Sponsored

LED tail lights - like or not?

Do you like the look of the new LED taillights, or just original looks of the regular halogen tails?

• Total voters

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I am torn on upgrading to the LED tail lights. Yes, I know LED's are better as being visible and lower wattage, but it almost seems like those "X" tail lights that the Renegades have.

Which do you prefer?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will most likely very soon replace the backup bulbs with LEDS from Diode Dynamics and the current ones don’t provide enough light for me backing up

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I will most likely very soon replace the backup bulbs with LEDS from Diode Dynamics and the current ones don’t provide enough light for me backing up
I put the diode in my front turn signals (the switchbacks) and are awesome! The also work as daytime running lamps

Last edited:

Ninazu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / 2019 KL Trailhawk
I was showing my Jeep to some friends that had a soft top TJ back in the day. Two things that the wife "wowed" on was the ease of the new softtop and the cool looking LED tail lights.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was showing my Jeep to some friends that had a soft top TJ back in the day. Two things that the wife "wowed" on was the ease of the new softtop and the cool looking LED tail lights.
I do love the one-handed soft top fold down!

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have the LED package but will slowly add LED bulbs, the biggest thing I liked on the Mopar headlamps. Is the halo rings.

@JeepJL18 how hard was it to install the switchbacks, I know you have to install those resistors and I’m told they get hot.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don’t have the LED package but will slowly add LED bulbs, the biggest thing I liked on the Mopar headlamps. Is the halo rings.

@JeepJL18 how hard was it to install the switchbacks, I know you have to install those resistors and I’m told they get hot.
Easy as pie. BUT do not use the wire splicers they give you. They are cheaply made and just a sad product. Splice the wire and use heat shrink connectors. Prob took me 5 to 10 min per light from start to finish. EASY MOD.

The link below is how to do the heat shrink connectors. You can get them at lowes for a few bucks. They also keep out any water or salt from the road.

Also yes the resistors get hot, but there is a nice little place to hide them under the fender on a metal platform. No worries on melting.

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I like the look of the Halogens better, that is just my preference.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I prefer the halogen housings with LED bulbs, diode dynamics has great products and even better customer service. Now, my DRL's are another story, and make me wish I had gone with LED lighting from the start.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I actually love the fuel can look of the LEDs. But then again, I like the Renegade. Trying to talk the missus into one; not my style, but there's just something damn loveable about the little things.

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
I’ve had both on my Sport S and the LED ones are much better looking and way brighter. My son said the LED lights could be seen from the ISS!!

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Love the LED headlight visibility - especially over the JK’s
Taillights, IMO, look good too, but the brightness of the back-up lights SUCK!
I’ve got Rigid Ignites I want to get back there soon.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got sport with Led taillights, best decision i made!
I bought the LED lights yesterday...hopefully they will be here from Mopar in a week or so. Atleast they aren't backordered :)
Sponsored