Rusting welds

Silverback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I just got done inspecting mine and I have the same issues around the welds. Its not pretty. Sounds like Jeep is not concerned. This is only a small sampling of what I found.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.49.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.12 PM.png

There’s gonna be rust on all bare metal. What it looks like with the top picture is the bad weld was found and a repair was attempted in the QA offline area of the assembly line by someone who can’t weld real well. Just a guess.
Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
These welds are showing issues with shield gas. Poor shield gas does not necessarily mean a lack of weld integrity. They are mostly just ugly, pitted, splatter and hot.
The lack of weld integrity is mostly seen in the track bar bracket outer weld. Quite a bit of pressure is placed on this bracket. The two professional welders I took the Jeep to both immediately agreed, then took out calipers and several other inspection tools and looked at the outer track har weld. They both said that because of the amount of "holing" and/or severity of porocity that it compromises the weld. They both also noted that calibration of the weld line onto the top of the bracket was off, meaning the the weld just barely sits on top of the very edge of the bracket, compromising coverage. This is exacerbated by at least one side weld that it undercut and also starts off as a round glob, then tapers down to almost smooth with the bracket, which is a weld that's not thick enough to provide weld integrity. It doesn't fit in any way the FCA standards for welds:

"FCA spec is 6.4mm (sum of diameters) per 25mm of weld." (From what we found through searching)

The two guys I had look at it have a combined 45 years of experience in automotive and boating welding with a combined 19 certifications. So. I think I'll go with their expertise on this one. :)

Last edited:

Silverback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
The lack of weld integrity is mostly seen in the track bar bracket outer weld. Quite a bit of pressure is placed on this bracket. The two professional welders I took the Jeep to both immediately agreed, then took out calipers and several other inspection tools and looked at the outer track har weld. They both said that because of the amount of "holing" and/or severity of porocity that it compromises the weld. They both also noted that calibration of the weld line onto the top of the bracket was off, meaning the the weld just barely sits on top of the very edge of the bracket, compromising coverage. This is exacerbated by at least one side weld that it undercut and also starts off as a round glob, then tapers down to almost smooth with the bracket, which is a weld that's not thick enough to provide weld integrity. It doesn't fit in any way the FCA standards for welds:

"FCA spec is 6.4mm (sum of diameters) per 25mm of weld."

The two guys I had look at it have a combined 45 years of experience in automotive and boating welding with a combined 19 certifications. So. I think I'll go with their expertise on this one. :)
Yeah, that’s a no brainer. Apparently you got some really shitty welds. Are you gonna have them fix it or let Jeep do it. I build Toyota pick ups (body weld robot maintenance) and see errant welds from time to time but not like these. Someone needs to reteach their robots and fix this. We would have corrected this immediately.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, that’s a no brainer. Apparently you got some really shitty welds. Are you gonna have them fix it or let Jeep do it. I build Toyota pick ups (body weld robot maintenance) and see errant welds from time to time but not like these. Someone needs to reteach their robots and fix this. We would have corrected this immediately.
I have an appt early tomorrow morning with the dealership service dept. for the welds and the steering issue (sway/loose steering). So, we will see! I come prepared with an independent inspection from two top welders in NC and a 3 page document from a lemon law attorney documenting all the findings. I still love the Rubicon. I just don't think it should be my responsibility to deal with these horrible welds rusting and falling to pieces in 1 year, especially with some trips to the coast and some mudding planned.

Will post back what they say tomorrow.

TWEAKNC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I was at the dealership and they put it on the lift and they found more. Even they were a bit shocked at what we found. Chrysler and Jeep are involved at this point so now I just wait. Thanks for everyones input! There is a bigger issue with the quality and production going on at this point. These should have never left the factory.

Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was at the dealership and they put it on the lift and they found more. Even they were a bit shocked at what we found. Chrysler and Jeep are involved at this point so now I just wait. Thanks for everyones input! There is a bigger issue with the quality and production going on at this point. These should have never left the factory.
Yikes! That sucks. I'm guessing that'll be the case with mine up on the lift tomorrow for my appt. Do you have any idea what they'll do, or at least some indication?

I spoke to the service advisor this morning and he said they don't fix welds and they don't send vehicles off to anyone else to repair welds either. So, looks like, at least from his comments, that nothing will be done except perhaps a new vehicle? I don't know what options are beyond that?

Which dealership do you go to? I bought mine I'm Wendell. Live in Rolesville.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
And then there is this from the NHTSA site. Someone else posted this earlier.

Capture.JPG

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I don't have pitting, but just some areas with the orange colored paint chipping. Would you guys advise to just paint over this with Rust Paint? Thanks.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I don't have pitting, but just some areas with the orange colored paint chipping. Would you guys advise to just paint over this with Rust Paint? Thanks.
Not certain but that “orange” substance is most likely slag. I don’t think paint will stick to it long term. I believe it must be removed first then painted to cover the exposed metal. May want to do more research.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I just canceled my order for a fully loaded billet silver Sahara. Was really looking forward to my first Jeep, but the rust issues along with wind noise, hard top buffeting, and what seemed like a blown gasket on the tear down video made me think twice. No new car at any price point should have problems such as these. With all the advanced manufacturing technology available today, looks like Jeep really missed the mark instead of capitalizing on an iconic model. Is there no quality control at Jeep? Bummed and disappointed.
You have me thinking?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any updates you can share with your situation?
Ive put my updates in the weld issues thread. Basically on july 19 they offered a buyback. Then the person offering went on leave due to death in family. The next guy from corp refused the buyback. Been fighting with them since. Colorado region head has banned any dealer from scheduling me for service. Hoping for some headway this week because the person who went on leave should be back in. Also have been talking to a bunch of news stations.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As some of you know I had bad welds on my JLU sport. I've gone through 2.5 months of headaches with Jeep Cares, and Mike Manley's office, and even spoken to people at the plants. Today I finally made some headway and wanted to share with others who might have similar issues (welds, trackbar, steering, etc). I was given to my Local Regional Office's Customer Relations Manager for FCA. After talking to him twice he offered a reasonable plan that I am satisfied with. They are taking care of me. So as long as the plan comes to fruition all should be good again. He is also going make it so dealers are allowed to see my current JL again to have the trackbar bracket checked.

The Manager asked that I refrain from posting too much for details until this is completed but did say that if others are having similar problems to ask your dealers to put your in contact with one of the other Regional Office Customer Relations managers (there are 9 regions) and this should expedite your process. Even though we contacted Mike Manley's office at corporate, he said that it still would have eventually ended up in his hands. Hopefully the contacts you get to in your region are as helpful as the one I have reached.

I will post an update when things are complete.
Sponsored