Sponsored

How does the JL's Hard Top removal work

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My guess is there are more attachment points at the sport bar. Think about how much that thing would flex/ tweak otherwise.
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
True. I just figured they would address the wiring as they do now for the rear wiper. Unplug it. I just keep looking at the brochure and noting how they specifically mention easier to remove 3-piece vs removeable rear panels on the sliding top. I am betting it won't be removeable. Even the brochure shows the b-pillar, seats, and interior of the JL, making one think this is a cutaway shot and even JEEP doesn't have a sliding hard top sitting off a JL for pics.
But the roll cage is on the power top model still. So you think it has to be installed on a standard JL tub with cage.

I think it's like the seats. They aren't "removable" bu they can be removed.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
But the roll cage is on the power top model still. So you think it has to be installed on a standard JL tub with cage.
No. Sorry not trying to say that.
Just saying I think, using multiple lines of evidence (brochure shows pic of sliding top with interior included-why not just the top) it is not removeable. I am just giving my perceptions. Either way I don't care honestly cause I am definitely NOT getting that top lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Other than making the hard top even more of a pain in the ass to remove.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I doubt that it's permanently attached. But it likely isn't meant to come off, and Jeep won't provide a method of removing the top. And would probably void warranties at least, even if it didn't cause other issues (electrical, etc).

Jmo

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Just what I said way back originally, going by what I believe Jay said about it. Given the info discussed here, it appears it may be. I still hold it will likely be a huge PITA. But lastly I am bowing out of this convo cause I don't care and don't want to sway anyone either way with just opinions.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that the hard top will offer this down the road, as they will need to offer new features on the platform each year to make the newer models different.

They could still use the same attachment points to the body as on the current 3pc hard top but just make a inset panel pop out leaving a thin frame. it would make the rear 3rd piece lighter to lift since it would take out the glass, and also allow people to pop the front panels, and rear windows to give a open air feel without fully taking off the top.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I would think--I could be entirely wrong--that the power soft top, if available to both the Sahara and Rubicon lines, would sell more with the "Sahara driving, more likely to use their Jeep to buy trail mix at the mall, than navigate a trail" crowd.

The Rubicon trail dri
It would be interesting at some point down the road, to have available hard panels that fit in place of the power sliding top section. Then you could have a truly modular hardtop, kind of like some of the modular hardtops we saw earlier this year in drawings/animations. In this case the hardtop upper panels could be removed, along with rear and rear-side panels if desired. That could all easily be done by one person. And then if desired, the user could also remove the remaining hardtop frame, for a full open top experience. Although probably leaving the frame on will be ok for many persons, as that would give a decent open top experience. I originally thought based on earlier mockups, that Jeep was headed this direction for a modular hardtop.
i agree
It would be interesting at some point down the road, to have available hard panels that fit in place of the power sliding top section. Then you could have a truly modular hardtop, kind of like some of the modular hardtops we saw earlier this year in drawings/animations. In this case the hardtop upper panels could be removed, along with rear and rear-side panels if desired. That could all easily be done by one person. And then if desired, the user could also remove the remaining hardtop frame, for a full open top experience. Although probably leaving the frame on will be ok for many persons, as that would give a decent open top experience. I originally thought based on earlier mockups, that Jeep was headed this direction for a modular hardtop.
I agree. But then FCA would have to create and name a technology.

What on earth would they call it? Something silly like “MySky?” (Wink)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

I agree. The side rear windows in the JK served as an attachment for the hardtop connected to them.

Why can’t the hardtop connect only to the sports bar like for the new power top?

And why couldn’t they have made a hardtop with MySky so that you would not have to leave the top Home or connected if rain where expected.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Rubicon
So you could conceivably do some funky stuff here. Have the hard top on, get half doors, remove the rear side panels of the hard top, remove the glass from the rear and have sort of a flat top concept.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah. Nice looking ride for sure. Jeep is giving us more options than I can wrap my head around with the JL.

Or even this look:

jeep-chief-3.jpg
Sponsored