Sponsored

Oversized tires effect Odometer?

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
Does oversized tires make your Odometer inaccurate? If so is this fixed by a dealer tire size recalibration?

What’s the biggest size a dealer can recalibrate for?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Does oversized tires make your Odometer inaccurate? If so is this fixed by a dealer tire size recalibration?

What’s the biggest size a dealer can recalibrate for?
@yz kid

Sure it affects your speedometer, odometer, shifting points if you have an automatic and more..

You DO want to address the issue asap. You can just go to the dealer and pay them the $125+- for the reprogramming but think twice before you do that.. do your homework so to speak before you do this.

I suggest that you take the $125+- and instead buy a programmer. There are two programmers for the JL right now. The SuperChips Flashcal and the ZAutomotive TazerJL. Both are very decent offerings and both do the job you seek and more.

Do forum search's using the words Superchips, Flashcal, TazerJL, ZAutomotive, programmer. Lots of info to read..

There is even a forum poll that indicates how many forum members went with which particular programmer.

Both SuperChips and ZAutomotive are forum sponsors.

--

As a Rubi owner, I went with the Tazer JL. I'm thrilled with choice. 8-)

OP
OP

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
@yz kid

Sure it affects your speedometer, odometer, shifting points if you have an automatic and more..

You DO want to address the issue asap. You can just go to the dealer and pay them the $125+- for the reprogramming but think twice before you do that.. do your homework so to speak before you do this.

I suggest that you take the $125+- and instead buy a programmer. There are two programmers for the JL right now. The SuperChips Flashcal and the ZAutomotive TazerJL. Both are very decent offerings and both do the job you seek and more.

Do forum search's using the words Superchips, Flashcal, TazerJL, ZAutomotive, programmer. Lots of info to read..

There is even a forum poll that indicates how many forum members went with which particular programmer.

Both SuperChips and ZAutomotive are forum sponsors.

--

As a Rubi owner, I went with the Tazer JL. I'm thrilled with choice. 8-)

Thanks for all the great info, how do these programmers effect factory warranty’s?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks for all the great info, how do these programmers effect factory warranty’s?
Most guys unmarry the programmer from the vehicle and remove all traces of it from the Jeep before driving it to the dealership for service. This way, it's very unlikely you'll ever get asked about it.

If your dealership is run by people who treat people poorly, there is a small chance that the programmer could cause you some issues if you have an electrical warranty issue or something that requires them to dig deep into the ECU, but that is rare and most guys never have an issue.

Now, later on when programmers gain the ability to tune the engine for more power and change how the transmission shifts, that will be more risky. But the current crop of programmers only do a few little things, so they aren't a threat to warranty much at all.

OP
OP

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
Anyone have a 38x13.50R17 done by a dealer?
Sponsored