Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
The sport bar is dead. Chrysler -before FCA- had to get an exemption from the govt to have the sport bar design as it was. That exemption no longer exists due to tightening regulations from NHTSA.
Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
The sport bar is dead. Chrysler -before FCA- had to get an exemption from the govt to have the sport bar design as it was. That exemption no longer exists due to tightening regulations from NHTSA.
I understand. But whatever replaces it I would like 'sport bar' look.

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
If nothing else this will make removing cracked windshields a lot easier. I'll say this - it will be a strange look if the pillars and roof structure is fixed. I get that this could be the "compromise" Jeep is going for but anyone folding the windshield down clearly wants total open air feel.

I'm hoping the grab handles are an option since this is a Sahara. I'd like the choice of a much smaller one or removed altogether.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
I too like the sport bar look. After all, that is one of the unique design features that is readily identified as a "jeep".
That being said, if the removable roof and side rear window panels are easy to remove, allows for the same open air driving feeling, and seal well / have no problems... I would be satisfied.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Its going to have a frame running inline with the A & B pillars all around.

jk-cage-high_xl.jpg

Think full roll cage. As this will be the mounting structure for the roof and everything above the belt line.

Anyone hoping for this affect:

willys-mb-7.jpg

Its not going to be possible.

Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order

jk-cage-high_xl.jpg

Think full roll cage. As this will be the mounting structure for the roof and everything above the belt line.

Anyone hoping for this affect:

willys-mb-7.jpg

Its not going to be possible.
i thought there will be a soft top option?

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ

jk-cage-high_xl.jpg

I've heard this too and I bet that windshield glass just pops down and the pillar frame stays. Otherwise you're looking at either a fixed roof or no rearview mirror (both of which are not likely).

Personally I would be ok with the roll cage. It's not much different than the current sport bar and will make the roof lighter and easier to remove. Question is if the roll cage would be for both soft and hard top..

Wagler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Altitude 2013 Yamaha FZ8
All 2018 and forward vehicles are required to have backup cameras so it's no surprise.

I'm not sure what the big issue is with the running boards. They look fine for factory ones to me. I'll probably swap them for steel side armor that actually protects the jeep.

I'm not sure if you need to wait 5 years for them to work out the kinks. We're all in trouble if it takes them that long lol. By that point there's probably going to be new engines and new kinks to work out.
Backup camera law is dumb and so is FCA if it gets mounted to the spare. Many other places to mount (several of which would be obstructed by the curtains).

The running boards are...well...running boards. It's a Jeep, not a VanDura! For the love of Bantam. Seriously, those things are hideous.

On the 5 year wait...it took about that long to get a good interior in the JK, as well as replace the 3.8L minivan engine with the pentastar. Both worth waiting for. The JL will evolve after a few years. To each their own.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's a cool new design but only useful on the trails since driving around without a windshield is just not safe or practical. I hope they've put as much work into this as they have making sure the roof comes off easier because that is a feature I would actually use.
It's not made to drive around town or highways folded down. But anyone who hasn't tried off roading with windshield down is missing out! That's true open air Jeeping. The air, dirt, mud, bugs, whatever hitting you directly in the face adds so much to the experience. It's like open top + doorless driving on steroids :) So like others here I hope they make it easier to fold up and down. It would add a lot to owner's experiences and give the Wrangler even more utility.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The framing is similar to the sports bar.
I hope the first bar doesn't keep hitting the back of my head like in the JK ! Make more leg and headroom for us tall people please !

Think of how many pro athletes want to buy these and drive them with the seat all the way back so their legs are comfortable. Well in the JK, the first bar connecting the two B-pillars is placed too low and too forward where the back of my head hits it in a terribly uncomfortable way.

Since NBA star Paul George was used in an ad campaign, bring him in and let him help make the ergonomics better for us tall people !

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

The framing is similar to the sports bar.
This makes me happy! Much happier than if we were going to get some kind of thicker roof structure.