[FIXED] Annoying vibration/rattle from driver dash area

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Before anyone attacks me, yes, I know it's a Jeep. I know it will develop MANY rattles over time, especially after being off-road.

With that out of the way, the damn thing is brand spanking new and this particular rattle is maddening. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the A/C vent by the driver's door. It's not the speaker, because it happens when the radio is off. It's not the OBDII programming wires, either, as mine are plugged into a Tazer JL bypass, wrapped in foam, and tightly velcro'd behind my kick plate. (I redid the foam and velcro just to be certain.)

It only happens at 45+ MPH, and I can obviously only hear it with the top up and radio off or on a talk station.

Anyone else have this particular rattle? Anyone know how to diagnose the cause?
Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I had a rattle at the same speed, but it was from the passenger side. It was the antenna rattling. If you are 100% sure it is from the driver side, obviously that doesn't help, but I thought I would mention it just in case. I swapped out to a shorter antenna and have not had rattling since.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will check both items. Thanks!

Pinpointing even the general direction a sound is coming from is difficult. (I always look at the are where I think the sound is, as if that will help. Heh.)

Wade Wilson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 Willys PU, 2006 TJ, 2014 JKU, 2018 JLU Sahara
Before anyone attacks me, yes, I know it's a Jeep. I know it will develop MANY rattles over time, especially after being off-road.

With that out of the way, the damn thing is brand spanking new and this particular rattle is maddening. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the A/C vent by the driver's door. It's not the speaker, because it happens when the radio is off. It's not the OBDII programming wires, either, as mine are plugged into a Tazer JL bypass, wrapped in foam, and tightly velcro'd behind my kick plate. (I redid the foam and velcro just to be certain.)

It only happens at 45+ MPH, and I can obviously only hear it with the top up and radio off or on a talk station.

My my dash rattles like crazy, It looks like the whole leather covered top comes off, I'm going to look into padding it...............It is maddening!

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Negative on antenna and visor. It’s definitely coming from area near the dash speaker or vent. Only happens at highway speed, and is more noticeable when radio is off.

Oh, well. I’m not so bothered that I want to take my dash apart. I’m sure this is just the first of many rattles to develop over time.

Moniz81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL & 2018 Jeep Compass
Negative on antenna and visor. It’s definitely coming from area near the dash speaker or vent. Only happens at highway speed, and is more noticeable when radio is off.

Oh, well. I’m not so bothered that I want to take my dash apart. I’m sure this is just the first of many rattles to develop over time.
I have the same rattle and was thinking it sounds like a loose screw or something under the dash. It’s only really noticeable on a bumpy road but it’s getting really annoying for a 1 month old $40k vehicle!

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same rattle and was thinking it sounds like a loose screw or something under the dash. It’s only really noticeable on a bumpy road but it’s getting really annoying for a 1 month old $40k vehicle!
So this is interesting - my noise went away. I wonder if it’s only there at certain temps/humidity levels. I guess I’ll find out if it ever cools off around here, again.

Moniz81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL & 2018 Jeep Compass
Update - I think I figured it out! My drivers sun visor was causing the rattle. I don’t think it was latched correctly and I haven’t used it besides folding down a little to unlatch the tops. I was driving down a bumpy road with the radio off leaning into the windshield and realized it was coming from the top of the windshield not the bottom. I folded the visor all the way down and back and it seemed to click into place. As simple as it sounds, I feel stupid now as the rattle went away.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Update - I think I figured it out! My drivers sun visor was causing the rattle. I don’t think it was latched correctly and I haven’t used it besides folding down a little to unlatch the tops. I was driving down a bumpy road with the radio off leaning into the windshield and realized it was coming from the top of the windshield not the bottom. I folded the visor all the way down and back and it seemed to click into place. As simple as it sounds, I feel stupid now as the rattle went away.
It is so hard to tell where the noises are coming from. I am glad it was an easy fix.

Sponsored

LabRat

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR, 2017 Indian Springfield

I have a rattle from the drivers right side vent area. It is intermittent and happens with or without the radio being on. It will occur even when I am at a full stop with the engine on. I tried having the dealer fix it but it stopped on the way there. They did say to come back when it did it again without having to have an appointment. I have been too busy to follow-up with work and stuff. I would really like to figure this out.

It is the only issue I have had with my granite JLUR.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Annoying rattle, vibration from center console. Thought it may have been the A/C fins. Must be from underneath the dash. Very annoying!

LabRat

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR, 2017 Indian Springfield
Annoying rattle, vibration from center console. Thought it may have been the A/C fins. Must be from underneath the dash. Very annoying!
So after reading Moniz81's post I have tried to determine if my visor was also causing this rattle. It totally sounds like the rattle is coming from the dash but it completely stops when you put pressure on the driver's sun visor. Very strange acoustic effect. I will keep monitoring and see what I can do stop the rattling of the visor. Hopefully, I have narrowed it down correctly.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Check behind visor under freedom pan latch...had annoying rattle...found a loose washer shaking. Took forever to find that! Sounded like it was coming from the center console, but maybe the windshield and visor deflected the sound.

20180905_180710.jpg

Lizzie

First Name
Lizzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Hi I need help! I had bought a Compass and with in the first month the car had four different issues. They ended up taking the car back however with them doing that the agreement was that I would have to purchase a car off their lot! I ended up getting a 2018 jeep grand Cherokee. Within the last two weeks there’s been a crazy noise in the dash. I’ve read all of the posts and I will try them tomorrow morning however, do you not recommend taking it to the dealer? I’m a little disappointed I have owned Lexus Toyota Ford and I have never had this issue before! I honestly feel the purchasing a jeep was the biggest mistake I could’ve made!
Sponsored