'18 JL Sport and Mopar LED upgrade

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
So I just installed the OEM LED headlights today during my lunch break. Took 40 mins all in including removing the grille. Super simple and super awesome BUT no Halos and not sure if high beams are functioning properly.

The halos I sorta understand as it may need programming but the high beams are strange. They work great for distance but I seem to not have any lower portion if that makes sense. And I'm not just talking about the fogs going off.

Very interested in hearing from anyone else who has done this on a sport. I'd also love to see working LEDs from the front and on a wall with reg/high beams.
The same thing is happening with the high beams on mine Iā€™m thinking they probably just need to be adjusted down a bit. There are a couple adjustment screws plastic and bright green still trying to figure out if Iā€™m going to have to pull the harness apart or find an adapter.
Sponsored

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I donā€™t know if this will help anyone but check out http://connectors.dcctools.com for info on wiring
I found the connection even shows the diagram and that the fifth prong is for park lights so I took the part number and called Mopar they said that part number is for a vehicle from 2012 to 2013 they didnā€™t have any more information than that and they couldnā€™t physically look at one for me and weā€™re basically no help at all

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
So I just installed the OEM LED headlights today during my lunch break. Took 40 mins all in including removing the grille. Super simple and super awesome BUT no Halos and not sure if high beams are functioning properly.

The halos I sorta understand as it may need programming but the high beams are strange. They work great for distance but I seem to not have any lower portion if that makes sense. And I'm not just talking about the fogs going off.

Very interested in hearing from anyone else who has done this on a sport. I'd also love to see working LEDs from the front and on a wall with reg/high beams.
Would you be able to post some pics of the installed OEM LEDs, both on and off? Curious to see what it looks like installed on a Sport S. Thanks in advance!

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
The same thing is happening with the high beams on mine Iā€™m thinking they probably just need to be adjusted down a bit. There are a couple adjustment screws plastic and bright green still trying to figure out if Iā€™m going to have to pull the harness apart or find an adapter.
I have tried the high beams against the wall and compared to a JLUR with high beams against the wall. I can confirm that in my case:

1) The low beams are turning off when I turn on the high beams and this should not happen.
2) Both the low and high are on for a split second as it switches from low to high.

i'm no mechanic but this makes me think it has something to do with the switch. Perhaps its a setting or perhaps you need a different switch for it to function properly.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Would you be able to post some pics of the installed OEM LEDs, both on and off? Curious to see what it looks like installed on a Sport S. Thanks in advance!
Sure.

Here is LEDs off:

oem leds off.jpg

Here is LEDs on before I got the switchback fender lights:

oem leds on regular markers.jpg

Here is the LEDs on with LED switchback fender lights (they blink amber when the turn signal is on)

oem leds on switchback markers.jpg

Sponsored

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I have tried the high beams against the wall and compared to a JLUR with high beams against the wall. I can confirm that in my case:

1) The low beams are turning off when I turn on the high beams and this should not happen.
2) Both the low and high are on for a split second as it switches from low to high.

i'm no mechanic but this makes me think it has something to do with the switch. Perhaps its a setting or perhaps you need a different switch for it to function properly.
Thatā€™s weird I just assumed that the high beam was something mechanical directing all the light through the projector instead of splitting it and bouncing some of it off the reflective part of the housing

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Sure.

Here is LEDs off:

oem leds off.jpg

Here is LEDs on before I got the switchback fender lights:

oem leds on regular markers.jpg

Here is the LEDs on with LED switchback fender lights (they blink amber when the turn signal is on)

oem leds on switchback markers.jpg
That looks awesome, thanks for posting!

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Thatā€™s weird I just assumed that the high beam was something mechanical directing all the light through the projector instead of splitting it and bouncing some of it off the reflective part of the housing
Please try it yourself from about 6ft from a wall. Perhaps it is just an adjustment of some kind but I get a line where everything below the line is low beams and everything above.the line is high.

With a JLUR low is the same and you get below AND above when high bes are on.

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
Please try it yourself from about 6ft from a wall. Perhaps it is just an adjustment of some kind but I get a line where everything below the line is low beams and everything above.the line is high.

