Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@FastDNA
@MALL R8D

7/27/18 10:22 am

GM at the dealership called me and had me bring my 2dr. JL with the yellowing grill to their Service Department at 8am this morning.

GM was there to greet me when I drove in. He said hang on a minute and left to come back in 3 minutes or so with one of their Senior Techs. He said the Tech had just pulled the grill and moldings off of a newly arrived Bright White JL and that they were going to replace my grill and moldings with them. Yes, they would also put my gray grill inserts and gray headlight buckets on the new grill before installing it.

Took about 40 mins to do and the workmanship by the Tech was spot on..... and.... the front of the JL looks normal/great, Bright White, again.

Prior to the Tech doing the swap, I slipped him $20 and told him lunch was on me. I reminded him I was anal about my JL and that I was concerned about clips, nicks, and ALL. He said he understood, and off he went.... with a smile.

I got the JL back in 40 mins and it was spotless. Not a fingerprint on it or a foot print on the floor mat. Was just as I had given it to him...spotless/just detailed.

GM and Tech both spoke with me and shook my hand after the grill was swapped and before I drove off. I told them thank you and that I was going to be writing a letter to the dealership's owner.

The GM was terrific and really came to bat for me in regard to dealing with his Zone Rep and FCA, in getting a resolution other then painting the grill which I did not want to do. Took him a week to work things out but he did the deed. He told me he wouldn't want it painted either.

GM, told me that this new grill would hopefully not yellow before FCA came up with a grill that would not yellow. He assured me if this grill yellows (it probably will, unfortunately) that he will get me another new grill and moldings..

After this post, I will be typing up a letter to the owner of the Dealership to let her (yes, her, she owns 3 or 4 dealerships) know about my dealings with the GM and Tech and that my letter should go into their personal jackets and that the owner should praise them... give them a that-a-boy. They represented her, her dealership and FCA well.

In closing, sure glad I purchased the JL from a local little dealership!. I would have not seen this remedy with some / most of the bigger dealerships.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why buy a different grill? Just plasti-dip / paint / wrap the one you have.
@FastDNA , undoubtedly will tell you exactly why he did not use the stock grill. HE did make the right decision for a number of reasons.

ale214

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@FastDNA
@MALL R8D

7/27/18 10:22 am

GM at the dealership called me and had me bring my 2dr. JL with the yellowing grill to their Service Department at 8am this morning.

GM was there to greet me when I drove in. He said hang on a minute and left to come back in 3 minutes or so with one of their Senior Techs. He said the Tech had just pulled the grill and moldings off of a newly arrived Bright White JL and that they were going to replace my grill and moldings with them. Yes, they would also put my gray grill inserts and gray headlight buckets on the new grill before installing it.

Took about 40 mins to do and the workmanship by the Tech was spot on..... and.... the front of the JL looks normal/great, Bright White, again.

Prior to the Tech doing the swap, I slipped him $20 and told him lunch was on me. I reminded him I was anal about my JL and that I was concerned about clips, nicks, and ALL. He said he understood, and off he went.... with a smile.

I got the JL back in 40 mins and it was spotless. Not a fingerprint on it or a foot print on the floor mat. Was just as I had given it to him...spotless/just detailed.

GM and Tech both spoke with me and shook my hand after the grill was swapped and before I drove off. I told them thank you and that I was going to be writing a letter to the dealership's owner.

The GM was terrific and really came to bat for me in regard to dealing with his Zone Rep and FCA, in getting a resolution other then painting the grill which I did not want to do. Took him a week to work things out but he did the deed. He told me he wouldn't want it painted either.

GM, told me that this new grill would hopefully not yellow before FCA came up with a grill that would not yellow. He assured me if this grill yellows (it probably will, unfortunately) that he will get me another new grill and moldings..

After this post, I will be typing up a letter to the owner of the Dealership to let her (yes, her, she owns 3 or 4 dealerships) know about my dealings with the GM and Tech and that my letter should go into their personal jackets and that the owner should praise them... give them a that-a-boy. They represented her, her dealership and FCA well.

In closing, sure glad I purchased the JL from a local little dealership!. I would have not seen this remedy with some / most of the bigger dealerships.

I fear you are going to be right back in there when this one starts to turn yellow. As far as I know nobody has determined that they changed the paint at any particular time so even a brand new one will probably do it. Hopefully I am wrong. I really think having them paint the grill is our best option other than going black.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ale214
@RogueKJ

Before I did my homework (you have not done yours) lets say I was actually thinking as you in regard to getting the grill and moldings painted... however, once I did my homework, it became very apparent that painting a vertical grill is not the best solution. Especially painting a white grill, black.

It became apparent to me it was best for me to bide my time, and find a solution that would hold me until FCA comes up with a grill that does not yellow. They will, they have to and again, they will..

You do know that once you have the grill painted you no longer have recourse with FCA in regard to the finish of the grill, right? You know the auto body shop is not going to warranty against chipping... You do realize that the stock grill is not painted, right? You do know that the grill in general, is a chip magnet and a painted grill especially is going to be problematic in regard to chips, right? You do know that a white grill painted black will, in short order, be speckled with white, thanks to rocks that chip off the black paint and revealing the white paint underneath....

