white or black plastic grill.

Hopefully, soon the manufacturer of the grill will find away to manufacture the grill in a way where it will not yellow over time and or sun/heat exposure.

p.s. My dealership GM has been terrific to deal with. I got the pick of the litter so to speak with him. A stand up guy.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Here is a very cheesy video that my wife put together that does include our white JL and one of our favorite new places to take it in Tennessee. Hope you enjoy.

Nice video!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
7/24/18

I plasti-dipped my grill shortly after getting it. So I never had an issue. If the dealer is willing to paint it, I would say go for a black grill if they will do it. They look really good on a white jeep and you won't need to worry about it in the future. I did leave the white trim on my grill, it hasn't yellowed.