With a JLUR low is the same and you get below AND above when high bes are on.
That makes sense hopefully Jeep will just come out with a harness soon, Iā€™m already dealing with the dealership and sent a pm to Jeep cares about the steering issue next time Iā€™m at the dealer I might just see if they will sell me the harness for the Jeep side that comes on the rubicon with led maybe that will solve it. I should at least be able to get the halos working that way. Either way we know there should be a solution itā€™s just a matter of time a lot of people are going to be tryin to get these take offs to work so either Mopar will offer a soloution (whatever they use in the kit) or the aftermarket will solve it, whoever wants my money more I suppose..

Sponsored

the doctor

First Name
Ahitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
I got some take off leds already for $450 they work fine apart from the halos. I called Mopar to see if they sold the harness from that kit separately and they said they donā€™t so Iā€™m just going to try and add a connection to the factory one I guess.
Where you found them?

dwc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Unfortunately NO - and very frustrated about it.... just yesterday I took my JLU in to the dealer for the recall fix on the cruise control. I asked if they were going to use their witech device to do that and they said YES. So I printed out the instructions from this Forum that someone posted about putting in the DTR "Code" to turn them on and asked if they could try it - they said sure and even said it would be no charge if they were successful. Then what happened according to the mechanic was that the process involved connecting to the Chrysler main frame computer and that they got a message back saying it was not an option on this vehicle and blocked the download/transfer of the enabling code to my Jeep's computer. Totally sucks.

Something else I have learned about this is that the JL's such as ours without the LED lights have a single halogen socket with a orange dual filament bulb. The LED version has 2 LED light bulbs - one white and one yellow.... so I tried the switchback LED bulb and it worked, to give the white lens a white color when the parking lights or headlights are on so as to look like you have DTR's but ended up taking it out because the load resistors you have to use to stop the hyper blink get so damn hot I was afraid it would actually melt through the fender. Don't think it's safe etc.

I think the next thing I will try is buying the high rise fenders that are coming out in July - they say that they are equiped with the LED lights, so will see if that can be wired up somehow from the existing harness - should work with the wires as they are but may have to wire the DTR white light into one of the AUX bank's switches. Good luck on your's, let me know if you figure something out on your end.
Hey Guys, I have a new update for you on getting your Daytime Running Lights for JLU Sport S with halogen lighting turned on. I bought the Z-Automotive JL Tazer programming unit recently to reset my speedometer after changing tires up to a 33.5 diameter and this thing is so cool! I found out it also allows the user to ENABLE always on DTR's on my jeep! It even gives you a selection of which lights to use, such as turn signals (which is the one I chose), fog lights, high or low beam headllights and if you chose low beams, it turns them on (without tail lights involved) but at about half power to serve as the DTR. Very cool! Who needs a dealer lol - this thing does it all and after getting one, I would highly recommend it to anyone doing mods on their JL Unlimited Sport S. Does a ton of other stuff too such as turning off that pesky start stop crap. Love it!!

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
Hey Guys, I have a new update for you on getting your Daytime Running Lights for JLU Sport S with halogen lighting turned on. I bought the Z-Automotive JL Tazer programming unit recently to reset my speedometer after changing tires up to a 33.5 diameter and this thing is so cool! I found out it also allows the user to ENABLE always on DTR's on my jeep! It even gives you a selection of which lights to use, such as turn signals (which is the one I chose), fog lights, high or low beam headllights and if you chose low beams, it turns them on (without tail lights involved) but at about half power to serve as the DTR. Very cool! Who needs a dealer lol - this thing does it all and after getting one, I would highly recommend it to anyone doing mods on their JL Unlimited Sport S. Does a ton of other stuff too such as turning off that pesky start stop crap. Love it!!
Do you know if it works on a sport without automatic lights?

dwc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Do you know if it works on a sport without automatic lights?
Don't know for sure, because mine is a Sport-S and does have automatic lights which is selectible by a rotating switch, but I would speculate that it would work since the switch is just an extra piece of electronics in the same circuit. Contact Z-Automotive and ask before you buy it to be sure.
Sponsored