To each his own. I know I and @FastDNA have done our homework and made a really good decision based on research and not out of ignorance lets say.

Yes, the white grill and molding installed today will undoubtedly yellow. Wont yellow before Fall though and then colder weather comes. Probably no yellowing til warm water comes back. So, with this said, by my getting a new grill today, I have given myself maybe a year+- window in which FCA will come up with a new version of the white grill. Since I did not opt to or make the mistake to paint the grill, I still have my warranty for the grill, and I will get the new version grill when available.

ale214

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@ale214
@RogueKJ

Before I did my homework (you have not done yours) lets say I was actually thinking as you in regard to getting the grill and moldings painted... however, once I did my homework, it became very apparent that painting a vertical grill is not the best solution. Especially painting a white grill, black.

It became apparent to me it was best for me to bide my time, and find a solution that would hold me until FCA comes up with a grill that does not yellow. They will, they have to and again, they will..

You do know that once you have the grill painted you no longer have recourse with FCA in regard to the finish of the grill, right? You know the auto body shop is not going to warranty against chipping... You do realize that the stock grill is not painted, right? You do know that the grill in general, is a chip magnet and a painted grill especially is going to be problematic in regard to chips, right? You do know that a white grill painted black will, in short order, be speckled with white, thanks to rocks that chip off the black paint and revealing the white paint underneath....

To each his own. I know I and @FastDNA have done our homework and made a really good decision based on research and not out of ignorance lets say.

Yes, the white grill and molding installed today will undoubtedly yellow. Wont yellow before Fall though and then colder weather comes. Probably no yellowing til warm water comes back. So, with this said, by my getting a new grill today, I have given myself maybe a year+- window in which FCA will come up with a new version of the white grill. Since I did not opt to or make the mistake to paint the grill, I still have my warranty for the grill, and I will get the new version grill when available.
You should relax a little. Your are correct that I have not done homework since I haven't had the issue yet. When I said black I was talking about the Mopar Satin Black Grill. When the time comes I will basically do whatever FCA and the dealer want although I will do as you mentioned before and only give them the grill. You know we are all in this together right?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
You know the auto body shop is not going to warranty against chipping... You do realize that the stock grill is not painted, right?
My stock grill was painted (now twice) and are you implying that FCA is going to warranty against chipping?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My stock grill was painted (now twice) and are you implying that FCA is going to warranty against chipping?
@jericbarg

Well, I have been pretty much told by two dealers that once painted, the painted finish on the grill would be between me and the auto body shop if there were issues. For sure the auto body shop is not going to repaint for free if it's gets chips from rocks flying up, etc. striking the grill.

If you got your grill 'painted" twice under warranty I really curious how that slid by lets say. Perhaps dealer owns the body shop and ..... Unless you are not saying they painted twice.

If you got them to paint more then once under FCA warranty, I would say this was not typical and or you were lucky.

Curious why it has been painted twice. Actually just this painting x 2 supports my posts about painted grills and chipping and why I prefer the factory grill which is not painted..

By the way, I am not being argumentative. Your grill painting x 2 under warranty is again, not at all typical or is a given.... at least that is what two dealers told me.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jericbarg

Well, I have been pretty much told by two dealers that once painted, the painted finish on the grill would be between me and the auto body shop if there were issues. For sure the auto body shop is not going to repaint for free if it's gets chips from rocks flying up, etc. striking the grill.

If you got your grill 'painted" twice under warranty I really curious how that slid by lets say. Perhaps dealer owns the body shop and ..... Unless you are not saying they painted twice.

If you got them to paint more then once under FCA warranty, I would say this was not typical and or you were lucky.

Curious why it has been painted twice. Actually just this painting x 2 supports my posts about painted grills and chipping and why I prefer the factory grill which is not painted..

By the way, I am not being argumentative. Your grill painting x 2 under warranty is again, not at all typical or is a given.... at least that is what two dealers told me.
It is painted from the factory, second painting was at the dealer under warranty to correct yellowing paint.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jebiruph

You tell me.. the grill that came on your JL from the factory, it is painted just like the auto body shop painted it for you locally? My factory grill is not painted like that..

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jebiruph

You tell me.. the grill that came on your JL from the factory, it is painted just like the auto body shop painted it for you locally? My factory grill is not painted like that..
Yes. The back of my factory grill is black just like the replacement grill (68316767AC) I ordered as a temporary replacement while mine was at the dealer getting repainted.

Here's the original
original grill.jpg

Repainted
original grill repaint 1.jpg

68316767AC wrapped with 3M white vinyl.
wrapped grill.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does LOL still mean laugh out loud? I'm not sure what was amusing about my post. I mentioned the back of the factory grill being black as evidence that the front is painted white and it is not white plastic.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad the grill is not metal, then it could be powdercoated.
Sponsored