Sponsored

How does the JL's Hard Top removal work

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
There is one reason I can think of. Now is it a "good" enough reason? I don't know. And this is based on what I know of the JK top. I haven't been able to tell yet if it's the same or similar on the JL.

But on the JK, the sides are where the bolts are to secure the top onto the tub. If they were removed then there would be no connection there to the vehicle. Now dies the JL have another location on the rear curve to place a bolt? Don't know. If not and it's similar to the JK, there's a reason.

However, as I understand it currently, the theory is the hard framework of the sliding top is not removeable. So it must be attached in that rear curve location. How it's done can be the difference in the 3-piece allowing for removeable sides.
Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Or at least have the section over the rear seats in a JLU removable. So the remaining portion isn’t sooo bulky.

But yeah, removable sides and rear would be amazing and put to rest all indecision’s I am currently having on which top to get with my JLU.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I wasn't able to definitively see the bolts. But maybe I am old lol. Are they right there on the little lip that seems to be sticking forward on the portion of the top touching the tub? Right where the guy in the black sweater is touching that area towards the end of the video?

If this is correct, yeah, no good reason the 3-piece top couldn't have this feature. NOW knowing FCA, a reason, not good to the consumer, but likely good for FCA, is they want to sway buyers to this top for a much heftier upcharge than the other hard top. Possibly then later add this feature to the 3-piece top in a future refresh.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Yeah for sure the sliding top will have more locations securing it towards the front. The 3-piece also has a bolt on the b-pillar. I can't imagine one wanting to take off the sliding top, if it is able to be done. That thing will be awkwardly long and heavy to handle, I think.

Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Could have something to do with where ever the motor may be and how it is wired to the sliding top preventing us from removing it

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Structural integrity is my guess. Also would be more difficult to make the entire top removable.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Could have something to do with where ever the motor may be and how it is wired to the sliding top preventing us from removing it
True. I just figured they would address the wiring as they do now for the rear wiper. Unplug it. I just keep looking at the brochure and noting how they specifically mention easier to remove 3-piece vs removeable rear panels on the sliding top. I am betting it won't be removeable. Even the brochure shows the b-pillar, seats, and interior of the JL, making one think this is a cutaway shot and even JEEP doesn't have a sliding hard top sitting off a JL for pics.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I wasn't able to definitively see the bolts. But maybe I am old lol. Are they right there on the little lip that seems to be sticking forward on the portion of the top touching the tub? Right where the guy in the black sweater is touching that area towards the end of the video?
?

backupPreview.png

5b22e925-65af-46d1-82be-90c2b8388e24.png

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Think those could be the bottom mounts for the window panels. The rubber one at the door opening too. The rear one may have a centering peg to mount to?
Sponsored