2.0L turbo 4 cylinder Hurricane engine

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I dunno, but considering their base price for regular was about 15+c more than ours, it makes the price of premium here and there nearer to the same price, you just lose the advantage of regular.

However, if it's gonna be $1.15 for regular and $1.20 for Premium, then WooHoo, why not !?!
Some pumps it was 1c more for 89 and only 3c more for 91 so I was surprised.

Now if it was only the mid-grade then I would have been leary / skeptical , because in the US 89 octane is often cheaper than 87 because it has a high amount of Ethanol, whereas the 87 and 91 don't and are pure gasoline.
Also be aware, some states like Washington a typical gas station will have ethanol in all their pumps' grades without a warning/sticker, and you need to seek out the more commercial oriented ones to get fuel without ethanol.

Ethanol doped gasolines get less MPG so get the pure stuff when you can.
Wow we're complaining about a Dollar Plus for gas geez
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
any guesses as to which motor will be in the rubicon? I am really wondering if I should tick with a gas or go to a desiel and what about turbo inline4 hurricane thing? can some one list the pros and cons for each engine?
For where you are you might wanna check if there are extra taxes or tax-breaks on engine type.

The first thing to find out is how are you using it? I'm assuming if you're getting a Rubi then some off-roading is a priority of some level. Speaking of levels...
Going into the High Sierras or staying at sea level?
Doing much long distance trekking?
Doing any hauling/towing?
DailyDriver, Stuck in traffic much? Passin much?

For the most part with the Rubi I would recommend the diesel first under almost all of the above, but the other two have their benefits depending on more detail about use.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So why isn't the Turbo 2.0 getting Multiair? Also, do we know if it's actually going to be called the Hurricane? I didn't hear any mention of that name during the presser.

Also, now that we know peak torque and peak hp, when can we get an actual torque curve for this thing?

And will the eTorque (BSG) eliminate turbo lag?

The world is waiting for answers.

Tripodmode

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser Trail Teams, CLA45 AMG
Any idea if the 2.0 will be less expensive than the 3.6?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Any idea if the 2.0 will be less expensive than the 3.6?
The Pentastar is the base engine across the lineup, so Hurricane and EcoDiesel will both cost more money.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's a powerful little engine! Everyone gets hung up on peak torque, though, but that won't tell the story. It is told by the torque curve. The Pentastar will get 95% of its torque by 1,000rpm, but the 2.0 only gets, say 200lbs of torque at 1000, then the Pentastar would be more useful off-road.

That said, it sounds like they've engineered this thing to try and get high torque right off the bat. I'd love to drive one.

The other thing that would make me nervous about it is a little 4 letter word that used to mean crappy engines not too many years ago. That word is "Fiat." I'm sure they've worked hard since then to overcome that, however. We'll see.

I would consider this engine, if the manual transmission came on it, or if I were interested in the automatic. I'd also be inclined to wait 6 months or so to see if they are reliable. Problem is, I want the manual and don't want to wait.

I bet it will be a fine engine. It sounds like Jeep had a great deal input on the design for the Wrangler application, from what I've gathered from the Jeep leaders' interviews and speeches.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
That's a powerful little engine! Everyone gets hung up on peak torque, though, but that won't tell the story. It is told by the torque curve. The Pentastar will get 95% of its torque by 1,000rpm, but the 2.0 only gets, say 200lbs of torque at 1000, then the Pentastar would be more useful off-road.
For that reason 2.0 has a mild hybrid system called eTorque.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For that reason 2.0 has a mild hybrid system called eTorque.
Yep, driven by a belt. Hmm. How will that belt hold up when crawling all day in demanding conditions? Probably fine, but I'll be watching with great curiosity.

SwissHigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imminent Rubicon
Won't a flash give this another 40-50 hp/tq AND improve the curve? For a small, invisible upgrade this would make the hurricane the superior Wrangler engine. And even better mileage!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, driven by a belt. Hmm. How will that belt hold up when crawling all day in demanding conditions? Probably fine, but I'll be watching with great curiosity.
Sadly cold is again where the belt concerns me for slippage. Iso wish they had gone the in-line/in-transmission ZF route but that would limit manual transmission options when added to the 3.6 next year.

I think the performance and reliability of the Hurricane will be of great interest initially, and I can see JP/4Wheeler and Truck Trend making some efforts to try to over-tax it in the name of reader confidence.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Won't a flash give this another 40-50 hp/tq AND improve the curve? For a small, invisible upgrade this would make the hurricane the superior Wrangler engine. And even better mileage!
Flash is unlikely to give you both power & mpg, usually trade one for the other. Also it will likely remove the option of 87 octane too.

As for the level of boost, I suspect the esy DIY flash kits will likely get only a few dozen units increase on either number, but the serious tuners will get more while pushing closer to the edge of destruction.

The real question is how much performance is left untapped, big numbers usually come for vehicles that are built for multiple performance levels and leave locked in performace that can then be realeased by taking away some of the limitations. That’s not the case with the Hurricane, it’s close to Alfa levels, so not a true economy tune to start with, therefore +30/30 is pretty reasonable, doubling that or more will require moving into greater efforts and risk.

SwissHigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imminent Rubicon
Flash is unlikely to give you both power & mpg, usually trade one for the other. Also it will likely remove the option of 87 octane too.

As for the level of boost, I suspect the esy DIY flash kits will likely get only a few dozen units increase on either number, but the serious tuners will get more while pushing closer to the edge of destruction.

The real question is how much performance is left untapped, big numbers usually come for vehicles that are built for multiple performance levels and leave locked in performace that can then be realeased by taking away some of the limitations. That’s not the case with the Hurricane, it’s close to Alfa levels, so not a true economy tune to start with, therefore +30/30 is pretty reasonable, doubling that or more will require moving into greater efforts and risk.
Not a fair comparison, but I know the old EVOs and STIs would gain ridiculous power (~50/50) with nothing but a flash and get better MPG due to factory cars running rich.

I agree even the basic tune will require 91+.

I'm not looking for anything crazy, just want a tune, everything else stock. Want it to feel capable on highway.
Sponsored