Sponsored

Stripped bolt on Mopar Hinge Reinforcement Kit - Ugh!

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So today, my OCD got the best of me and I fully replaced the half-a**ed torx bolts that Mopar supplies with the reinforced hinge kit. No one should try and torque down to 35 pounds on a torx head bolt. I had one round off (see above) then I bought an allen head one and nearly did the same thing prior to getting to full torque setting.

I noticed that the replacement bolt had started to show some rust around the rounded off head and I had to use an easy-out extractor to get the frigging thing out.....what a treat that was, but it came out.

I ended up finding boltdepot.com that allowed me to buy the correct size bolt in a hex head. The only down side was that I had to spray paint them since they were not black oxide and they were unable to find any black oxide bolts with the specs we need.

Here is my order:
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.05.22 PM.jpg

Here is the paint job:

IMG_0274 2.jpg

Here is the finished product:

IMG_0275.jpg
Sponsored

RL48

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 - JLUR
So today, my OCD got the best of me and I fully replaced the half-a**ed torx bolts that Mopar supplies with the reinforced hinge kit. No one should try and torque down to 35 pounds on a torx head bolt. I had one round off (see above) then I bought an allen head one and nearly did the same thing prior to getting to full torque setting.

I noticed that the replacement bolt had started to show some rust around the rounded off head and I had to use an easy-out extractor to get the frigging thing out.....what a treat that was, but it came out.

I ended up finding boltdepot.com that allowed me to buy the correct size bolt in a hex head. The only down side was that I had to spray paint them since they were not black oxide and they were unable to find any black oxide bolts with the specs we need.

Here is my order:
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 6.05.22 PM.jpg

Here is the paint job:

IMG_0274 2.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg
Thank You, i purchased these Bolts and they worked perfect. Way better then the ones provided

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thank You, i purchased these Bolts and they worked perfect. Way better then the ones provided
Glad it helped!

Sponsored

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Exact same problem here. The mopar part 68413358 to get new bolt would be $100 and more parts that I do not need. Thanks for the tip on the bolt depot. I may look into getting those. but I do wish I could just get that piece and not have to take the whole thing apart for this one bolt.

Edit: the more I look at the BobK's photo the more I like it. It does look better than the other torx bolts and a better design for torque. Went ahead and ordered them up from bolt depot and will do the same fix. Thanks BobK for the part numbers and photos

Last edited:

Radar25

First Name
Reinaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Murphy's Law was in full force today in my garage!

I decided to install the Mopar Hinge Reinforcement Kit along with the Oversized Spare Tire Relocation Kit. Everything went beautiful until the last frigging bolt. I was literally torquing the last # 4 - "M10 Button Head Cap Screw T45" when the torx wrench failed to bite all the way to the torque setting (it worked on the prior three)

Fortunately, I was able to get the bolt back out before it completely rounded out, and then went to find a replacement. My first stop was my favorite old timey hardware store, where you can still buy one bolt and one washer at a time, not a dozen in a blister pack. They had one, but more to come on that, it was close in length but didn't have the non-threaded area at the tip (no biggy). They didn't have a black washer so I bought a silver one and sprayed painted it.

Just for grins, I stopped at the local Jeep Dealer, after some confusion they were able to find the Mopar parts list for the Hinge Reinforcement Kit, but the bolts part number includes all the bolts in the entire kits (not broken out separately) while they had none in stock they told me to expect it to cost $40-60 and all I need is one bolt.......

Lowes and Home Depot were a bust, noting even close. So I came home to install the one I found at the old timey hardware store. Guess what? Before I got to the full torque setting the torx wrench started to round out the bolt again. Before anyone jumps up and down, I used a different wrench than the first time.

So now I'm wondering how to get the original Mopar bolt (or two) without spending $40-60 for a bolt kit that I don't need.

Any thoughts, suggestions or spare bolts would be appreciated......LOL

Pic's below are of the bolt in question (#4) and the remains of the first bolt I ruined.........

Jeep Wrangler JL Stripped bolt on Mopar Hinge Reinforcement Kit - Ugh! IMG_0275
Just want to say thanks just had same issue n hunted all over stores trying to find n then happen to come across your post life saver for sure

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yep, was actually going to remove my mopar reinforcement on my 392 and the Torx bolt stripped immediately, even with a hand wrench. Why on earth you would ever use a soft Torx head on a bolt and torque it down is beyond me. Now I get to drill out a bolt, awesome.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Reasonable question, It is a T-45 and I have several complete sets and both times I used the T-45.

The same T-45 fitting worked fine on the three other bolts.
Not to be too pedantic but are are you sure it's not a T-47?

Adeno101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Anyone have the size for the metal spacers behind these bolts? Was sold a kit without the bolts or spacers đź‘Ž plan to get a metal washer the same size

mjinxed

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Here is my order:

Here is the paint job:

Does anyone know details on the bolts used to hold on the tire carrier? The manual lists them as "M8 13mm Hex Bolt with Washer" but doesn't say length or thread type. I tried looking them up with that info on boltdepot.com but only finding bolts with Partial Thread or JIS Full Thread, neither of which I think is correct.
Sponsored