Sponsored

Official: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Specs, Info, Wallpapers...

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Good advice... I remember watching my high school chemistry teacher burn magnesium strips, and it was blinding! Imagine a whole tailgate full of it going up! Of course, I can't imagine they haven't though of this and tested it... perhaps it is alloyed with something that prevents it from igniting.
Jeep has thought of everything. In a pinch, scrape some magnesium shavings off the Jeep tailgate to help start a campfire. :)

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Payload ratings seem kind of low for the Unlimited Rubicon and Sahara at 892 and 890 lbs respectively.

I also wonder what makes the Sahara weigh more?

How do these numbers compare to the 2017 JKU numbers? (Edit: Found the numbers, they are unchanged from the 2017 JKU.)

Overlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just now noticed the low 1st gear on the manual is, that’s sweet. Impressed at the JL overall.

Sponsored

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Payload ratings seem kind of low for the Unlimited Rubicon and Sahara at 892 and 890 lbs respectively.

I also wonder what makes the Sahara weigh more?

How do these numbers compare to the 2017 JKU numbers? (Edit: Found the numbers, they are unchanged from the 2017 JKU.)
That seems crazy low - cary four large adults, thats 800 lbs right there. I can cary 90 lbs extra? thats basically a winch and nothing else.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
That seems crazy low - cary four large adults, thats 800 lbs right there. I can cary 90 lbs extra? thats basically a winch and nothing else.
The axles are rated for about 6,000 - but the vehicle only has a 5,000 gvwr. Maybe there is a legal reason to have the GVWR limited to 5,000 when it actually looks like it can carry 6,000.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Something I just noticed: the entire Sport fender is one piece. Meaning the surrounding “lip” is really just part of the whole fender, unlike that of the Rubicon’s which is a two piece and has a removable lip.

70D086A3-332D-4D8C-A4FA-01E0916EF7CD.jpeg

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
Something I just noticed: the entire Sport fender is one piece. Meaning the surrounding “lip” is really just part of the whole fender, unlike that of the Rubicon’s which is a two piece and has a removable lip.

70D086A3-332D-4D8C-A4FA-01E0916EF7CD.jpeg
Where did you read the lip was removable on the Rubion? I know Mopar has their fender which is "lipless" that you can get black or painted.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone else concerned that the upgraded Pentastar is being built in Mexico?
I'm glad the JL is assembled in Toledo. Mexicans gotta eat, too, though.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
About the loss of American jobs to Mexico, Yes. From an engine reliability standpoint, No.
I believe they make a few of the Hellcat and SRT engines there.
Agree with both statements. I'd say the biggest risk to Jeep buyers would be if the tariff structure gets changed and raises the cost of importing them for final assembly.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Where did you read the lip was removable on the Rubion? I know Mopar has their fender which is "lipless" that you can get black or painted.
I assumed it was because there is a visual seam, with bolts on the inner portion of the fender against the lip. Looking back at the Sport fenders, the same bolts remain. But there is a seam on the Rubicon that isn’t present on these.

ColoradoJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Liberty CRD
It's removable on the JK rubicon, so it would be surprising if it isn't on the JL. It's a metal bumper with torx bolts holding on the ends of the bumper. It leaves you with the "stubby" bumper they show on the rubicon that doesn't cover the tires.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
It's removable on the JK rubicon, so it would be surprising if it isn't on the JL. It's a metal bumper with torx bolts holding on the ends of the bumper. It leaves you with the "stubby" bumper they show on the rubicon that doesn't cover the tires.
They're talking about fender/flares (don't want to get in the middle of that argument lol), not the bumper.
Sponsored