Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
@stuckinohio

Well, no way with the tether that is on there that you can hang over the door as you mention.

You could pretty easily alter / change the tether so you could do this.

Also, you could perhaps come up with a hook of sorts you could install in the cavity where the cap resides.

Another option... you could remove the tether altogether.. not recommending this but it is an alternative.
Mine can hang over the door. Unless the aftermarket setup is different, but it is Mopar. Since the cap is plastic is there any real problem with it hanging against the body?
yWG1j0huQ+a7Xm1Ai62b9Q.jpg

lGrfhj2VTkqU97DzsBavpA.jpg
Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
I don't like the idea of anything contacting the paint if it doesn't have to! Even though it's plastic it'll still scratch or wear down the paint at some point I would assume.

I guess it's as Jeep thing? Not for me if I don't have to.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like the idea of anything contacting the paint if it doesn't have to! Even though it's plastic it'll still scratch or wear down the paint at some point I would assume.

I guess it's as Jeep thing? Not for me if I don't have to.
Understood.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Where did you find the little black hook?
I buy them by the bag. $2.97 for a bag of 25 at amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MN2QHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

After snip:
pppp.jpg

Took a small scissor and easily snipped part of the black plastic clip off (see pic) and then cut a small V in the plastic where the tether will lie, so it captures the tether better. Did easily with the same scissor.

I removed the cheapie double-sided tape that comes with the clip and replaced that tape with a piece of Command Strip. Command Strip (double sided) really holds. I did hit the white edges of the Command Strip with a black sharpie, just to assure I would see no white edges after install of the clip.

I figured out where I wanted it on the fuel door and made sure the door would still close fully, then applied.

Little project took all of what 12 minutes to do.

Went and purchased gasoline today. The little hook works great! Just have to maneuver the rubber splash guard on the gas hose as I inserted the nozzle... maneuvered so it slid past the hanging gas cap. Was easy to do.

Can say, I too do not like laying the gas cap against my paint.... so this clip is something I will keep using.

By the wa,y the little black clips come in real handy. The double sided tape is decent on them but for this application I decided Command Strip was best used. Command Strips deal with water, dampness, roughness well.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I buy them by the bag. $2.97 for a bag of 25 at amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MN2QHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

After snip:
pppp.jpg

Took a small scissor and easily snipped part of the black plastic clip off (see pic) and then cut a small V in the plastic where the tether will lie, so it captures the tether better. Did easily with the same scissor.

I removed the cheapie double-sided tape that comes with the clip and replaced that tape with a piece of Command Strip. Command Strip (double sided) really holds. I did hit the white edges of the Command Strip with a black sharpie, just to assure I would see no white edges after install of the clip.

I figured out where I wanted it on the fuel door and made sure the door would still close fully, then applied.

Little project took all of what 12 minutes to do.

Went and purchased gasoline today. The little hook works great! Just have to maneuver the rubber splash guard on the gas hose as I inserted the nozzle... maneuvered so it slid past the hanging gas cap. Was easy to do.

Can say, I too do not like laying the gas cap against my paint.... so this clip is something I will keep using.

By the wa,y the little black clips come in real handy. The double sided tape is decent on them but for this application I decided Command Strip was best used. Command Strips deal with water, dampness, roughness well.

Thanks

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
F6D71122-DC47-4F88-9711-DCD2A554532F.jpeg
F6D71122-DC47-4F88-9711-DCD2A554532F.jpeg
I put on the Mopar locking gas cap. The plastic tether that came on it broke in minutes. A piece on crap. The cap is good. So I used the tether off of the factor cap. Just drilled a hole in the side. Again I just lay it over the lid.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@klhjeep2018

Yup, I can do with stock tether it turns out.. BUT, I do not want the cap against the paint.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_4980_zpspxqznvsd.jpg

I just purchased the Mopar Gas Door as well. Very excited about putting this on. The description said it was chrome but it is more stainless steel.

My vehicle doesn't arrive for another month, but I have started to purchase a few items.

P.S. Will be installed on a Granite Sahara. Purchased on eBay for $139 including free shipping.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for this idea. Made my own out of some heat formable black plastic I had around the garage for other uses. I'm gonna get gas with it and see how I like the placement then move it if need be or get/make a longer tether.

This fuel door was super easy to install. This Jeep is sorta like a toy truck or kit vehicle. It's so easy to change stuff out so far!

20180729_124329.jpg

20180729_124347.jpg

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I tried to install a new gas cap today but couldn't get the original off. It has two clamps that hard to get to. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I just pulled hard and it finally popped out

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@stuckinohio

Just came up with a small, black plastic, stick on, sturdy, hook to hold the gas cap when it is removed. It looks aok.
Will let you know after a couple of stops at the gas station if it does the job aok..

View attachment 69706
02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg
On edit 10/20:
Well, it has been about two YEARS since I placed the plastic gas cap hook on my JL's fuel door.

Just wanted to give an update. Anyway, it has worked out really well! I have grown so used to it.

It is second nature for me now, to hang the gas cap on the hook, and then when I bring the gas pump nozzle toward the fuel door, I take my free hand and fold back, the rubber splash guard on the fuel handle so I can easily insert the nozzle without touching the fuel cap that is hanging on the fuel door.

In closing, tried and tested... if you don't like having the fuel cap/gas drips from same lying against your JL's paint, this mod works to prevent same. And a mod that cost less then 16 cents...

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Fuel Door Install / Video 01
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited: