Jeepin' the dream.

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
I've not noticed the hood holding water. You mean the vents, right? I've seen no issue there.
No, not the vents...in the middle, between the vents, towards the front, there is that dip, it looks like water will sit there and evaporate if you dont wipe it down.(you can see it in one of chevymitchell's pictures, it kept more dirt) Well , I could be mistaken, but wait for some rain and let me know. haha, I hope not.
Sponsored

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
Lowering the windshield is a Safari option. You don't really lower it for going through mud and water. Even at 5 mph, you'll throw water and mud up over the hood and onto your windshield. It was nice to cruise with it down at altitude and let that cold air hit you right in the face. I wouldn't remove it because you definitely need the option to close it quickly if someone else is coming your way throwing mud or dust. It's quick to just hop out and close it quick, then lower it back down once they pass.

I haven't had any water issues either. There are small holes in the vents for drains.
Quickly? I just imagined you jumping out the jeep, like you are on a daytona track,screwing it back together, putting the roofpanels back on, in 16 seconds flat, cause there is a car coming lol. But I get what you are saying..safari mode, beach, no mud.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
No, not the vents...in the middle, between the vents, towards the front, there is that dip, it looks like water will sit there and evaporate if you dont wipe it down.(you can see it in one of chevymitchell's pictures, it kept more dirt) Well , I could be mistaken, but wait for some rain and let me know. haha, I hope not.
I've not seen that happen, at all.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This thread is awesome, thanks for taking the time to post all the great pics! Looking forward to the rest.
Youā€™re very welcome. The MOAB portion of the trip is being figured out this week. Gotta figure out the logistics between work and play and home life. Lol. Thank you!

Sponsored

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
@chevymitchell Awesome pics! We're heading to Ouray this weekend and will be in CO for 12 days. Is your JLUR stock? Ours is, and we've never been to CO before, so trying to figure out which trails on the Alpine loop we should stay away from without larger tires or a lift. We're also new(ish) Jeep owners, so still learning the limits of the vehicle.

Safe travels through the rest of your trip and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell Awesome pics! We're heading to Ouray this weekend and will be in CO for 12 days. Is your JLUR stock? Ours is, and we've never been to CO before, so trying to figure out which trails on the Alpine loop we should stay away from without larger tires or a lift. We're also new(ish) Jeep owners, so still learning the limits of the vehicle.

Safe travels through the rest of your trip and thanks for sharing!
Thank you!

Thatā€™s awesome youā€™re headed out there. My JL is stock and had zero issues. The only trail I would stay away from is Poughkeepsie Gulch, but it may still be closed, anyway. Check with the San Juan County website to see the current status of the fire closures. Definitely do all the trails you can, your Jeep can do them all. Have a full tank of fuel. Engineering Pass to Lake City is 5 hours or more and then another 5 hours to get back to 550. Imogene through Ophir was open. Take the time to check out the Bridal falls in Telluride and the Box Canyon in Ouray. You wonā€™t have anything to worry about when it comes to your Jeep. Just be careful as most of the trails are pretty dangerous if you make a mistake. Itā€™s a long way down. Lol. Donā€™t use your front locker unless you absolutely have to. There isnā€™t any sections where I used it out of necessity. I used it mainly to play around.

Have an awesome time! Youā€™ll love the scenery.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell, did you air down your tires while doing the Ouray area trails or just maintain standard tire pressure?
@Rubidouxit - I aired down to 20 psi for all the trails. I usually air down for every trail simply because a tight sidewall is a disaster waiting to happen with any kind of rocks and honestly, I mainly had my kidneys in mind. It makes for such a smooth ride at 20 psi. I'd go lower to about 15 psi for rock crawling, but the trails in the Ouray/Telluride area don't really have a lot of rock crawling per say.

You'll thank yourself for the extra traction with some of the inclines and declines you'll experience out there. There's one gas station in Ouray I used to air my tires back up, but they didn't have a filter on the airline because it was like a water hose instead of an air hose.

I have my own pump now. It's slow, but it'll do until the ARB under seat mount comes out for the JL. I had one in my JK and worked amazingly.

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
ok..so you guys think people would take the windshield off completely on the trail to gain that visibility? it is just two more screws.(am I right on that)
I bought a 1ā€ tie-down - looped through the rests on the hood and around the windshield. Drove around a bit, maybe up to 45, and it was a blast!
I did notice the upper corners of the windshield made an odd line in front of me, and changed my location perspective - seemed like the Jeep was 10ā€™ wide. Iā€™m 5ā€™10ā€, so maybe if I sat a bit higher I could have seen the actual hood line.
For tight wheeling, I wouldnā€™t mind removing altogether, if I had some way to safely store.

0C97D87A-3525-4BBC-86AE-4531F8076923.jpeg

Sponsored

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome trips, man! We just got back from Lake City/Lake San Cristobal on Jun 10th. We rented a JK Rubi since we donā€™t have one just yet. This is the reason Iā€™ve wanted one forever.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
This is what dreams are made of ENJOY.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Awesome trips, man! We just got back from Lake City/Lake San Cristobal on Jun 10th. We rented a JK Rubi since we donā€™t have one just yet. This is the reason Iā€™ve wanted one forever.
Itā€™s such an addiction!

Iā€™m flying out of DFW now. My company is based out of Mineral Wells, Tx, so I make my way down here every once in a while.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Imogene Pass is on my bucket list.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good morning,

I've got my next leg of the trip planned out. I updated the OP with the dates and locations.

My girl and I will be flying out to Denver next Wednesday and then driving to Grand Junction, CO to get the JL out of storage. On the morning of the 27 we'll head out to Moab. The plan is to hit up as many trails as we can for 2 days, hit up the 4 corners monument, head to the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and then end up in Vegas where I'll store the JL again.

I'll upload a ton of pics, of course. If any of you are going to be around Moab during July 28-29, hit me up. I'd love to wheel with some JL Forum members.

Thank you!
Sponsored