Sponsored

Anyone else go for the Rubicon over Sport S....just because?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey,

Dealer is willing to do $34.7k on a Sport S unlimited (msrp $39.7k), and $44k on a Rubicon unlimited (msrp of $50.5k).

My rig will not be taken off-road (but if it does happen very very easy trails...dirt roads with ruts). I plan on a 2" lift, 35s (I'm aware the Rubi doesn't need a lift for 35s).

The Sport S fits my needs....but I can't be the only one who opted for the Rubicon. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not putting myself in an additional 10k in debt. :)

I know there's a few threads comparing the resale value of the Sport S vs the Rubicon. Doesn't bother me because they both will hold their value very well.

This is a silly post, but I can't be the only one in this predicament. I'm hoping someone can share a few clever reasons why they opted for the Rubicon over the Sport S....maybe it will help me feel better about it. My goal is to make a decision by tomorrow.

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I actually ordered a 2 door rubicon and am trading in my 4 door Sport S. I realized for the upgrades I wanted to do to the sport s (LED lights, soft top, (I already added rubicon wheels and suspension), and others that I would get more bang for my buck by getting the rubicon. Plus the rubicon comes with the 4.10 axle which should help with the 35" tires and bigger brakes. It also looks like yours already has the LED package and steel bumper.

If I were you I would figure out the price of each given any current and future upgrades you would want to do to them, and then see which one offers the better price in the long run.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Hey,

Dealer is willing to do $34.7k on a Sport S unlimited (msrp $39.7k), and $44k on a Rubicon unlimited (msrp of $50.5k).

My rig will not be taken off-road (but if it does happen very very easy trails...dirt roads with ruts). I plan on a 2" lift, 35s (I'm aware the Rubi doesn't need a lift for 35s).

The Sport S fits my needs....but I can't be the only one who opted for the Rubicon. I feel like I'm missing out on something by not putting myself in an additional 10k in debt. :)

I know there's a few threads comparing the resale value of the Sport S vs the Rubicon. Doesn't bother me because they both will hold their value very well.

This is a silly post, but I can't be the only one in this predicament. I'm hoping someone can share a few clever reasons why they opted for the Rubicon over the Sport S....maybe it will help me feel better about it. My goal is to make a decision by tomorrow.

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
The easiest way to fix this is how I always approach things in life whether it be a job, house or car. "If it doesn't feel absolutely perfect, then don't do it". Sometimes you have to listen to your inner voice.

I opted for the Sport S and building it up as I go with the stuff I want and need. Absolutely nothing that I don't. (I like you, won't be using the Rubicon axles, and low gears which is why I didn't get it). Everyone has a reason and this is a good thread to gather your own hypothesis. Good luck!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've owned ONLY RUBICONS and I haven't had any regrets, especially with value retention--

Of course I've modified them extensively, but not the drive train, except I've changed DIFF. gears several times--

Always ready for an off-road "SITUATION"-

Purely INDIVIDUAL DECISION-

W.E.

JIMBO

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

thanks

stingray gray.JPG

silver.JPG
I would guess it would depend on what niceties on the Rubicon would make it worth the extra price to you. Also if you're planning on 35" tires the 4.10 axles would handle that better than the more dramatic upsizing and higher gearing on the Sport S. If you weren't planning on up-sizing the tires I'd say stick with the Sport S and save the money though.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Buy whichever one is calling to you! You don’t want to live with regrets your entire ownership period.
By the way, that Rubi looks like a twin to mine! :like:

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I battled this same decision when I started getting serious about getting a JL. Do I order a Sport and modify it or get a Rubi. I opted for the Rubicon. To be honest, I don't know how extreme I will get offroading. BUT, I decided to order something that no matter what I decided to do, it was the most capable factory vehicle available. And quite frankly, I liked the look of the Rubicon much better. It really depends on what you are willing to do financially, as neither decision will be "wrong".

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

Can u share the dealer? $5 off a $40k sport s is pretty big. Thanks.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I'd rather have something in between, i.e. 3..45 gears w/LSD or rear-only locker, LED lights, black fenders, Rubicon upholstery, tires a bit bigger/wider than the Sport S, bigger brakes, 8.4" infotainment, Rubicon hood, etc. Sahara isn't appealing to me because of painted fenders, all the ugly silver trim, and the upholstery is no better than the Sport S (Rubicon cloth looks sweet).

Luckily, FCA has a history of selling that very sort of trim as 'special editions'. I'm just worried it'll be at least 2020 before one appears, and many of the special editions are stupid (Call of Duty, blech).

Folks overlook all of the compromises the Rubicon makes vs. the cheaper trims; it's not just universally 'better', only 'better' in a very specific scenario (rock crawling). It's heavier, slower, rides worse, burns more gas, etc. The extra weight on an already under-powered vehicle is very hard for me to swallow, knowing I'd be on-road 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I, like the vast majority of us, don’t NEED a Jeep at all. It’s far more than basic transportation and I’ve got more vehicles parked at my house than drivers. But like you, I’m opting to get a Rubicon rather than a Sport or Sahara. Why? Because I want it and I can afford it. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve got about $12-$15K of modifications already planned for it as soon as it arrives.

Get what you like. Have fun!

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I, like the vast majority of us, don’t NEED a Jeep at all. It’s far more than basic transportation and I’ve got more vehicles parked at my house than drivers. But like you, I’m opting to get a Rubicon rather than a Sport or Sahara. Why? Because I want it and I can afford it. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve got about $12-$15K of modifications already planned for it as soon as it arrives.

Yahtzee! I like the honesty!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yahtzee! I like the honesty!
I reread my post and I hope it doesn’t come across as braggadocious. It’s not meant to be. I’m just saying that there isn’t a need for anyone to be apologetic or feel bad for spending their own money however they want unless they’re neglecting their family’s real needs. I don’t get that OP is doing that, so more power to him and his Rubi.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I reread my post and I hope it doesn’t come across as braggadocious. It’s not meant to be. I’m just saying that there isn’t a need for anyone to be apologetic or feel bad for spending their own money however they want unless they’re neglecting their family’s real needs. I don’t get that OP is doing that, so more power to him and his Rubi.
I don't think anyone took it that way. I like Rubicons but they just weren't for me as a practical expense or as a daily driver so I went with the Sahara. I won't look down upon anyone that has a Sport and I would hope nobody with a Rubi would get smug about their own Jeeps either.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito

Exactly this....I bought the rubicon because it looked a lot better off the lot. I added ace rock rails and a winch and I'm happy for now. In case I ever get stuck on the expressway on my daily 40 minute commute, the winch will help me. :cwl: Or maybe one day, it'll actually see some trails.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't think anyone took it that way. I like Rubicons but they just weren't for me as a practical expense or as a daily driver so I went with the Sahara. I won't look down upon anyone that has a Sport and I would hope nobody with a Rubi would get smug about their own Jeeps either.
Agreed. Many of the most badass older Jeeps I see are the cheapest trim available at the time - with $30K worth of upgrades! Lol. I’ve asked owners and many of them are so hardcore that they would have ripped out and replaced the upgradedparts of the Rubicon anyway, so it makes sense to go Sport and not pay extra for them since they’re being upgraded anyway.
Sponsored